Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What part of unemployment insurance don't you understand?

My father worked from the time he was 16 until he was pushing 70 years. For most of those years, his employer paid into the the unemployment insurance benefit program FOR CASE JUST LIKE THIS. You do understand that unemployment is not quite the same as being on welfare? You actually have HAD to work a job to receive benefits. More money was paid into unemployment than he will ever probably collect. It is an insurance program.

He is not sitting on his butt to reap the rewards of $250 a month. He actively looks for work and will take a minimum wage job if offered. Hasn't happened. No one wants to hire a 70 year old man. When his benefits run out, he will continue to seek work because he is healthy and doesn't want to sit at home. He likes working. He is not starving and doesn't need to have a job but wants one. He, and most of his company, were laid off. It is due process for them to collect what was paid in on their behalf if they cannot get a job to provide them livable wages.

your correct, the original 26 weeks is nothing like welfare. The federal extension is the same exact thing as welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Blah blah blah, I'm getting screwed through no fault of my own.

The program didn't exist when you defaulted. That sucks for you. Bad timing on your part. Doesn't mean you deserve to have access to it now. I went out and bought a top of the line Samsung LED TV when they first came out. Shortly thereafter, they started bundling them with Wifi and apps. My timing sucked. I didn't write Samsung and demand they give me those features, though.

Personal accountability. Learn it.

Yes, again, I'm happy to pay what I owe and to pay my fair share. I'm not happy about having had to pay FIVE FIGURES in excess costs. Being poor is expensive. And I think there shouldn't be special programsd for "special" people whose parents had good timing - they themselves didn't DO anything to deserve special treatment. Let everyone live under the rules I did. No special treatmengt.

Fair enough?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
your correct, the original 26 weeks is nothing like welfare. The federal extension is the same exact thing as welfare.

So the additional weeks are paid by taxpayers now versus the unemployment insurance pot?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I decided to get a degree useful for the purpose of getting into law school. Also I had a minor in comp sci which I thought would be useful.

I graduated in the early 80s at the bottom of a recession, in a region which was arguably in a depression at the time, and from which two-thirds of new graduates were fleeing for jobs in other parts of the country. (I had wanted to move to Houston but couldn't afford it.)

I have been doing low-wage jobs since then...delivering pizzas, data entry, convenience store. Jobs with no future. Apparently the useful life of a degree sans career-related experience is five years, as my resume abruptly stopped getting interviews at that point, at which time I essentially became unemployable in any sort of career.

I've been working on two related projects that are likely to actuallly have a good financial return within the next year, but that would have happened a lot faster if I hadn't been financially strapped, which is to say I would have been able to pay off the loan faster if I had been able to make affordable payments.

Hold up....you've been blaming "the system" for keeping you down for thirty years?!?!. Not once in that 30 years did you ever think to apply for a job as a police officer or prison guard (requirements: High school diploma)? Not once did you ever think to spend 30 dollars on a CCNA book to obtain a network certification? Not once did you offer yourself up as a teacher at some rural elementary school, where they're always short on teachers (not that I think you're qualified for that role as I think in order to teach, one should have a degree in something useful, but a lib arts degree seems to get your foot in the door in that field)? You never spent your weekends in a library, or any of the million other things you could have done to try and better your situation?

You've been wallowing in a cesspool of your own self-pity for three decades?

Oh. My. God.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,007 times
exactly. its federal and not available in states where the unemployment rate is lower then a certain percentage, I think its around 6%

Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
So the additional weeks are paid by taxpayers now versus the unemployment insurance pot?
The last extension of benefits cost taxpayers 188 billion dollars (read it in a Yahoo article not too far back).

Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sure, I'd be almoist paid off if the government hadn't taken THOUSANDS out of my payments for "fees".

Shouldn't other borrowers also pay an equal share of their poverty level incomes? Under IBR people can actually live above the poverty level and have zero monthly payments.

Also, the inability to get affordable payments has cost me many thousands of dollars in higher living costs - at one point I was stuck paying 73 percent of my income for rent, because I was unable to save up any money to move to a cheaper place.

So I've been paying way more than I should be paying.
Correction: more than you THINK you should be paying.

You live in the same country, with the same opportunity as millions of other Americans. Americans that succeed. You just chose, for whatever reason, through the years, to live like you do. You blame others for that fact, but the fault lies with you. There was absolutely nothing to stop you from changing your life.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
exactly. its federal and not available in states where the unemployment rate is lower then a certain percentage, I think its around 6%

So, I was just reading that the extended unemployment is still paid out of the unemployment insurance fund; however, some states have run out of money in those funds (six states I believe) and they've had to go to the federal government for a loan to continue to pay out mandated benefits. So for now, it's still not taxpayer funded, technically, until the government takes on those loans and pays out itself.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
The sheer ignorance displayed on this thread by the usual suspects just makes me nauseous.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
What part of unemployment insurance don't you understand?

My father worked from the time he was 16 until he was pushing 70 years. For most of those years, his employer paid into the the unemployment insurance benefit program FOR CASE JUST LIKE THIS. You do understand that unemployment is not quite the same as being on welfare? You actually have HAD to work a job to receive benefits. More money was paid into unemployment than he will ever probably collect. It is an insurance program.

He is not sitting on his butt to reap the rewards of $250 a month. He actively looks for work and will take a minimum wage job if offered. Hasn't happened. No one wants to hire a 70 year old man. When his benefits run out, he will continue to seek work because he is healthy and doesn't want to sit at home. He likes working. He is not starving and doesn't need to have a job but wants one. He, and most of his company, were laid off. It is due process for them to collect what was paid in on their behalf if they cannot get a job to provide them livable wages.
Why can't he live you with you? He doesn't get social security?

It used to be folks took care of their parents in old age now the kids just sit by and watch the old man look for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies