Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then you were not well-taught as that contradicts any number of papal edicts.

For example, in Humanus Genus issued by Pope Leo XIII all Americans are condemned to Hell for eternity, because they elect their leaders without consulting with the Pope.

The Imperial Roman Catholic Church truly does “speak proud words and blasphemies.” Some examples are:

1) The Imperial Roman Catholic Church claims (and continues to claim to this day) that the Pope is the head of the church. Paul, speaking of the supremacy of Jesus of Nazareth, states:

Colossians 1:18 He is the head of the body, the church, as well as the beginning, the firstborn from among the dead, so that he himself may become first in all things.

2) The Imperial Roman Catholic Church claims (and continues to claim to this day) that the Pope is the Judge of the Living and the Dead (see the Catholic Encyclopedia Volume XV). That is contradicted by any number of verses in the New Testament.

3) The Imperial Roman Catholic Church claims (and continues to claim to this day) that “it is necessary for salvation to be subject to the authority of the Roman Pontiff” (see the Catholic Encyclopedia Volume XV).

4) The Pope has authority above all and is subject to no authority (a restatement of papal authority by Pius VI, who fortunately died in captivity before he could blaspheme again).

5) The Pope holds “upon this earth the place of God Almighty" (a restatement of papal authority by Leo XIII, who must have taken a brief time out from berating and condemning the United States and Americans to issue forth more blasphemy).

6) The Pope “has from on high an authority which is supreme, above all others and subject to none" (a restatement of papal authority by Pope Pius XI in 1929 after Mussolini gave the pope 100 acres of land for Vatican City, paid reparations and recognized its sovereignty).

How sad is it than an atheist has to educate a christian?
It is a shame some people can't have a discussion without insults.

Only in your wildest dreams.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
See that is why I am glad I don't have a gov office job. I would not be able to put up a little Christmas Tree (free to express) or a Cross in my office! Not to mention saying a blessing at lunch time before I eat.

Doesn't matter if I am offended for not being allowed to do so...as long as I don't offend the others...
I see decorated trees in most government offices, and many people have religious related items, both in their work area and on their person.

Too many of today's so called Christians, are more about the attention they can gather, then the words and deeds of their non-Christian namesake.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
There is no difference

Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, for 200 years since the Constitution was composed and signed, it was Ok to celebrate religion on Government property. But now in the last few decades it is not Constitutional and the last 3 years it has been crucified?

I'm I missing something that happened?
It's still ok to celebrate religion on government property

Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Speaking of religion and the government. When I was in boot camp it was mandatory that we attend religious services. Hmmmmm.
So I guess that means we should repeal freedom of religion and pass a law dictating people attend religious services. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
So, the very guys that composed and signed the US Constitution, the same guys that held Church services in the Capitol, did not know what they meant when they composed the US Constitution?
You do know that when it came to freedom of religion Thomas Jefferson put atheists and polytheists on the same level as those that believed in one God right?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
You're right it was fragmented a bit so I went to KLTV and there is a much better write up: Nativity scene controversy sparks heated debate - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |

It says that the pastor is going to hold a meeting on the courthouse lawn. I'll be curious to see how far he gets with that as those meetings always come with, prayers. You know what I said about praying on gov property...

I scrolled down to read the comments. A commenter posted a link to another story similar in content: Hundreds Show Support For Community

Is that the same as this: County of Allegheny v. ACLU - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

I'll close this with a quote on the second story from a commenter:

"I’m as far from actively religious as one can get, I actually tend to agree more with the group coming into town to protest – but come on, they aren’t even from the area, it doesn’t effect them in any way what-so-ever. Seems like a group of intolerant bullies bent on forcing their beliefs on other people and that’s normally christian’s jobs. Locals, if they don’t like this, should protest as it has to do with their town, not a big ol’ group of strangers who will leave once its over."

Once again I will say this, however, in a different way. People don't know what it is like until they are on the receiving end of it. That cage is going to get poked one too many times.

PS: Was it you that mentioned Christian organizations in schools saying all were okay with that? Got another for you...
High school crucifix painting meets controversy - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |
"In Chesterfield, VA, on a wall in the middle of James River High School, a huge cross with a Bible quotation has been painted by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. The painting is raising concerns and the eyebrows of the American Civil Liberties Union as some questions whether it violates the constitution." {my bold}
By painting a "huge cross with a Bible quotation" on the wall of a public high school, the Fellowship has crossed the line between private and public. I'm sure the Fellowship could pray their little hearts out in any part of the school building - as long as it did not interfere with regular school activities - and no one would care. But, by painting on the school wall, they've placed a permanent symbol of a specific religion in a public building. I'm sure the Fellowship will ultimately be ordered to paint over this religious display.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
This is perhaps the most poorly reasoned post I've read on this forum to date.

How can Congress enact a law which provides freedom from religion when the very same Congress is prohibited from making any laws which prohibit the free exercise of religion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
It makes sense in the context that the bill of rights applies only to the government. The government is prohibited from limiting our exercise of religion, and it is prohibited from establishing a state religion (freedom from *government* religion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So Congress needs to enact a law which prevents them from enacting a law?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Uh, yeah. That's what the bill of rights is - a set of constitutional amendments that prevent the government from restricting our rights.

Notice the part where it says "congress shall make no law?.."

OK, so now Congress needs to enact a law to prevent them from enacting a law which is already prohibited by the Constitution and will only apply to Congress?

Believe it or not, we already have this law and it's called the First Amendment.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
There is a big move to interpret Freedom of Religion, to mean Freedom from Religion.

What was the original intent?

Is this helping or hurting the USA?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress "shall make no law respecting" "or prohibiting". It's pretty clear English. They can't make any law favoring or prohibiting any religion. They must be neutral.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
A teacher leading the class in prayer, is completely different from leading prayer before a football game.

in the first instance the child/person is a captive audience with no choice in the matter. The second everyone has the choice to be there or not, to participate in the prayer or not.
I fail to see the difference. So an atheist kid can't play football, unless he also wants to be indoctrinated into christianity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies