Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
From the New Testament.

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Now I don't know what God considers Rich, but I am sure that he could find them in the top 1%.
That bible you are reading, the computer you are typing at, and chair you are sitting on, the building you are in, the car, train, bus or truck you ride in and the electricity that powers all your cool convenience appliances and gadgets, were all invented by, created by, manufactured by and distributed by the hated 1%. And if you get sick or injured, that 1% will be largely responsible for saving your sorry ass too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
One last Bible lesson for you: "the eye of the needle" has for years now been interpreted by biblical scholars to be a reference to a gate in a city wall in ancient Israel, which was only about four feet wide; thus camels loaded with goods would oft-times have trouble negotiating the passage and bump into the sides.
This was just a myth created by those who wanted to rationalize weath as being virtuous. It has no basis in reality or fact. If you choose to cling to this so that you don't have to change your belief system, that is your choice, but it is simply not true, and reading the whole context of the quote would put it in to proper understanding. Your explanation requires mental gymnastics when a simple understanding is all that is required to discover the truth.

Eye of a Needle

Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That bible you are reading, the computer you are typing at, and chair you are sitting on, the building you are in, the car, train, bus or truck you ride in and the electricity that powers all your cool convenience appliances and gadgets, were all invented by, created by, manufactured by and distributed by the hated 1%. And if you get sick or injured, that 1% will be largely responsible for saving your sorry ass too.
I would like for you to reread your post, this time with a different perspective. I think that you have made my point far better than I ever could. You are basically saying that every thing I have or will ever need is only made possible because of the wealthy. Think about it... It will come to you. What is in conflict with that statement and Christianity. What is your conflict with idolization of the rich and Christianity...think about it. It will come to you.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
I would like for you to reread your post, this time with a different perspective. I think that you have made my point far better than I ever could. You are basically saying that every thing I have or will ever need is only made possible because of the wealthy. Think about it... It will come to you. What is in conflict with that statement and Christianity. What is your conflict with idolization of the rich and Christianity...think about it. It will come to you.
So in your perfect world, no one would create anything of value, or provide goods and services thru hard work nor be compensated in any way for the fruits of their labor?

If I work in the fields all day to grow your food, and the food of others, i will have no time to do those other things to support myself. So I trade the fruits of my labor for some form of compensation from you. According to you, the moment I accept compensation from you, I'm going to hell?? While you, who labor to do nothing at all, and only wait to collect the fruits of my labor, and the labor of others, will go to heaven??

Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I pity you, I truly do. To help you overcome your extreme jealousy and hatred of people who have more Earthly possessions than you do, I'll just leave you with these biblical quotes to help guide you on the right path:

• You shall not covet your neighbour's house, you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is your neighbour's.
  • Matt. 7:1: Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
  • Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
  • You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
  • You shall not steal.
  • Leviticus 19:18: Love thy neighbour as thyself.
Give up the hatred and jealousy. Jesus would want you to, and you'll be a much happier person for it. Harboring that much resentment has ill effects not only on the physical body, but also on the soul. Maybe we can start a prayer ring to pray for your salvation since you seem to be in such need.
You want to start a prayer group for me that is fine. Thank you. However, your efforts may be better served by praying for the wealthy and to cease idolizing them.

I am not the topic of the thread, and I have no anger or jealousy of the rich, however I do not idolize them either. I know very many wealthy people and none that I know are inherently evil they just have made some bad choices along the way. Fortunantly, it is a problem that they can correct.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,103,431 times
Quote:
Ummm..this is just a thought, and please feel free to take it any way you like, but I was just wondering that, if perhaps you were employed and thus didn't have so much time on your hands to lament your position in life, that you might not feel so much animosity for wealthy people? And thus feel the need to hide behind archaic biblical verses? (Verses that, btw, were written such a long time that today they yield precious little insight as to current economic and social dynamics.)

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So in your perfect world, no one would create anything of value, or provide goods and services thru hard work nor be compensated in any way for the fruits of their labor?

If I work in the fields all day to grow your food, and the food of others, i will have no time to do those other things to support myself. So I trade the fruits of my labor for some form of compensation from you. According to you, the moment I accept compensation from you, I'm going to hell?? While you, who labor to do nothing at all, and only wait to collect the fruits of my labor, and the labor of others, will go to heaven??
I don't know what GOd's definition of Rich is. It is not very clear, but my definition of rich would be someone who lives in luxury off of the fruits of OTHER PEOPLE's LABOR.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Ummm..this is just a thought, and please feel free to take it any way you like, but I was just wondering that, if perhaps you were employed and thus didn't have so much time on your hands to lament your position in life, that you might not feel so much animosity for wealthy people? And thus feel the need to hide behind archaic biblical verses? (Verses that, btw, were written such a long time that today they yield precious little insight as to current economic and social dynamics.)
Fortunately for me, I am self employed. I own the building that I work in and every piece of furniture. I have no debts other than operation costs which I pay monthly, and I have never taken one penny in public money other than my pay while in the Marine Corps and student loans, which I paid back.

I know it is easy for posters to try to focus on the poster than to actually debate the topic, but I am not a very easy target to ridicule. I am losing money by talking to you as I bill by the hour, but I enjoy it, which means I will have to finish my real work at home tonight, but thanks for worrying about me.

Most Christians feel that the verse written so long ago have everything to do with their everyday life. Which begs the question, if you are not a Christian, why do you bother posting on this thread?

Do you have anything else to talk about the topic?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Have anyone thought of the fact that all people that occupy that 1% are'nt all bad? Bill Gates comes to mind. The 1% label only tells of their financial position not their personalities. There are some that are legit SOB's. Bernie Masoff comes to mind. Many of your Wall St folks may also fit into this category, on the other hand many atheletes and entertainers do not. I think that the 1% label should be more specific, especially in regards as to who you want to direct your anger towards. How about another name for the people that you are actually pissed off at? How about G.A.Ps (Greeedy Ass People)?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Have anyone thought of the fact that all people that occupy that 1% are'nt all bad? Bill Gates comes to mind. The 1% label only tells of their financial position not their personalities. There are some that are legit SOB's. Bernie Masoff comes to mind. Many of your Wall St folks may also fit into this category, on the other hand many atheletes and entertainers do not. I think that the 1% label should be more specific, especially in regards as to who you want to direct your anger towards. How about another name for the people that you are actually pissed off at? How about G.A.Ps (Greeedy Ass People)?
Well gates has done some good things. So far, Gates and his wife, through their foundation, have given away 18 billion pounds which has helped deliver vaccines to more than 250 million children in poor countries, preventing an estimated five million deaths. "In the 1960s over 20million children died a year. Now that number's down to somewhere between eight and nine million -- clearly that's incredible progress. I like to get to Africa and India at least once a year. I really like having a hands- on experience. I'm not well known in these countries."

However, as for the inheritance of his children, Gates said: "I will give the kids some money but not a meaningful percentage. Setting the number so that they need to work but they feel reasonably taken care of is hard to figure out.

Of course, Madoff also gave a lot of money to charity. Of course, the problem was that it was not his money he was giving away.

As I side note, I think Gates is agnostic and Madoff is Jewish so I don't either of them are really worried that much about Christian Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies