Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Poor choices ? Who declared pizza as a vegetable ? Who allows wood pulp to be used as filler in food ?

lol, the goverment does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011;21853445[B
]Are you serious?[/b] I assume that you are. Do you really want the government telling you what you can or can't do in your life? Get real man, this is a free country not a communists country, and we want it to remain that way. If you want the government to take charge of your life go to N Korean or Iran or other places that are not free countries. To answer your question......hell no I don't want the government involved in my life.
You stole my first three words I was going to write!

Scotty's answer though is not mine.

The answer is: IT DEPENDS.

NO - I do not want govt involved in most personal aspects of my life - who the heck does!
What I DO want govt to do though is to be involved in aspects of my life where it is not so much an Individual issue, as it is a Societal issue. I do want them to build & maintain roads - I sure can't. I want them to assure the safety of foods & drugs - an individual is not qualified to know what is in them & what they do or what their manufacturers are doing. I do want them to provide for my safety - I cannot be my own police force. Stay out of my bedroom & my personal life, but do stay in my life as a member of a Society.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
Poor choices ? Who declared pizza as a vegetable ? Who allows wood pulp to be used as filler in food ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
lol, the goverment does.
lol, more government, please.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,741 times
A prime example is the new banking rules and fees while the interest rates wouldn't interest anybody.Our Money Market you must maintain an average balance of $2500.00 or pay a $3.00 monthly fee if you do not keep a $1000.00 monthly average in your Checking acct. you will receive no interest for your money.

Everytime these potentates say they are helping or making things better in reality they make things worse while they enrich themselves.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
There is one rule in my little world - I belong to myself - The state has no ownership over me..over my body - or over my thoughts, values and beliefs. Secondly my offspring - the product of my body - are MY property and not the property of the state. Lastly - the state is all about economics - codes of behaviour that favour a certain status quo...and a judical system that is run like a club of farmers who look at the human population as their herd to harvest from...sorry - The government are there like a mechanism to govern...Like the governor on an engine - to keep it from becoming damaged - The governments job it to maintain the health of all of society - There job is NOT to dominate and abuse and use - They are our servants - not our masters!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
You stole my first three words I was going to write!

Scotty's answer though is not mine.

The answer is: IT DEPENDS.

NO - I do not want govt involved in most personal aspects of my life - who the heck does!
What I DO want govt to do though is to be involved in aspects of my life where it is not so much an Individual issue, as it is a Societal issue. I do want them to build & maintain roads - I sure can't. I want them to assure the safety of foods & drugs - an individual is not qualified to know what is in them & what they do or what their manufacturers are doing. I do want them to provide for my safety - I cannot be my own police force. Stay out of my bedroom & my personal life, but do stay in my life as a member of a Society.
Exactly. It's not a black and white situation. No government=anarchy, chaos. We need laws, we need standards, we need some protection. Do I want them telling me I can't eat fries made from animal fat? No. I wouldn't eat it anyway but if I ate it a few times it's not going to kill me.

Do I want them to test foods for salmonella or botulism? You bet!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
A prime example is the new banking rules and fees while the interest rates wouldn't interest anybody.Our Money Market you must maintain an average balance of $2500.00 or pay a $3.00 monthly fee if you do not keep a $1000.00 monthly average in your Checking acct. you will receive no interest for your money.

Everytime these potentates say they are helping or making things better in reality they make things worse while they enrich themselves.

My bank told me the same thing when I had in excess of 50k in the bank. I said really?

I took every penny out the same day in cash and dont use banks anymore.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is one rule in my little world - I belong to myself - The state has no ownership over me..over my body - or over my thoughts, values and beliefs. Secondly my offspring - the product of my body - are MY property and not the property of the state. Lastly - the state is all about economics - codes of behaviour that favour a certain status quo...and a judical system that is run like a club of farmers who look at the human population as their herd to harvest from...sorry - The government are there like a mechanism to govern...Like the governor on an engine - to keep it from becoming damaged - The governments job it to maintain the health of all of society - There job is NOT to dominate and abuse and use - They are our servants - not our masters!
But give the servant enough authority to make decisions for you and they will become the masters and you the servant.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM

656 posts, read 648,277 times
Quote:
But give the servant enough authority to make decisions for you and they will become the masters and you the servant.
You need to read "Nudge" by C. Sunstein. It's about how government can promote healthy choices in our lives.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:51 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Quote:

Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies