Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists/Agnostics: Do You Celebrate Christmas?
I am an atheist and I do celebrate Christmas 36 39.13%
I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas 10 10.87%
I am agnostic and I do celebrate Christmas 41 44.57%
I am agnostic and I do not celebrate Christmas 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why do Christians and Muslims feel the need to convert me and "save" me and tell me about their "belief">

Seems they are looking for power and control or maybe approval.
I'm Christian and I've never once tried to convert anyone. Do I talk about Christ if the subject is broached? Absolutely. But talking about Christ does not equal an attempt to convert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But people who worshipped coconuts probably killed for that too. People who had the wrong accent for the area they were in were murdered for that.

People accidentally wandered onto the wrong farm were killed for that.

People who didn't pronounce the kings name properly were killed for that.

So what's your point?
People who killed for coconuts aren't getting ticked that others bring it up, nor that some holiday is the sole celebration of their religion.
You get the point.
Nice attempt at deflection.

Quote:
I always get a kick out of people who have to declare themselves an atheist or agnostic. Just keep your stupid beliefs or non-beliefs to yourself. You'll be praying to God or Allah or someone at the end of your life, you'll be frightened of that black abyss waiting for you.

Bunch of attention cravers. Pfft.

How about this, try showing people respect and let them believe what they want? If you don't believe, then just stay home and shut your trap?
Ah, the irony of your statement.
If you would practice what you preach to others, the world would be a better place.
How about you keep your religion to yourselves and we'll shut up.
Until then, not so much.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
You are a Sikh family, "observing" a "Christian holiday" with "Christian" customs, so, why wouldn't you? Do you do it as not to feel left out?
I would imagine that he/she is not participating in the "Christian" customs associated with the holiday, but rather participating in the "American" customs that have become associated with the holiday.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Sure I do. Trees, stockings, presents, lights, nutcrackers...you don't have to be religious to have fun with that stuff.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why do Christians and Muslims feel the need to convert me and "save" me and tell me about their "belief"?

Seems they are looking for power and control or maybe approval.
I've never tried to "convert" anyone. It would never occur to me.

I believe in a very strict separation of church and state but I also believe that Christmas is a Christian Celebration that has been hijacked by Souless, moral less people. A lot of the Christmas traditions that have been attacked by lawsuits are just meanness and spite.

It's just too bad people can't live and let live.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Which would include letting those of us who aren't Christian celebrate Christmas, right?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
I disagree that Christmas is now commercialized. Yes, there is gift-giving, but the spirit is still the same. It is not just about making sure your house is the best decorated on the block. And it is denial in the highest degree to now declare that Christmas isn't a Christian holiday (just ask the rabid Happy Holiday folks).

Christmas, to me, is the one holiday that makes most atheists look like hypocrites. It would seem that if Christianity disagrees with something fun, you are totally against it and deem the religion a fairy tale. But if a particular Christian tradition is fun? Eh, we'll overlook the whole Christ thing.

If Christians really were the type of people that were relentlessly trying to recruit people, it would seem that Christmas would be the perfect time to do it while you're all groggy on egg nog.

Last edited by ChocLot; 12-04-2011 at 11:16 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
I've never tried to "convert" anyone. It would never occur to me.

I believe in a very strict separation of church and state but I also believe that Christmas is a Christian Celebration that has been hijacked by Souless, moral less people. A lot of the Christmas traditions that have been attacked by lawsuits are just meanness and spite.

How about it, you and your religious folks start first.

I live in Germany.
It's a religious country and one doesn't see the rabid faux religiousity here.
It's so cute to listen to religious US citizens.

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Your reaction is a bit extreme. Whether "stolen" or not, Christmas is ALL about celebrating the birth of Christ. Whether your celebration includes church service or not, you are still celebrating Christ's birth.

It is very interesting to me to see the things that non-believers pick and choose. I guess if the holiday is fun, you'll overlook that whole "Christ" thing. Was having a conversation with someone earlier and I wondered how wide spread this is...I guess for the most part, Christmas is the one time that atheists don't mind being Christians.
No.....Christmas is not "all about celebrating the birth of Christ".

Christmas is about what YOU choose to believe it is about.

Just because someone puts up a tree, decorates the house, and exchanges gifts does NOT make them a Christian.....how absurd.

And.......as others have pointed out, Christmas was originally a Pagan holiday......Christians just wanted to get in on all the fun. LOL

Now, if you want to get into "picking and choosing", isn't that what Christians do with the bible? Pick and choose which parts they want to believe in and follow?

Last edited by Annie53; 12-04-2011 at 11:05 PM..

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
but the spirit is still the same
You don't need to be Christian to have the "spirit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies