Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 AM

288 posts, read 284,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i still think people are drawn by what the media shows you.

this moa incident was all over the news. large group of young blacks will start molding your mind to believe most blacks are like that.

on the other hand nobody brings up the countless white crime in groups because its not in your face and as out of control as this is, even though it is more sick, like the white who just killed a 3 year old he was baby sitting a few days ago.

lets admit it though. this type of crime in large number sells, and the smaller more private incidents dont sell. the smaller incidents far outweigh these notable ones though.

end point: not all crime is equal. more whites are upset about MOA because the perps were black then the white girl who was murdered by a fellow white. that gets replies and views, not the murder which i dont think has even been posted here.
Then why won't you post the links of the stories that you find interesting? I mean you may not get any responses, but still post it! LOL..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,467,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
Then why won't you post the links of the stories that you find interesting? I mean you may not get any responses, but still post it! LOL..
He's the one who started this thread.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,637,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That statistic has actually been debunked. The person who came up with that looked at black men in prison of any age vs black men in college between the ages of 18-24. When you actually look at black men between 18 -24, more are in college.

Also, yes the poverty rates are higher, but most blacks are still not poor. These issues are mostly issues of the black underclass. Yes it is a problem and it is serious, but it is not an excuse to be afraid of "blacks" or equate all black people with crime and poverty.
You're right, that statistic has been debunked. Still, 32 percent of black males born in 2001 can expect to spend time in prison over the course of their lifetime. That compares with 17 percent of Hispanic males born in 2001 and only 6 percent of whites. With behavior like we saw on the OPs video, it's no wonder that the statistic is so high.

While most blacks are not poor, there should be no reason why black poverty rates are so high. Blacks have been a part of this country for hundreds of years. Many blacks have established themselves and have risen into the middle class, but yet there is very large segment of blacks who do nothing except procreate and produce generation after generation of people dependent on the government and who lead lives of crime. This video is discouraging because it just shows that this underclass still lives on. Yet people will continue to make excuses for their behavior, saying that white people act the same way (they don't) and that the government should provide more taxpayer funded programs to keep these people occupied or to give them a job.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
You're right, that statistic has been debunked. Still, 32 percent of black males born in 2001 can expect to spend time in prison over the course of their lifetime. That compares with 17 percent of Hispanic males born in 2001 and only 6 percent of whites. With behavior like we saw on the OPs video, it's no wonder that the statistic is so high.

While most blacks are not poor, there should be no reason why black poverty rates are so high. Blacks have been a part of this country for hundreds of years. Many blacks have established themselves and have risen into the middle class, but yet there is very large segment of blacks who do nothing except procreate and produce generation after generation of people dependent on the government and who lead lives of crime. This video is discouraging because it just shows that this underclass still lives on. Yet people will continue to make excuses for their behavior, saying that white people act the same way (they don't) and that the government should provide more taxpayer funded programs to keep these people occupied or to give them a job.
I agree with everything you said except I'm not convinced the people in the videos are uniformly members of the underclass. This type of behavior can be found across class lines in the Black community IMHO.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,345,568 times
I don't consider myself a racist. I already accept that, on some level, I have biases like anyone else, but I don't go around claiming any sort of superiority on behalf of the white race or anything. I try to be sympathetic to minorities, and I understand the impact that history has on the disparity that occurs between whites and blacks. I also accept that, yes, whites have their own riots, and they have their own negative cultural influences.

But since this is in the news and since it has been posted, I have to say, it recalls to mind incidents of a similar nature that I've witnessed on sites like WWHH or on YouTube. I reluctantly agree with EdwardA (a rarity) that there's something about hip hop culture that's disturbing. The ideas that are implanted into the minds of young urban black youth...they're troubling. The ideas that violence and thuggery of this sort are acceptable. I mean, people were just shopping at a mall and next thing they know there's a civil disturbance...WTF?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,549,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I don't consider myself a racist. I already accept that, on some level, I have biases like anyone else, but I don't go around claiming any sort of superiority on behalf of the white race or anything. I try to be sympathetic to minorities, and I understand the impact that history has on the disparity that occurs between whites and blacks. I also accept that, yes, whites have their own riots, and they have their own negative cultural influences.

But since this is in the news and since it has been posted, I have to say, it recalls to mind incidents of a similar nature that I've witnessed on sites like WWHH or on YouTube. I reluctantly agree with EdwardA (a rarity) that there's something about hip hop culture that's disturbing. The ideas that are implanted into the minds of young urban black youth...they're troubling. The ideas that violence and thuggery of this sort are acceptable. I mean, people were just shopping at a mall and next thing they know there's a civil disturbance...WTF?
Not really. This sort of thing is rooted in the disinvestment from urban, and especially black, neighborhoods that started in the first half of the 20th century. It hit it's peak in the 70s and 80s, as the heroin and crack trades blew up, and has declined since hip hop became the dominant form of music. It would be nice to say that this is due to the strong anti-violence strain in hip hop in the 80s and 90s, but I suspect that it's actually due to the decline in government-sponsored racism during the same time period.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,345,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Not really. This sort of thing is rooted in the disinvestment from urban, and especially black, neighborhoods that started in the first half of the 20th century. It hit it's peak in the 70s and 80s, as the heroin and crack trades blew up, and has declined since hip hop became the dominant form of music. It would be nice to say that this is due to the strong anti-violence strain in hip hop in the 80s and 90s, but I suspect that it's actually due to the decline in government-sponsored racism during the same time period.
I'm not denying the economic (and social) impact as a result of losing middle class jobs such as manufacturing jobs in the 'rust belt' communities. And I'm not saying that every black kid who listens to rap music turns out to be a thug (I happen to like some rap music myself). But at the same time, I do think that the messages and conduct of mainstream rap and hip hop entertainment icons does create an impression of what is and is not acceptable behavior these days (not only true of hip hop entertainment, by the way). I think that a lot of rap music is positive, but I don't really have an explanation for the kind of behavior that took place at the MOA. I don't think it can be chalked up to rap music exclusively, but I don't think it can be attributed solely to the outsourcing of the inner city either. I admit that I could be wrong.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,831,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It only cuts it off for those who are in denial. Also you must be going to barbershops where most of the barbers are over 40. Because there have been shootings and robberies at shop across the country.

I've witnessed drug dealing at one shop I used to go to and the conversation at many of these shops is shall we say less than stimulating.
I never really know how to respond to you without sounding dismissive or disrespectful. Honestly, that has not been my experience. Will some barbershops in the hood have issues? Of course. But most don't. I've lived in a bunch of cities and have never had an issue in a black barbershop, even for the many years I wore an Afro and now that I take my son for haircuts sometimes. I respect your experiences but I just haven't had the same ones, nor have I heard crazy stories about barbershops.

Nor have I ever heard of or known middle class black kids who riot in malls. LOL. There is the occasional kid who gets into trouble but it is far from the norm in my world anyway.

And now you'll tell me I'm "in denial", but honestly I just haven't seen these wild crazy criminal predominately middle class black youth. **shrugs**

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm not denying the economic (and social) impact as a result of losing middle class jobs such as manufacturing jobs in the 'rust belt' communities. And I'm not saying that every black kid who listens to rap music turns out to be a thug (I happen to like some rap music myself). But at the same time, I do think that the messages and conduct of mainstream rap and hip hop entertainment icons does create an impression of what is and is not acceptable behavior these days (not only true of hip hop entertainment, by the way). I think that a lot of rap music is positive, but I don't really have an explanation for the kind of behavior that took place at the MOA. I don't think it can be chalked up to rap music exclusively, but I don't think it can be attributed solely to the outsourcing of the inner city either. I admit that I could be wrong.
No, I think there is a youth culture these days that fetishizes "thug" culture. And I think it contributes to the problem. But it didn't get here all on it's own, I think a lot of this grew from the death of manufacturing jobs and the rise of the crack trade.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Your experiences are your own.

All I know is I live in the most affluent county with a majority black population in the country and it has the 2nd worst schools and 2nd highest murder rates in the states.

Some like to blame the poorer communities and many of the problems are there but it is statistically impossible for the poor to be the entire cause of the problems in the county. So yes I think you are in denial and know one has shown me that the blacks who were fighting over shoes were poor. Many of the malls where these incidents happened are in suburban locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I never really know how to respond to you without sounding dismissive or disrespectful. Honestly, that has not been my experience. Will some barbershops in the hood have issues? Of course. But most don't. I've lived in a bunch of cities and have never had an issue in a black barbershop, even for the many years I wore an Afro and now that I take my son for haircuts sometimes. I respect your experiences but I just haven't had the same ones, nor have I heard crazy stories about barbershops.

Nor have I ever heard of or known middle class black kids who riot in malls. LOL. There is the occasional kid who gets into trouble but it is far from the norm in my world anyway.

And now you'll tell me I'm "in denial", but honestly I just haven't seen these wild crazy criminal predominately middle class black youth. **shrugs**

No, I think there is a youth culture these days that fetishizes "thug" culture. And I think it contributes to the problem. But it didn't get here all on it's own, I think a lot of this grew from the death of manufacturing jobs and the rise of the crack trade.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM

646 posts, read 803,453 times
Another good example why I'm glad Tennessee has made handgun permits easier to obtain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies