Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times

Advertisements

I'm a Democrat and I go to church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:27 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
A Majority of Democrats Seldom or Never Go to Church
That may explain why they're so miserable and hateful all the time

Attending Religious Services Lowers Depression Risk And Raises Optimism

Old 11-12-2011, 05:28 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,033 times
Too bad since the majority of them need Jesus.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
That may explain why they're so miserable and hateful all the time

Attending Religious Services Lowers Depression Risk And Raises Optimism

Again, as posted earlier, only 36% of Americans go to church regularly.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Wisdom = facing mortality soon. Meet your maker.

There are no atheist in the foxhole.

Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers

In Memory of Atheists in Foxholes

Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Heh. Old Danish saying: "It's better to sit in the pub and think of the church, than sitting in church and thinking of the pub."
Classic, thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
My post upthread was in defense of those who don't regularly attend, but I will say that not all those who attend are hypocrites.

I actually miss the sense of community provided by the church, and I do think that many of the church members go to improve themselves and to give to their fellow church members, and also to do charity in their communities. And let's face it, when your children are parents are sick or injured, kneeling and asking God for grace and guidance is very natural. And the fellowship and rituals do work for me on a personal level.

I still love singing hymns, and love the feeling of good will and comradery with God and my fellow parishioners I feel when I worship. But I don't live in a town with a church I like, and I really don't like the church in my business at all.

So, as a cultural institution and source of solace, I think the church is good for many people. But I don't feel the need to judge others who hold different opinions, even athiests. All said, I am a devout Unitarian, which infuriates my Evangelical Mom, but it is that or nothing. I would conclude by saying my tolerance and compassion for others comes largely from learning about and interacting with people from many cultures, not from my religious training.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
I went to church when I was baptized.
My parents took me once on Christmas.
I went once because my girlfriend wanted me to - that was Christmas again.
Then I went when my Cousin got married.
Another Christmas, I took my wife to a 1200 year-old church.

I am retired. Next time I'm going, it's probably because someone decided to drag my dead body to church.

As a child, I don't think I was either Democrat or Republican. I did know, however, that Christian stories intellectually made absolutely no sense to me even though I could certainly appreciate "the moral of the story." As I grew older, I started to understand why these stories didn't make any sense: Because they don't.

Now, did my lack of faith make me lean to the political left?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
So ... the point you're struggling to make is that Democrats are going to Hell?
Well, I lean left and would be much more likely to vote Democrat than Republican. I generally do not go to church unless there is some obligation that forces me to go - but I am not some belligerent your-religion-is-stupid-and-I'll-rub-it-in-your-face person, either. Most importantly, I do not embrace Jesus as my savior (nor do I buy into any of the various religious doctrines). Clearly, then, I am going to "hell."

I am ignorant regarding the precise definition of "hell," of course, but I would assume that "hell" would be individually tailored in an attempt to most efficiently deliver eternal torment. Thus, "hell" would likely look differently depending on personal preferences.

Jesse Helms is forever etched into my memory as an absolutely despicable person. He, however, considered himself to be doing's God's will and hence, felt assured that he would go to "heaven" upon his demise.

My personal "hell" would be to spend eternity with the likes of Helms. Does that mean that I am going to "heaven?" This stuff is sooooo confusing.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Too bad since the majority of them need Jesus.
One doesn't need church to find Jesus. Considering most conservatives I've dealt with who claim to be good, church going Christians, wouldn't know Jesus if he smacked them upside the head, church does no good in finding him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies