Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
The banks give much more to the democrats. Easy info to find.
Presidential Candidates: Contributions by Sector, 2012 Cycle | OpenSecrets

Yeah, you're right. Easy to find.

Easy to find that Republicans in this election cycle are getting roughly 75 percent of donations from the finance sector.

Now, put the crayons away, study hard, and come back when you have some facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Banks took a risk and it went south. Then they were rewarded for doing so by BOTH parties. What did they learn? nothing , and they will do it again.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
There was nothing inherently wrong about Fannie Mae, just like there was nothing inherently wrong with private banks. They both ended up engaging in extremely risky business practices. If this were a case of Fannie Mae getting it wrong but the private sector getting it right, you might have a stronger argument. But that's not what happened, is it?

And enough of this b.s. about the government strong-arming banks into making bad loans. That is a bunch of fairy-tale nonsense. It's revisionist history. I think it's otherwise known as a bold-faced lie.
How do you feel trying to convince people you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't. That is called an ignoramus. Yes banks were FORCED to make these loans. ACORN even stormed a financial meeting board room and demanded these things with the use of violence. The Bush Admin even warned Bawny Fwanks and his cronies about the mess and that F&F was in serious trouble and they vehemently denied it. Look where we are now.

Congressional Report: ACORN/SEIU a Criminal Conspiracy – Connected to White House – Played roll on mortgage collapse! (http://republicans.oversight.house.gov/images/stories/Reports/20100218followthemoneyacornseiuandtheirpoliticalal lies.pdf - broken link)

Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
It is not revisionist or a lie. I have bankers in the family. I have bankers as friends. They have no reason to lie to me.
Yeah, well that fact doesn't keep you from posting b.s. on the internet, does it?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
How do you feel trying to convince people you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't. That is called an ignoramus. Yes banks were FORCED to make these loans. ACORN even stormed a financial meeting board room and demanded these things with the use of violence. The Bush Admin even warned Bawny Fwanks and his cronies about the mess and that F&F was in serious trouble and they vehemently denied it. Look where we are now.

Congressional Report: ACORN/SEIU a Criminal Conspiracy – Connected to White House – Played roll on mortgage collapse! (http://republicans.oversight.house.gov/images/stories/Reports/20100218followthemoneyacornseiuandtheirpoliticalal lies.pdf - broken link)
Oh right, I'm supposed to read some b.s. report written by republicans that vindicates republicans.

For the last freaking time: banks were not forced to make sub-prime loans. The sub-prime loans were not even regulated federally.

How do you guys seriously, legitimate, with a straight face-like, explain the fact that the CRA had been around since the 1970s without these sorts of problems?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Housing for everyone is not currently available but providing it is a good idea.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Housing for everyone is not currently available but providing it is a good idea.
A good idea? Really? Well how do we pay for it? And why should no one have to work for things?

And I really hope you're talking about having shelter and not actual homeownership.

FWIW, I don't think people should be without shelter. I think some of the RW comments are a bit harsh. In today's economy, people sometimes can't find jobs or can't work enough or for enough pay - no matter how hard they try - to afford necessities. However, I think charities and families should help people over the government. And, if government is helping, it needs to be very temporary and it needs to be state/local, not federal.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-07-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I do not think housing is a right. I work in housing and feel this way.

In the case of this family in the articles I would also wonder why and how they have been homeless for 10 years. There are many agencies that help homeless families get into a permanent home. Also I'm sure that NYC has a housing authority. In most places homeless families (especially women and children) who primarily reside in a homeless shelter are given priority when it comes to public housing units (projects) and Section 8 vouchers.

I knew a crazy woman personally in my hometown who moved to my hometown from Detroit into a homeless shelter because it was a guarantee to get moved to the top of the Section 8 list. She moved herself and her 3 kids into a homeless shelter for 2 months and sure enough she got a Section 8 voucher and took it and rented an apartment way better than mine. We worked at the same place and made the same hourly rate.

Many people do similar things and "work" the system in this way. This family must have some sort of issue beyond homelessness to contend with. The person I mentioned above did have a job, which is required of section 8 applicants and she did whatever they wanted her to do to get Section 8. Some people don't want to do anything and just want someone to work the system for them and honestly that is what I thought after reading the articles in the OP.

Housing is not a right. If people have problems finding housing the government will already assist them via housing authorities, especially if those people have children. There are way too many private, religious based, and governmental agencies that help the homeless for there to be able bodied, sane, non-mentally challenged people to be homeless in today's society with children. Some people do fall on hard luck and are ashamed to ask for help but even those people if they are sane and not mentally challenged will not want their kids sleeping on the street and will do whatever it takes to keep that from happening.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
There was nothing inherently wrong about Fannie Mae, just like there was nothing inherently wrong with private banks. They both ended up engaging in extremely risky business practices. If this were a case of Fannie Mae getting it wrong but the private sector getting it right, you might have a stronger argument. But that's not what happened, is it?

And enough of this b.s. about the government strong-arming banks into making bad loans. That is a bunch of fairy-tale nonsense. It's revisionist history. I think it's otherwise known as a bold-faced lie.
The private sector mortgages wouldnt have been issued without Fannie/Freddie guarantees..

Spare me the bold face lies until you understand what happened, like your claim that Barney Frank tried to reform the industry..

STOP LYING

Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Yeah, well that fact doesn't keep you from posting b.s. on the internet, does it?
You mean like your claim that Barney Frank tried to fix things? Clearly you are correct about one think, anyone can post bs on the internet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies