Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,448,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49;
Gay divorce will be interesting.... who pays the alimony???
[/b]

Why is it interesting?

Are you people so uneducated and ignorant of laws that you don't understand that alimony can and does flow from WOMEN to MEN in a heterosexual divorce?

It's all dependent on income and assets, and is sex neutral. A high earning woman who for years supports a "house husband" may very well be liable for alimony.

These questions and mentalities are inexcusable. Why do I get a feeling so many of the social conservatives on City-Data live in 1950s land, instead of the real, grown-up world the rest of us reside in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
One more nail in the coffin...

... of religious gestapo and small-minded based oppression of tax paying Americans. Yes.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,227,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why is it interesting?

Are you people so uneducated and ignorant of laws that you don't understand that alimony can and does flow from WOMEN to MEN in a heterosexual divorce?

It's all dependent on income and assets, and is sex neutral. A high earning woman who for years supports a "house husband" may very well be liable for alimony.

These questions and mentalities are inexcusable. Why do I get a feeling so many of the social conservatives on City-Data live in 1950s land, instead of the real, grown-up world the rest of us reside in?
Actually I do understand the law and quite educated. But you instead choose the douche route.

How often do you see alimony passing from women to men?

What I am saying is.... I wonder what type of alimony awards will be in these cases... Is one person responsible to keep the other in the lifestyle they are accustomed?

Forced subsidizing, lol

Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,799,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

The 1950s? I'm still questioning whether the social conservatives here actually live on Earth.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,177,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
The ban on same-sex marriage was overturned in California. The link below includes the reasons why.

Prop 8 OVERTURNED: Gay Marriage Ban Struck Down In California

"...with liberty and justice for all". All means everyone !
Day late and a dollar short. Story was Updated: 05/25/11 06:15 PM ET

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Actually I do understand the law and quite educated. But you instead choose the douche route.

Right. You throw up typical screed about gays "parading around in everyone's face acting like everyone owes them" and I'M the one that took the 'douche route?'

Newsflash: Gay people ARE OWED something... equality, and the right to not be discriminated against based on sexuality. Nothing more, nothing less. Until it is achieved, get used to hearing about it. No gay people are clamouring for reparations, affirmative action, or anything that doesn't apply to EVERYONE ELSE.

As tax paying citizens, gays are entitled to everything YOU are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49
How often do you see alimony passing from women to men?
It happens when the circumstances are appropriate. Just because more men support women doesn't mean the law doesn't apply equally to both sexes. That's a function of culture, not law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49
What I am saying is.... I wonder what type of alimony awards will be in these cases... Is one person responsible to keep the other in the lifestyle they are accustomed?

Forced subsidizing, lol
I recently met a married gay couple who have two young kids they had through a surrogate. One of the guys has a finance job. The other stays home and takes care of the kids. If this is a pattern that continues for... oh... 20 the next 18 years, and suddenly they get divorced, then the one with the finance job is likely to have to pay alimony to the one that gave up his career to raise the kids.

Just like in straight relationships.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM

39,901 posts, read 26,597,293 times
So much for democracy and the will of the people. Why don't we just quit the facade that we have a republic and assign a dictator?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,799,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So much for democracy and the will of the people. Why don't we just quit the facade that we have a republic and assign a dictator?
Hi, welcome to Civics 101. We are a Constitutional Republic, not a direct democracy. There is no will of the people except for our elected representatives. The people do not vote on civil rights. That's called Tyranny of the Majority.

Why you people don't understand how our government works I'll never know. But seeing as 70% of Americans can't even name the 3 branches of government or at least 3 members of the Supreme Court, I guess it shouldn't surprise me. Americans are generally stupid.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,125,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why do you hate our Constitution so much?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,478,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Hi, welcome to Civics 101. We are a Constitutional Republic, not a direct democracy. There is no will of the people except for our elected representatives. The people do not vote on civil rights. That's called Tyranny of the Majority.

Why you people don't understand how our government works I'll never know. But seeing as 70% of Americans can't even name the 3 branches of government or at least 3 members of the Supreme Court, I guess it shouldn't surprise me. Americans are generally stupid.
What? Clueless I see. State's issues like this are voted on among the PEOPLE! Direct Democracy here. How could it NOT be direct Democracy when it is only ONE state voting on something? Do you even know the difference between State governments and the Federal government? The reason this was left to the people to vote on is because IT IS NOT A CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies