Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
She started a movement that resulted in Bank of America backing off their intention to start charging a monthly debit card fee. That's pretty impressive. Sounds like she has already accomplished something of note with her life. What have you done that's comparable?
10,000 posts in 2 years!! Top that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
That is pretty damn impressive, I have to admit.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Well, that much posting has kept him off the streets, anyway, and judging from what I've read from him on this forum, that can only benefit society.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
You are berating an entire generation for the way they were raised, as if it is their fault. The only thing missing from your post is, "Hey, kid! Get off my lawn!"

Every generation makes this accusation about the ones coming behind it. Here's a great quote, generally attributed to Socrates, that illustrates the point:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

And yet, every generation seems to manage to somehow step up when it's their turn. Get off your high horse. Your generation, whichever one that is, is no better than any other.
Did you read the OP? Do you not see the erosion of personal responsibility in this girls' attitude? Which generation can you attribute an equal share of this same attitude? Answer that for me, and we'll move to the next point of contention.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Did you read the OP? Do you not see the erosion of personal responsibility in this girls' attitude? Which generation can you attribute an equal share of this same attitude? Answer that for me, and we'll move to the next point of contention.
The OP started a post to ridicule a young woman who had a good idea that caught on, and used that to launch a diatribe against her because she is worried about being able to pay back her student loans. There are scores of young people in the same position, because, in case you have been living in a cave, there are no jobs out there. Show me another generation that faced this kind of unemployment since the 1930s.

But in direct answer to your question, here you go. Seems like personal responsibility wasn't high on the list for people who graduated in the 70s and 80s either:

"During the 1980s federal student loan default rates increased significantly. For example, in FY1988, the national student loan cohort default rate was 17.2%, and increased to an all time high of 22.4% in FY1990. As a result, the federal government was assuming a large share of the burden associated with the defaulted loans."

Student Loan Cohort Default Rates

Sounds like an "erosion of personal responsibility" to me, what do you think? Every generation thinks they are so much better than the ones that follow, but history doesn't bear that out.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Good lord, how do you have the energy to be angry about this person with all that's going on?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
The OP started a post to ridicule a young woman who had a good idea that caught on, and used that to launch a diatribe against her because she is worried about being able to pay back her student loans. There are scores of young people in the same position, because, in case you have been living in a cave, there are no jobs out there. Show me another generation that faced this kind of unemployment since the 1930s.

But in direct answer to your question, here you go. Seems like personal responsibility wasn't high on the list for people who graduated in the 70s and 80s either:

"During the 1980s federal student loan default rates increased significantly. For example, in FY1988, the national student loan cohort default rate was 17.2%, and increased to an all time high of 22.4% in FY1990. As a result, the federal government was assuming a large share of the burden associated with the defaulted loans."

Student Loan Cohort Default Rates

Sounds like an "erosion of personal responsibility" to me, what do you think? Every generation thinks they are so much better than the ones that follow, but history doesn't bear that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Good lord, how do you have the energy to be angry about this person with all that's going on?
Because she represents evertything that is wrong with this new generation of entitled and clueless young adults and specifically bears a mighty close resemblance to the 1000's of goons protesting in the streets of OWS. She does NOT respresent the responsible. She represents the losers who are waiting for a handout. Her attitude is a sad commentary on this nation. I'm guessing you haven't been following all the idiocy surrounding OWS, right? Otherwise you'd know exactly what i'm talking about.

So what....She had a "good idea that caught on." That does not absolove her from her hopelessly irresponsible attitude towards her personal obligations, just like being obtuse does not absolve you from ignoring the concerns that I posted in the OP. You can disagree, but you can't ignore it because on its face it strikes a responsible person as ass backwards, and you know it.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 11-08-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
So what....She had a "good idea that caught on." That does not absolove her from her hopelessly irresponsible attitude towards her personal obligations, just like being obtuse does not absolve you from ignoring the concerns that I posted in the OP. You can disagree, but you can't ignore it because on its face it strikes a responsible person as ass backwards, and you know it.
Ah, so I provided proof that other generations before her have been equally irresponsible, which you pointedly ignore, and then you accuse me of being obtuse? You don't want a discussion, you merely want to rant.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Ah, so I provided proof that other generations before her have been equally irresponsible, which you pointedly ignore, and then you accuse me of being obtuse? You don't want a discussion, you merely want to rant.
Student loan default rates do not necessarily represent personal irresponsibility. Did you hear me say that she was irresponsible because she defaulted? No, because she presumably has not defaulted. Further, you've painted yourself in the corner because you yourself used the "no jobs" excuse for being concerned about paying for her loans. Could that not have been the reason for the default rates in the 80's? Of course it could, but you didn't think that far ahead.

You're right, I am not interested in tit-for-tat "they did this, so we can too" arguments. The fact remains that you know exactly what i'm talking about, you just refuse to acknowledge it because it apparently hits way too close to home for you.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Student loan default rates do not necessarily represent personal irresponsibility. Did you hear me say that she was irresponsible because she defaulted? No, because she presumably has not defaulted. Further, you've painted yourself in the corner because you yourself used the "no jobs" excuse for being concerned about paying for her loans. Could that not have been the reason for the default rates in the 80's? Of course it could, but you didn't think that far ahead.
You make no sense here. You seem willing to excuse the '80s generation for default of their loans because there may not have been jobs, but all someone from this generation has to do is worry out loud about the same thing (which is what the OP posted that started this conversation) and according to you, they are irresponsible and looking for a hand out. That's part of what the OWS is about--the lack of opportunity facing this generation due to the greed of those in power in the generations that came before it.

Quote:
You're right, I am not interested in tit-for-tat "they did this, so we can too" arguments. The fact remains that you know exactly what i'm talking about, you just refuse to acknowledge it because it apparently hits way too close to home for you.
It doesn't hit close to home for me at all. I paid off my student loans years ago. But I get it, you hate OWS and all it stands for, and therefore feel the need to paint an entire generation as worthless because they face circumstances beyond their control. Your attitude is part of the problem. Not that you will ever understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies