Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You make no sense here. You seem willing to excuse the '80s generation for default of their loans because there may not have been jobs, but all someone from this generation has to do is worry out loud about the same thing (which is what the OP posted that started this conversation) and according to you, they are irresponsible and looking for a hand out. That's part of what the OWS is about--the lack of opportunity facing this generation due to the greed of those in power in the generations that came before it.

It doesn't hit close to home for me at all. I paid off my student loans years ago. But I get it, you hate OWS and all it stands for, and therefore feel the need to paint an entire generation as worthless because they face circumstances beyond their control. Your attitude is part of the problem. Not that you will ever understand that.
Since you're obviously not able to follow along, let me remind you what the young lady said. Her words, not mine.

Quote:
Why should I be expected to pay them off now?

She's not "worrying out loud." She's questioning her obligations.

I'll give you a hint: It's called a Promissory Note. And she signed it. Does that ring a bell, since you have had student loans?

You really don't get it do you? That's why you're willing to make excuses about past generations to obligingly excuse her of her flawed mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Since you're obviously not able to follow along, let me remind you what the young lady said. Her words, not mine.

She's not "worrying out loud." She's questioning her obligations.

I'll give you a hint: It's called a Promissory Note. And she signed it. Does that ring a bell, since you have had student loans?

You really don't get it do you? That's why you're willing to make excuses about past generations to obligingly excuse her of her flawed mentality.

This woman's wages should be garnished by the government and her tax returns audited every year she is in "default".

Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
If I were in a situation where I had huge college debts and a very limited income I would have to set priorities. First cut housing costs by moving back home. Second cut food costs by mooching as much as I could from Mom and Dad. Third spend what I had on searching for work. This includes a decent internet connection, computer, work cloths and a POS car to get to interviews if any. Paying a substantial part of a limited income to pay off a loan is not on the list until I get enough income to take care of shelter, food, communications and transport by myself first. That is being sensible not irresponsible.

I never supported the private banks involvement in financing college education the first place. I saw that it would become as big a boondoggle as financing wars. Unlike parsimonious government aid to students the private banks would let costs get out of control because the higher the cost the bigger the loans and the greater the profit. I think it is time the private bank student loan system was replaced with a government grant/loan system and the educational institutions go back on a diet. The government loans could be paid back into a continuous fund by placing a surcharge based on a percentage the recipient’s taxable income forever.

The Millennials are no better or worse than any other generation but they have been given false hope that a college education would yield better paying jobs than available to HS Grads. This hope has been crushed by the financial manipulations that resulted in the near collapse of the economy in 2008. That debacle was brought to us by the same greedsters that are ripping off these students. I do not blame these people for being angry. I am way past being a millennial and I am very angry at what has been done to my country over the last forty years.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I were in a situation where I had huge college debts and a very limited income I would have to set priorities. First cut housing costs by moving back home. Second cut food costs by mooching as much as I could from Mom and Dad. Third spend what I had on searching for work. This includes a decent internet connection, computer, work cloths and a POS car to get to interviews if any. Paying a substantial part of a limited income to pay off a loan is not on the list until I get enough income to take care of shelter, food, communications and transport by myself first. That is being sensible not irresponsible.

I never supported the private banks involvement in financing college education the first place. I saw that it would become as big a boondoggle as financing wars. Unlike parsimonious government aid to students the private banks would let costs get out of control because the higher the cost the bigger the loans and the greater the profit. I think it is time the private bank student loan system was replaced with a government grant/loan system and the educational institutions go back on a diet. The government loans could be paid back into a continuous fund by placing a surcharge based on a percentage the recipient’s taxable income forever.

The Millennials are no better or worse than any other generation but they have been given false hope that a college education would yield better paying jobs than available to HS Grads. This hope has been crushed by the financial manipulations that resulted in the near collapse of the economy in 2008. That debacle was brought to us by the same greedsters that are ripping off these students. I do not blame these people for being angry. I am way past being a millennial and I am very angry at what has been done to my country over the last forty years.

The unemployment rate is STILL lower for college grads even in the Obama depression.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
She's 22 years old, and the world knows her name. She forced one of the world's major banks to reverse its position on something. Um, that's pretty successful. What had you done at 22, Aereo? In ten years, this young woman will certainly be a mover and shaker somewhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
She's 22 years old, and the world knows her name. She forced one of the world's major banks to reverse its position on something. Um, that's pretty successful. What had you done at 22, Aereo? In ten years, this young woman will certainly be a mover and shaker somewhere.
LOL

Mover and shaker my ass.

She started a petition and it went viral thanks to the internet and MoveOn.org. Anyone with a video camera and a YouTube account can be a "sensation," especially when the mulit-million dollar Leftist organization like MoveOn tags along.

I didn't chalk you up to being that naive West.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Thank you, Greg. This is what I have been trying to say, but you said it much more succinctly.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:

You don't blame them for being angry. Fair enough. But do you blame them for being stupid? Who takes out a 40K student loan in Art History (as in the OP) and then worries about not being able to pay it back? Four years is not alot of time. Are you telling me that she had some sort of ephiphany worthy of our sympathy?

Art History Greg!! What a joke. It's always about greed, instead of foresight and personal responsiblity. The goons can do no wrong in the eyes of the forum Leftists. Amazing.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 AM

521 posts, read 467,349 times
You leftists morons think she had anything to do with the cancellation debit fee? They were planning on not doing it in the first place. Online petitions are nothing but a joke.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Well, that's refreshing to hear. But when I read the sentiments of the girl in the OP, I nearly become nauseated. How does a nation rally behind a girl with such poor comprehension of life in the United States? How does that happen? And yet, Leftist organizations are drooling over her. A very sad commentary on our country indeed.
Well, if we're blaming people... How about the idiot generation that came before us who RAISED all these kids to have an inflated sense of self importance? Perhaps the blame lies elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies