Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
My friend Ben, for instance.
Did he choke on a chicken sandwich?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Muppets end five decade relationship with Chick-fil-A over gay marriage stance – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

Muppets dump Chick-Fil-A to support gay marriage | Reuters

The Henson company (The Muppets) have ended their relationship with Chick-Fil-A over Gay Marriages say these two articles.

Camila the Chicken was not available for comment.
And me and my family have ending our support of the Muppets....

there you go....

Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Chik-fil-A does more than think. They give millions upon millions of dollars each year to anti-gay organizations (a hate group or two among them) that use that money to try and take away and deny me equal civil rights.

Imagine if a restaurant were donating millions of dollars to the KKK. Would you begrudge a black person from boycotting that restaurant and asking his friends not to spend their money there as well?
You make good points there. I would like to flipflop. I would agree gay people have every right to boycott. But the average guy on the street who doesn't care about gay issues, I dunno... Can you convince me on that, too?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You make good points there. I would like to flipflop. I would agree gay people have every right to boycott. But the average guy on the street who doesn't care about gay issues, I dunno... Can you convince me on that, too?
Nope. If somebody doesn't give a rat's patooty about gay rights issues, then they're not going to care enough to boycott or do anything about. That's the thing about apathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And me and my family have ending our support of the Muppets....

there you go....
And you have every right to.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Nope. If somebody doesn't give a rat's patooty about gay rights issues, then they're not going to care enough to boycott or do anything about. That's the thing about apathy.

And you have every right to.
yep

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
yep
Gotta love how logic and common sense works, ne? If you don't like a company's actions, don't financially support them. Quite easy.

I'm not sure why some people are getting their underwear in a twist by saying that such boycotts are "reprehensible" or "cruel".

Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times
Quote:
So you'd rather your money goes to harming gay people instead.
The reality is not that simple. There are people who work at Chick-fil-a who do not agree with what the directors of the company have decided. However, there are several teenagers that start work there to pay their way through colleges, adults who have been laid off in the recent recession trying to pay bills just to stay afloat, high school grads who can't get a better paying job, etc. I have several gay friends back home in Texas who said that one man's decision won't affect where they go to eat.

Unfortunately, boycotting Chick-fil-a will affect the bottom-level employee way before it affects the top-level directors. This isn't the blacks boycotting the Montgomery city bus system, directly affecting city funding. Also, at that time blacks were well underpaid compared to their white counterparts and owning a car was out of the question. Naturally, there were are large majority of blacks riding the bus, and when they decided not to, the city felt it in their pockets. Also, there wasn't an substantial increase in white ridership that could have potentially negated the effect of the lack of black riders. In comparison, the few gay rights supporters that decide not to eat at Chick-fil-a will not be missed by those who run the company, and there seems to be several people glad about the news that decided they want to "eat mor chikin."

It shouldn't come down to "You support gays vs. you hate gays." There are a lot of factors that go into this, and your decision should come down to which factors outweigh the others. I can't be mad at someone for supporting what they believe in. Also, the employees' treatment of customers at Chick-fil-a far outweighs the treatment at any other comparable fast food restaurant. Plus they make a damn good spicy chicken sandwich, that no other fast food joint compares too. So I'll be enjoying my lunch at Chick-fil-a until they starting funding true hate groups like the KKK, or the skinheads, that are willing to kill people to make a point.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,068 times

Today, July 25, is national 'eat at Chick-fil-A day'... next Wednesday too.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
That person doesn't. A boycott is first and foremost an educational exercise. A year ago, how many people knew that the money the spend at Chik-fil-A was being funneled to anti-gay (sometime hate) groups in order to finance efforts to discriminate against gay people? The point is to try and get people who love and support gay people to stop spending their money in a manner that in fact harms gay people. The boycott's message really isn't targeted at the apathetic or towards anti-gay bigots.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Today, July 25, is national 'eat at Chick-fil-A day'... next Wednesday too.

Sounds like a good time to eat at Taco Bell.

I've been craving a cheesy gordita crunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies