Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times

Advertisements

let me add one other statement from financial sense that puts my last post in perspective:

Dr. Marc Faber: Actually Jim, before we move to that, I just want to give you some statistics. When Mr. Bernanke became Fed Chairman, oil was at $58 a barrel. It is now over $100. The S&P was at 1264, it is now at about the same level. Gold was at $480, it is now $1,700 and something. And the civilian employed in 2000 were 220,000,000 and then now 130,000,000. The unemployment rate was 4%, it is now 8.6%. Unemployment among teenagers was 12%, it is now 24%. The average duration of unemployment was at the time 15 weeks, it is now 40 weeks. What a great job the Fed’s Chairman has done.

Jim Puplava: Hmm, I guess money printing does not buy as much as it used to.

what should be dead is an international banking cartel controlling the issuance and direction of our currency because, under their direction, the gap between rich and poor has widened substantially and capital has been completely misallocated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 04:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Occupy Boston: Segment Four - Video - WCVB Boston

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Yes they are and they are supported by many christian groups thoughtout the country, and the rumors of the death of the Occupy Movement are premature.
They're still camping here, and in lots of other places across the country, especially college campuses. If the NY park group had to shut down, so what? That was the beauty of this thing from the beginning--it's local vs. centralizing it in DC, and different groups can take action in a way that fits their community. Personally--I think this is just the beginning, and that the whole thing SHOULD grow and evolve based on the local situation and needs.

At the end of the day, you're still writing posts about them, aren't you? The issues of getting big money out of elections, the control that big money has over policy, and corruption in government are the most talked about subjects of the day. THAT'S what the occupy movement is about, and it's still wildly successful, and still growing. Wait until spring and see what happens.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
They're still camping here, and in lots of other places across the country, especially college campuses. If the NY park group had to shut down, so what? That was the beauty of this thing from the beginning--it's local vs. centralizing it in DC, and different groups can take action in a way that fits their community. Personally--I think this is just the beginning, and that the whole thing SHOULD grow and evolve based on the local situation and needs.

At the end of the day, you're still writing posts about them, aren't you? The issues of getting big money out of elections, the control that big money has over policy, and corruption in government are the most talked about subjects of the day. THAT'S what the occupy movement is about, and it's still wildly successful, and still growing. Wait until spring and see what happens.
For the most part, we are fully aware that OWS is not dead and will return in the spring. We are aware that it will escalate into violence and bloodshed and we are aware that occupy protestors are pawns and not in control of their own movement.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The entitlement camps broke down after the donations allowing them to squat and be fed by other people's money dried up? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

My guess is Obama put the word out to his radical friends that this was taking a toll on his numbers.
I don't often agree with you but that's almost exactly what I suspected was going on.

Back prior to 2008 the left jumped on the anti-war bandwagon because it resonated soundly in the polls and was encouraged as a key "topic" to try to associate with for the election.

(Note: This is standard political tactics 101 and a smart move by the dem strategists.)

The OWS group however did not have a good viewing among moderates and independents and was a potential liability for the dems so they pulled the plug and the core movement (aka real protesters) were left with little funding and of course the various transients etc. dragging the movement down.

The betrayal of the anti-war movement is pretty much why there is no way I'll vote for Obama in 2012. Not seeing anything of quality out of the reps so far so......looks like I will be voting 3rd party protest again.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

What will happen in the spring is all those people will vote for the democrats....whom have enabled the banks, bailed them out, put GS guys in the white house and so forth just like the republicans.

Just like all those faux anti-war types are going to rationalize the Afghanistan surge and unknowingly attribute the Iraq withdrawl to some sort of Obama plan.....just like we found WMD's in Iraq is "fact" to some on the far right.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
What in the world does Iraq have to do with the OWS loons?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Well, I guess I have to stand up and admit that I was wrong. I believed that OWS was going to come to an end when winter set in. So instead, it seems they've declared the occupation "over" for other reasons. (Unless, of course, the recent cold weather was the real deciding factor, and the official statement was nothing more than window dressing!)

Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
99% plan new tax war on Super Rich in 2012 - MarketWatch

i found this interesting.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
More useless rhetoric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies