Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:40 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,572,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
You need to read "Nudge" by C. Sunstein. It's about how government can promote healthy choices in our lives.
They tend to institute only those laws which in some fashion enrich and empower themselves. They care nothing for the people that they are supposed to serve. They think the people are there to serve them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Is anarchy far preferable to the government we have now?
Even though you infer it, this is not an either/or situation.

You seem to indicate that without total government control there would be anarchy. False premise and a typical type of government fear mongering.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Yet you were on the Black Friday thread, complaining about that behavior. That is how people behave with "freedom".
Totally off topic and a false premise on your part.

Not a suprise from you.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:56 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,399,574 times
Oh sure, a gov't that kept a National Helium Reserve untill 1996, established in the 1920s when helium airships were considered vital to the national defense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Helium_Reserve

A government that gave women and Indians the right to vote less than 100 years ago, and segregated blacks and whites in the military and schools until little over 50 years ago. A government in which all the richest counties and cities are clustered around Washington DC--all in the name of helping the poor. Why wouldn't I give over all trust and faith to such a gov't? Why wouldn't I simply bend over and let them have their way with me?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 AM

[quote=wutitiz;21862954]Oh sure, a gov't that kept a National Helium Reserve untill 1996, established in the 1920s when helium airships were considered vital to the national defense.
National Helium Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A government that gave women and Indians the right to vote less than 100 years ago, and segregated blacks and whites in the military and schools until little over 50 years ago. A government in which all the richest counties and cities are clustered around Washington DC--all in the name of helping the poor. Why wouldn't I give over all trust and faith to such a gov't? Why wouldn't I simply bend over and let them have their way with me?[/quote]

That is what the 0-bama health care mandate is for....

Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM

30,372 posts, read 23,840,056 times
Quote:
Yet you were on the Black Friday thread, complaining about that behavior. That is how people behave with "freedom".
I have the right to complain, I do not have the right to DENY them what they want to do.

How is that even REMOTELY the same as the government controlling us? You really do not have ANY reading comprehension, do you?

And to clarify, here is the HORRIFIC thing I said on that thread:

"Good God that is way too many people. Wally World is horrid enough...add in Black Friday? NO!

If I didn't have to work today, I'd continue to hide in my house away from the lunatics. As it is, I have to deal with these twits out on the roads.
"

(The number of people was in reference to a few videos of people fighting over games in Wally World.)

Yes, jujuliluiojuludlunu, that is EXACTLY LIKE the government controlling people.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 11-26-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,685,683 times
Quote:
You need to read "Nudge" by C. Sunstein. It's about how government can promote healthy choices in our lives.
Wait a minute, adults SHOULD be able to make healthy decisions. If an ADULT thinks a cookie or candy bar is good for them, then they need to do some reading on the Internet to figure it out. DUH! Aw heck, why not just open a Biggest Loser Cookbook? Why allow the government to make the decisions for the those of us who have figured out that McDonalds shouldn't be eaten for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week?

Anyone who needs the government to make decisions for them is a BABY.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,015,729 times
Quote:
We have the greatest system of government in the world.

It is known as the most perfect system in the history of the planet.

Why would you not trust government to make necessary interventions in your day to day living, especially when most Americans make such poor choices (eating junk foods) on their own free will?

As another poster indicated, as an adult, I don't need the government nor anyone else telling me what I can and cannot consume!

The 3 biggest lies you will ever hear.

1. The check is in the mail.
2. I won't c** in your mouth,
-and-
3. I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 AM

178 posts, read 268,769 times
Quote:
We have the greatest system of government in the world.

It is known as the most perfect system in the history of the planet.

Why would you not trust government to make necessary interventions in your day to day living, especially when most Americans make such poor choices (eating junk foods) on their own free will?
because having the greatest government in the world is kinda like saying you have the best Ford Pinto...........

there is some things the government should worry about.........like justice.....not what 'im eating

Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,107,860 times
'I'm from the government and I'm here to help you'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies