Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
You are allowed to call you're self whatever you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,840 times
Quote:
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
Technically, from anthropology and genetic stand point, everyone living in America is an "African American"

I don't think I am "White" and it really is a bad term. I am more really light brown with hints of olive tones and red blemishes. Maybe sand would be a better term.

Call yourself anything you want. It really shouldn't matter what shade of brown we are or what color or race we claim to be. We are the human race, that is all that matters to me.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...black folks went from being pegged as black if they got caught eating a piece of chicken to NOW having to PROVE that we're black.

Wow. Amazing. Guess i'd better buy myself an African identity card.

Yea, the southwest is the one part of the country that's pretty damn laid back. The Pacific Northwest is like that too....very colorblind.
I really have to speak like a child to you don't I. Is the lack of comprehension intentional?

Not ALL Black people are from Africa. There are actually WHITE folks that are African American, and they are not black.

Why do you think that being AFRICAN American means you are black, and why do you think that because you are black, you are African American?

Why do you NEED to label yourself? Are you being discriminatory?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Most white people I know dont go around saying that they are white or even talking about it. Why bother its usually obvious. For that matter most the people I know dont identify themselves as anything but american or US citizen.
Too each there own.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
You can call yourself purple for all I care!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Deal?

What do you think?
I don't think anyone has a paroblem with 'African American'. Nor did I know it is offensive

Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think anyone has a paroblem with 'African American'. Nor did I know it is offensive
Me and my family find it offensive, we let people know when they call us African American, that we feel it is offensive and racist

Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I'm an African-American and I'm white and I have the DNA charts to prove my African heritage.

From now on, I'll claim A-A status and get me some free foodstamps, anna car, an' some gas, 'cause I'm an African too. However, I'm not a Negro who seem to feel they should get all these freebies based on their skin color.

Ed, African-American!!
Hey Ed ... aren't we all related to that 1 subhuman person from Africa that branched out ? Even though I'm a white guy, I guess that's what they mean by we're all related. So that makes us distant cousins and me African American also.

I seen it asked before but what about those multi-generation whites from many of the African countries. Aren't they African American ? I wonder if that also makes them a minority who gets special treatment here.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Me and my family find it offensive, we let people know when they call us African American, that we feel it is offensive and racist
I have several friends and family that find "African-American" offensive at worst and inaccurate at best, though admittedly, most Black people I know don't mind and often refer to themselves as "African-American" in more formal contexts. Like with all things, no one is going to agree on one term.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm all for ending any and ALL classifications of race, sex, and religion. I'm tired of check boxes on applications for schools, loans, and what not to identify such things. You want equal rights, then lets try to become a blind society that does not give any preference to any individual in any circumstance. Earn your way on your merits, not your skin color, extra/lacking body parts, or superstitions.
how great would that be if everybody qualified on their merits alone? they shouldn't even be allowed to ask those questions on any forms.

no sex, religion, or race discrimination.

i never understood why any black person would want to self identify with groups of people who sold their ancestors into bondage.

the africans never tried very hard to get them out of bondage, but 600,000 americans died in the struggle to free the slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies