Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It didn't bother me at all... I think it's hilarious whenever anyone brags about their net worth on the internet. I wish more would, so I would have more to laugh about.
I agree with this actually and also think it is rather hilarious.

But wanted to also note that in regards to hard work, there are many people who work more hours, yet make less money than another. I know in my office I work more hours than our VP, yet she makes more money than I do. I don't mind though as I like my job. I make more money than my younger brother who works longer hours than I do (he works around 60 hours per week in a factory, I work a standard 40 hour work week in an office). Working hard or working longer hours usually does not equate to earning more money. I have found that the more I have moved up in my positions, the less I work, and the more money I get. I can delegate former responsibilities to others and decrease my workload. I work way less than I did 10 years ago. I am only 32 but I find this interesting. I have worked since I was 17 and started off in fast food. Working for 4.75 an hour was harder than what I do now and I have a lot more leisure time and not a strict work schedule. I frequently work only 35 hours per week but get paid for 40. I feel it has more to do with who you know. I got my job through networking as I knew the former VP of our company, she knew I worked hard and was competent, but she could have easily interviewed a bunch of people and found someone more qualified than myself, especially since I had never worked in the industry that I am employed in but I am a quick learner so she gave me a chance and it worked out.

I think people fail to realize that connections are what matter in most instances in a lot of fields. Not how hard you work. If you know and make relationships with the right people, you will get ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 10:23 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this actually and also think it is rather hilarious.

But wanted to also note that in regards to hard work, there are many people who work more hours, yet make less money than another. I know in my office I work more hours than our VP, yet she makes more money than I do. I don't mind though as I like my job. I make more money than my younger brother who works longer hours than I do (he works around 60 hours per week in a factory, I work a standard 40 hour work week in an office). Working hard or working longer hours usually does not equate to earning more money. I have found that the more I have moved up in my positions, the less I work, and the more money I get. I can delegate former responsibilities to others and decrease my workload. I work way less than I did 10 years ago. I am only 32 but I find this interesting. I have worked since I was 17 and started off in fast food. Working for 4.75 an hour was harder than what I do now and I have a lot more leisure time and not a strict work schedule. I frequently work only 35 hours per week but get paid for 40. I feel it has more to do with who you know. I got my job through networking as I knew the former VP of our company, she knew I worked hard and was competent, but she could have easily interviewed a bunch of people and found someone more qualified than myself, especially since I had never worked in the industry that I am employed in but I am a quick learner so she gave me a chance and it worked out.

I think people fail to realize that connections are what matter in most instances in a lot of fields. Not how hard you work. If you know and make relationships with the right people, you will get ahead.
I think that's true in most jobs that don't require a lot of technical skill -- such as medicine or engineering -- or in cases where someone starts their own business. In the typical office, the same rules that apply to all primates apply -- you get ahead by making yourself useful and amusing to the alpha apes. That requires being competent in most cases, but there is also a lot to be said for being able to talk amusingly on topics that are of interest to the top banannas.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I've said this before, but I'll repeat it for the ignorant...
If you could distribute every penny of wealth in the USA, so everyone has exactly the same amount.
In a couple of years, or sooner, the rich will be rich again, and the poor will be poor again.
If you're not smart enough to make money, and know what to do with the money you make, you will be right back where you started.
Haha, thanks for the laugh.

Do you know what spendthrift trusts are and why they are created?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Haha, thanks for the laugh.

Do you know what spendthrift trusts are and why they are created?
I am sure that was the "if" in the scenario.

The trust funds would be divided too.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am sure that was the "if" in the scenario.

The trust funds would be divided too.
Exactly and those people with spendthrift trusts would probably not become rich again as he suggests, because if what he was saying were true there would be no need for spendthrift trusts.

There is rightwing fantasy and then their are the facts and the facts are their are rich people out there with less then responsible children who want it to be assured that those less then responsible children will rich as well. It has been this way all throughout history.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Exactly and those people with spendthrift trusts would probably not become rich again as he suggests, because if what he was saying were true there would be no need for spendthrift trusts.

There is rightwing fantasy and then their are the facts and the facts are their are rich people out there with less then responsible children who want it to be assured that those less then responsible children will rich as well. It has been this way all throughout history.
Grammar check.

That aside- I really wouldn't worry about people with problems of how to pass along generational wealth...

Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:

But...what if that was gone???

Would these people regain the wealth, live day to day...or, sink???

Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Grammar check.

Grammar Nazis - YouTube

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
It's not purely working harder. You could cut trees down with a hand saw but that wouldn't really be very productive and you'd be killing yourself in the process. You work harder and at the same time smarter. Always looking for a continual process improvement and implementing it as efficiently, and timely, as possible.

That's how a person becomes C.E.O. of a a company. That's how people build wealth. That's how you take over an industry and how you retire early and do it all over again. At that point it's more of a self-challenging thing, a quiet bragging right and a place for your name in the history books.

Sadly, too many people have no idea what continual process improvement is. Our country was forced into it for a short time during the 80's when it was very clear the Japanese were destroying us in the auto industry. We implemented processes and then summarily forgot all about the continuing part.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I grew up poor an lived in a trailer. I worked my butt off from the time I was eight years old. I always had "straight As" in elementary school, junior high, high school, college, and med school. I knew no one would take care of me, except for myself. My father gave me $100 for college. I did not take a dime from the federal government and worked my way through school. Today, I am worth over $20 million. Screw the hippies camping out and protesting AMERICA. I am a "a 1% ter'. To hell with the lazy bums who did not sacrifice and work as hard as I did. Choices in life have consequences- go to hell.

I did not become successful by camping out with dirtbags who are supported by daddy's money and complaining. You should have made better decisions in life, particularly when you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth. You are the dregs of the US and an embarrassment to the principles of a work ethic. Get a job, you bums.

Signed- A "1% ter" who did not have nearly the opportunities you lazy and ingracious dead beats had.
You sound like a terrific human being, just overflowing with compassion. Unfortunately, when you die you won't be able to take any of your possessions with you. The higher the cliff on which you perch, the more things you own, the tighter you are bound. But something you can take with you is compassion. You should try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies