Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Ohhhh, so now it's only the top 1% of US citizens who are going to hell. I get it now. After all, I'm CERTAIN that God takes country of origin into account when deciding who to allow into heaven. Do you have any clue how moronic that sounds? Or are you just that unwilling to admit defeat?

No need to take it to DM, I'm more than happy to publicly humiliate but thanks for the offer.
I thought this was a thread fail. Thanks to your repeated posts to the thread it is a great success. I am sorry that you inferred that 1% applied to the whole world. I would have made it more clear that I was talking about the U.S. if only I had known that there were such limited minds out there. But now you know.

Defeat? Oh you thought this was a debate between you and I? Oh no. As much as peasants believe that the Rich can and will take care of them. Their worshipping of the rich is sadly misplaced. Like I have said. I am not the one that you have to convince. You are free to Debate God all you like. I don't think you will fair well. I just put the scripture out there. If you don't agree with it, or you are agnostic, atheist or another religion that is fine. Everyone has free choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Thumbs up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
From the New Testament.

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Now I don't know what God considers Rich, but I am sure that he could find them in the top 1%.
but what about the poor RWNJs in trailers who "have a direct line to God"

Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
Quote:
I thought this was a thread fail. Thanks to your repeated posts to the thread it is a great success. I am sorry that you inferred that 1% applied to the whole world. I would have made it more clear that I was talking about the U.S. if only I had known that there were such limited minds out there. But now you know.

Defeat? Oh you thought this was a debate between you and I? Oh no. As much as peasants believe that the Rich can and will take care of them. Their worshipping of the rich is sadly misplaced. Like I have said. I am not the one that you have to convince. You are free to Debate God all you like. I don't think you will fair well. I just put the scripture out there. If you don't agree with it, or you are agnostic, atheist or another religion that is fine. Everyone has free choice.
This isn't a debate between God and me. I am not the one making stupid claims that the rich are going to hell based on obscure biblical references, you are. By your own admission, you are one of those "rich people" that you are demonizing. In fact, so much so that you land in the top 16 Million out of 7 Billion people on this planet. That's pretty darn high up on the rich list, dontcha think?

The 'success' of this thread is that you've been exposed as a hypocrite by claiming that the rich are going to hell based on biblical quotes but fail to consider yourself as one of those hell-bound even though (per your claim) your are in the top 0.27% wealthiest persons worldwide. What makes you so special that you're spared an eternity in hell?

Let's do a Q & A:
1)Do you honestly believe that God cares what country you live in?

2)What do you think the arbitrary cut-off for being rich is? You obviously have an opinion, so tell us.

3)Do you think being in the top 0.27% of the wealthiest people in the world qualifies as "rich"?

4)Your biblical references don't specify particular countries of origin as hell qualifiers, so why do you?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 AM

[quote=whatyousay;21641952]This isn't a debate between God and me. I am not the one making stupid claims that the rich are going to hell based on obscure biblical references, you are. ?

{quote]

Actually it is a debate between you and God, according to most Christians. These are scriptures in the bible. They are easy to find. I have cited them for you and they are far from obscure. If you choose not to follow the tenants of the bible that is your choice. You have that choice as does everyone. You seem to have a problem with Christianity. Again that is between you and God, whatever God you serve or no God if that is your choice.

If you want to debate their meaning, that is fine. I would be happy to do that. If you have a problem with the Christian religion that is your choice. There are many agnostics, and atheists out there who would agree with you.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Actually it is a debate between you and God, according to most Christians. These are scriptures in the bible. They are easy to find. I have cited them for you and they are far from obscure. If you choose not to follow the tenants of the bible that is your choice. You have that choice as does everyone. You seem to have a problem with Christianity. Again that is between you and God, whatever God you serve or no God if that is your choice.

If you want to debate their meaning, that is fine. I would be happy to do that. If you have a problem with the Christian religion that is your choice. There are many agnostics, and atheists out there who would agree with you.
I don't have a problem with Christianity, what gave you that idea? I have a problem with your selective interpretation of biblical quotes and their real life applications.

According to you, the rich are destined to an eternity in hell. According to you, you are indeed rich. According to you, you don't qualify as one of the rich destined to an eternity in hell. See the hypocrisy here?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Christianity, what gave you that idea? I have a problem with your selective interpretation of biblical quotes and their real life applications.
How would you interpret this?

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Well maybe having a problem with Christianity was a poor chose of words. You may just not be a Christian. My question then would by why do you care who goes to hell since you don't bellieve in Hell anyway?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
How would you interpret this?

Well maybe having a problem with Christianity was a poor chose of words. You may just not be a Christian. My question then would by why do you care who goes to hell since you don't bellieve in Hell anyway?
Don't know, I'm not a biblical scholar, nor do I care that an ancient text claims the rich are destined to hell. It's not my duty in this thread to interpret the meaning of a biblical passage. My debate is with your interpretation of it.

According to you, the rich are destined to an eternity in hell.

According to you, you are indeed rich.

According to you, you don't qualify as one of the rich destined to an eternity in hell.

See the hypocrisy here?

And, who said I'm not Christian or that I don't believe in hell? My personal religious views in this thread don't really matter. I'm not the one claiming the rich are or are not going to hell, am I?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Don't know, I'm not a biblical scholar, nor do I care that an ancient text claims the rich are destined to hell. It's not my duty in this thread to interpret the meaning of a biblical passage. My debate is with your interpretation of it.
Well it would seem that you agree with my interpretation of scripture...see the bold. SO if you agree with my interpretation of it you really don't have any debate with my interpretation. I am glad you have come around. Now we can move on.

As far as who is rich, my interpretation of the bible is that the rich will have a hard time getting into heaven not simply because they are rich, but because of the sins attributed to having great wealth. This is illustrated in other parts of the bible, what you call "ancient text".

It it is difficult to obtain wealth without sin, without avarice, without covetousness, fraud, and oppression, 1 Timothy 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 6:17; James 5:1-5; Luke 12:16-21; Luke 16:19-31

I hope this gives you a little more clarity on the subject. I do not believe you are a Christian since you have such little knowledge of the bible. It would be like a car mechanic not being able to find where the engine was located. Of course, it is your choice and your right. Of course even many atheist see value in Jesus' teachings in the new testament from a humanistic point of view.

Last edited by hotair2; 11-09-2011 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Well it would seem that you agree with my interpretation of scripture...see the bold. SO if you agree with my interpretation of it you really don't have any debate with my interpretation. I am glad you have come around. Now we can move on.

As far as who is rich, my interpretation of the bible is that the rich will have a hard time getting into heaven not simply because they are rich, but because of the sins attributed to having great wealth. This is illustrated in other parts of the bible, what you call "ancient text".

It it is difficult to obtain wealth without sin, without avarice, without covetousness, fraud, and oppression, 1 Timothy 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 6:17; James 5:1-5; Luke 12:16-21; Luke 16:19-31

I hope this gives you a little more clarity on the subject. I do not believe you are a Christian since you have such little knowledge of the bible. It would be like a car mechanic not being able to find where the engine was located. Of course, it is your choice and your right. Of course even many atheist see value in Jesus' teachings in the new testament from a humanistic point of view.
The actual bible reference itself is irrelevant. I don't take issue with the quote one way or another. You're the one who believes it, which is all that matters. My personal beliefs on the bible are irrelevant, true or false, valid or not. I'm not trying to disprove the bible passage you're quoting. You claim that rich people are destined to go to hell. By your own admission, you're one of the rich. Yet, you feel that you are exempt from the very bible passages that you proclaim to be truth. Typical hypocrisy from the religious left. "Do as I say, not as I do" Sunday-only Christian type of mentality.

And for the record, I never claimed to be Christian, nor did I claim to not be Christian. My personal religious beliefs are irrelevant in this thread so I'm not sure why you're so hung up on whether I'm Christian, agnostic, atheist, or otherwise.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
The actual bible reference itself is irrelevant. I don't take issue with the quote one way or another. You're the one who believes it, which is all that matters. My personal beliefs on the bible are irrelevant, true or false, valid or not. I'm not trying to disprove the bible passage you're quoting. You claim that rich people are destined to go to hell. By your own admission, you're one of the rich. Yet, you feel that you are exempt from the very bible passages that you proclaim to be truth. Typical hypocrisy from the religious left. "Do as I say, not as I do" Sunday-only Christian type of mentality.
See you keep saying You. You even put it in bold, and I keep telling you it is not about me. I don't know why you are having a hard time with this concept. I AM NOT GOD. As much as you may believe it. It is not so. I appreciate your belief that I am devine, but it is just not so. The thread is not about me.

The bible reference is not irrelevant. The hole thread is about the bible reference it was in the original post. I am not immune from God's laws.

I am still curious as to why you are so worried that you may go to Hell when you don't believe in Hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies