Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,352,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
By the way, earlier you said I have a degree, I don't have a degree, my formal schooling didn't go past 9th grade. Further proof that the IT industry kicks ass, if a guy like me can make $40-100 an hour.
Well, that certainly explains a few things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,871,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, that certainly explains a few things...
Oh more cheap shots. Brilliant. Had I wasted my time sitting in a classroom for 3 more years doing nothing I wouldn't be making 75 bucks an hour right now so the joke ain't on me.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,227,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Um...where did you go to college? An undergrad is 4 years, and a masters is two.
Some Master's are 2 (as in 60 hours), some are only 1 (as in 30 hours).

I know people who took 6 years just to get a Master's. Why? Because they just couldn't get their thesis together. I know another who took over 4 years. Why? Because one of the professors on his board left, another went on Sabbatical and there were other issues, all of which were beyond this person's control. They just had to deal with it (or start over).

You can do an undergrad in 3 years. I did 5 years in 3 years by taking courses over the summer (but still did not graduate at that time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
That's the exception not the rule.
Well, at this point, I am well aware of the fact that undergraduates often take 5-6 years now, because it is damn near impossible to enroll in the required courses, because stupid idiots are handing out government-backed Student Loans like they are candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I have said:
-That if you are unemployed for 26 weeks, that happens. Hope you find something soon.
-That if you are unemployed for 52 weeks....you're coming reeeal close to a line, and you should evaluate why you are still unemployed.
-That if you have been unemployed for 99+ weeks and are looking forward to this latest extension of the UI benefits? Congratulations, you're a deadbeat.
I would accept that as more than reasonable.

I never did like Ed Bradley much as a 60 Minutes correspondent, but he did impress me once. While doing a segment on home-haters, one of the home-haters said they had been "homeless" (snicker) for 7 years, because he couldn't find a job. And Bradley, to my amazement, mustered up the courage to ask, "Did you ever think about moving to another city or State to find work?"

Which left the home-hater stunned (he babbled, but never answered the question directly).

How sad is it that little-brain Homo Erectus had more common sense than most Americans. If you can't find a job, move to where there are jobs. That's especially true for the under-30 crowd.

Compare the following:

I, uh, um, you know, graduated in 2011, but, uh, I never, um, you know, I couldn't find a job anywhere so I couldn't work in my, uh, you know, degree field, but uh, I have, uh, um, you know, been working part-time at Taco John's for the last, uh, 6 years or so, and uh, I know how to make a Taco Bel Grande really good, and I've only been written up 34 times for texting/surfing on my Blackberry instead of working and I sort of remember, you know, uh, some of the stuff that was taught in class.

versus

I graduated in 2011, then went to Germany looking for work, but ended up at a small private company in Orly, France working in my degree field. After 3 years, I took a position at Proctor & Gamble's manufacturing facility in Timisoara, Romania where I reported directly to the Comptroller.

Which one of those will get hired?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 834,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The reality is the money being spent now on unemployment benefits is coming from my tax dollars that I pay in. Money, which is the product of my hard work whatever it is I do, is forcibly taken from me by force and coersion (tax laws) and given to someone who hasn't earned it.
Lucky for you, that you were born healthy, and not autistic, or blind, or missing limbs... lucky you didn't have to go over to Iraq because there were no jobs, get blown up by an RPG. Lucky for you you benefitted from a public education system, affordable college loans. Yes, you "earned" that money alright, but its all down to luck and the good graces of alot of other pople you did so. Does that factor in at all?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,493,465 times
Quote:
Bargainers reach deal to head off gov't shutdown - Yahoo! News

Another 188 billion dollars down the drain as they pay the dregs...I'm sorry, the "long term unemployed"... to play XBox all day.
Another compassionate conservative I'm sure...

Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,535,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Compare the following:

I, uh, um, you know, graduated in 2011, but, uh, I never, um, you know, I couldn't find a job anywhere so I couldn't work in my, uh, you know, degree field, but uh, I have, uh, um, you know, been working part-time at Taco John's for the last, uh, 6 years or so, and uh, I know how to make a Taco Bel Grande really good, and I've only been written up 34 times for texting/surfing on my Blackberry instead of working and I sort of remember, you know, uh, some of the stuff that was taught in class.

versus

I graduated in 2011, then went to Germany looking for work, but ended up at a small private company in Orly, France working in my degree field. After 3 years, I took a position at Proctor & Gamble's manufacturing facility in Timisoara, Romania where I reported directly to the Comptroller.

Which one of those will get hired?
In many cases, neither of those will get hired, because each candidate demonstrates at least one fail.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I have said:
-That if you are unemployed for 26 weeks, that happens. Hope you find something soon.
-That if you are unemployed for 52 weeks....you're coming reeeal close to a line, and you should evaluate why you are still unemployed.
-That if you have been unemployed for 99+ weeks and are looking forward to this latest extension of the UI benefits? Congratulations, you're a deadbeat.

I know why I am still unemployed (no skills), the solution requires money which I don't have.

Put another way, the problem will resolve when either income or expenses improve. Since my spending has been below poverty level for years, it is unlikely there's much room left to improve expenses, therefore income is the relevant variable.

Catcha-22.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,595,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know why I am still unemployed (no skills), the solution requires money which I don't have.

Put another way, the problem will resolve when either income or expenses improve. Since my spending has been below poverty level for years, it is unlikely there's much room left to improve expenses, therefore income is the relevant variable.

Catcha-22.
You're not in a catch-22. You're a cautionary tale. You've had opportunities and more time than most - you've chosen not to exercise those abilities wisely.

I really hope you're in the same situation in a few years. I honestly do. Not because I want to see you suffer. Because I want to be able to show you to my children and explain to him that this is what will happen to them if they don't take their life seriously, don't own up to their failures, don't attempt to learn from them, and never take personal responsibility. I want you to be around when they're old enough to really grasp these concepts.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You're not in a catch-22. You're a cautionary tale. You've had opportunities and more time than most - you've chosen not to exercise those abilities wisely.

I really hope you're in the same situation in a few years. I honestly do. Not because I want to see you suffer. Because I want to be able to show you to my children and explain to him that this is what will happen to them if they don't take their life seriously, don't own up to their failures, don't attempt to learn from them, and never take personal responsibility. I want you to be around when they're old enough to really grasp these concepts.

Too late for you, my tale is one from an earlier era. Congress has, going forward, resolved the problem I demonstrate by creating affordable repayment programs which not only would require a ZERO monthly payment from borrowers at my level of income (and even considerably above my income), but would forgive any remaining loan balance after some speicified number of years. So my example is not relevant or cautionary to anyone who does not already have a student loan.

So today's kids can shrug off their loans with zero dollar payments and ultimately have their loans forgiven. The OWS people are so greedy they want their loans forgiven NOW. Ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,595,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Too late for you, my tale is one from an earlier era. Congress has, going forward, resolved the problem I demonstrate by creating affordable repayment programs which not only would require a ZERO monthly payment from borrowers at my level of income (and even considerably above my income), but would forgive any remaining loan balance after some speicified number of years. So my example is not relevant or cautionary to anyone who does not already have a student loan.

So today's kids can shrug off their loans with zero dollar payments and ultimately have their loans forgiven. The OWS people are so greedy they want their loans forgiven NOW. Ain't gonna happen.
Yeah. That's all that was holding you back over the last 3 decades. Sure.

Like I said, I really hope you're still around here in a few years. I want them to see what a lifetime of bad decisions results in, in all its glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies