Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Detroit schools?

Explain.
In another thread a while back you said you lived in Detroit, sorry if I thought you grew up in Detroit but that was the impression I got in that other thread (which was concerning how Detroit ranked last in reading comprehension in America)

Old 12-10-2011, 03:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
In another thread a while back you said you lived in Detroit, sorry if I thought you grew up in Detroit but that was the impression I got in that other thread (which was concerning how Detroit ranked last in reading comprehension in America)
I lived there, yea, but most of my education was completed right here in Arizona.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:48 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Slavery in the North

Slavery was legal in all of the 13 Colonies and, at times, some areas of the North had higher rates of slaveholding than the South: A comparison of 1703 tax records shows that 3% of taxpayers in Boston were slaveholders, 7% of those in Philadelphia, and 42% of those in New York City. As this last figure indicates, slaveholding was more than an upper class phenomenon. Enslaved Africans were so cheap and plentiful in New York City that even working-class people could, and did, choose to own them. It also speaks volumes about the depressed price of manual labor, white or black, and of the difficulty of free labor to compete with slave labor. The constitution of the Vermont Territory (1777) prohibited slavery, but rather than freeing the enslaved, it required slaveholders to remove them from the territory. The history of abolitionism should not be romanticized; while the majority of individuals acted out of moral rectitude, others acted out of self-interest.

Slavery in the North, Washington, and Oney Judge

So you ancestors could have been slaves in the North.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Slavery in the North

Slavery was legal in all of the 13 Colonies and, at times, some areas of the North had higher rates of slaveholding than the South: A comparison of 1703 tax records shows that 3% of taxpayers in Boston were slaveholders, 7% of those in Philadelphia, and 42% of those in New York City. As this last figure indicates, slaveholding was more than an upper class phenomenon. Enslaved Africans were so cheap and plentiful in New York City that even working-class people could, and did, choose to own them. It also speaks volumes about the depressed price of manual labor, white or black, and of the difficulty of free labor to compete with slave labor. The constitution of the Vermont Territory (1777) prohibited slavery, but rather than freeing the enslaved, it required slaveholders to remove them from the territory. The history of abolitionism should not be romanticized; while the majority of individuals acted out of moral rectitude, others acted out of self-interest.

Slavery in the North, Washington, and Oney Judge

So you ancestors could have been slaves in the North.
Technically you're right, but the chances are generally pretty slim.

Most of us (unless your family has been in the Northern states for a whole bunch of generations, and that's not the case for the overwhelming majority of us) trace our lineage to the south. If we're lucky, we MIGHT be able to trace it back to a certain plantation, and even that's fairly difficult.

So to trace your lineage back to slavery in the North is difficult as hell, unless like i say, your whole black lineage was in the northern states. I have never in my life met a black American that has no southern heritage at all. Especially with the amount of intermarriage with blacks from the south to north diaspora.

So again, you're technically correct, but the chance is pretty darn slim.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Just the same old race-card play again.

Yes, again.

The civil war was never about race, until Lincoln used the Emancipation Proclamation as a political ploy to keep England out of the war. It was a brilliant move and crystalized the "good vs evil" mission of the war. Keep in mind that the war was not started over slavery, it was started over the issue of state's rights.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:56 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
<wink><wink>

And we know who gets to write the history books don't we....

You sound like a person who has a chip on their shoulder, I guess you're for reparations for slaves too.....
Why do people lower their arguments from that of stupidity to one of lunacy??

Reparations....

What a way to intellectually throw in the towel!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The civil war was never about race, until Lincoln used the Emancipation Proclamation as a political ploy to keep England out of the war. It was a brilliant move and crystalized the "good vs evil" mission of the war. Keep in mind that the war was not started over slavery, it was started over the issue of state's rights.
Code word for the continuation of slavery and it's expansion into the western frontier.

You are correct, it was about state's rights...

Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Code word for the continuation of slavery and it's expansion into the western frontier.

You are correct, it was about state's rights...
The only reason why they wanted slave states made out of the Indian Territory, New Mexico and parts of Mexico was to continue the equilibrium of free/slave states in the US.

By seceding the forfeited that, the only thing they wanted out of Arizona/North Mexico after that was a future Pacific port.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:24 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
I think I should be allowed to have a few slaves today if I can afford them. I'll take them in any color though. I'm not a racist.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"The South’s alternative vision of the good society was defeated in the Civil War, and our 20th-century history can be told as a narrative of halting progress toward greater tolerance and equality. The major plot points include regulations on corporations in the early 1900s; women’s suffrage in 1920; a social safety net in the New Deal; the Supreme Court’s rejection of Jim Crow laws in 1954; the civil rights and feminist movements of the 1960s; the gay rights victories since the 1970s."

The Rise of the New Confederacy: How America-Hating Right-Wingers Took Over the GOP | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet

Did the Civil War ever really end? Or was it passed on to the children of the south?
I was in the military down there in Georgia many years ago. The south is physically a beautiful place but honestly I would not want the majority of the residents there anywhere near my residence. I was glad to get out of there. And no, I am not going to vote for one to be President either. To be a leader you should be a reader. That is why I am supporting Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies