Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
How can they have 47% unemployment when there's a shortage of nurses? My sister got her Bachelor's degree in nursing last year and she already had a job 2 days before her graduation ceremony and her starting salary was $29/hr. I realize this is merely an anecdotal case, but I thought I'd share some experience in that regard.
There has not been a "nursing shortage" for a number of years now. For one thing, the recession brought many nurses out of retirement as their spouses lost jobs, and caused many to go from part-time to full-time for the same reason. For another, nursing school enrollments have been rising over the years, as people have figured out that it is a career that offers a pretty good salary. Supposedly a large number of nurses are in their 50s/60s, and will soon start to retire. Till then, it can be hard to get a job in certain places. That's not just me blathering as usual, that's what I've read in the nursing literature.

'Don't Call Us, We'll Call You' : AJN The American Journal of Nursing
The health-care sector is booming. So why are nurses having trouble finding jobs? - The Washington Post
Has Nursing Been Overhyped As A Career Choice? - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There has not been a "nursing shortage" for a number of years now. For one thing, the recession brought many nurses out of retirement as their spouses lost jobs, and caused many to go from part-time to full-time for the same reason. For another, nursing school enrollments have been rising over the years, as people have figured out that it is a career that offers a pretty good salary. Supposedly a large number of nurses are in their 50s/60s, and will soon start to retire. Till then, it can be hard to get a job in certain places. That's not just me blathering as usual, that's what I've read in the nursing literature.

'Don't Call Us, We'll Call You' : AJN The American Journal of Nursing
The health-care sector is booming. So why are nurses having trouble finding jobs? - The Washington Post
Has Nursing Been Overhyped As A Career Choice? - Forbes
I see, then I suppose my sister was lucky to have found a job so soon? I also assumed there was a shortage because I see a lot of foreign nurses in the psych clinic I work at and at the hospital I volunteer at here in Houston. I assumed the shortage was making these institutions seek out foreign nurses.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I see, then I suppose my sister was lucky to have found a job so soon? I also assumed there was a shortage because I see a lot of foreign nurses in the psych clinic I work at and at the hospital I volunteer at here in Houston. I assumed the shortage was making these institutions seek out foreign nurses.
Your sarcasm is duly noted. Your sister may have been lucky, well connected, in the right place at the right time, had good references, etc. The links I posted are from reputable magazines.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your sarcasm is duly noted. Your sister may have been lucky, well connected, in the right place at the right time, had good references, etc. The links I posted are from reputable magazines.
I wasn't being sarcastic, I apologize if that's how my response was perceived.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I am very surprised by this list. I did not expect to see horticulture, mechanical engineering, nutrition and chemistry on this list. Where is history?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Columbia University has a "journalism" graduate course in "creating narrative" (i.e., fiction)

Quite telling.
Narrative is not limited to fiction by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I am very surprised by this list. I did not expect to see horticulture, mechanical engineering, nutrition and chemistry on this list. Where is history?
There is art history though it is not the same thing.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb The 20 Most Useless College Degrees - Hundreds Of Thousands of Degrees Awarded In This Crap Annually!

Just look at it this way, folks...

The most useless college degree is worth a whole lot more than the fanciest GED.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:54 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
What needs to be on this list a few years from now are the degrees of the government bureaucrats. Make 'urban planner', 'public administration', etc among the most useless degrees.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
According to the stats, it's a useless venture except for the very select few that land a good job at one of the fashion houses you mention. The rest? They get to wallow in their debt in their parent's basement and behind the counter at 7-11.
Same rule applies for theatre arts and film studies. I would not, however, turn my nose up at agriculture. Many highly-respected state universities maintain close ties to the farm community, and a variety of college-taught skills (business, for example) are useful when a son returns to the farm. My brother, a veterinarian and later a public official in agriculture, met his wife through a program run by the State Agricultural Extension Network -- it can come in handy for an "aggie" "stranded" back in his home town.

And developing an agriculturally-based business (even an "organic" enterprise designed to manipulate the touchie-feelies and technophobes) can pay off quite nicely a few years down the road. Sometimes, the kid who never left the farm is one of the richest guys in the frat at Homecoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies