Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lets see......just how do we calculate life expectancy for women in the 18th century, without having death certificates, as they didnt issue them then?
Oh thats right, information from tombstones, and parish records, if available.
Life and death had to exist before modernization and official government documentation came along.

And now people are so accustomed to it that dates on gravestones "don't count".

Plenty of families relied on the family bible with their birth/death entries as it was passed down to the oldest son to carry forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
For starters, you have to include the infant mortality rate. Back then many more children died before reaching adulthood.
Did I ever say to exclude infants?
Oy vey.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Life and death had to exist before modernization and official government documentation came along.

And now people are so accustomed to it that dates on gravestones "don't count".

Plenty of families relied on the family bible with their birth/death entries as it was passed down to the oldest son to carry forward.
I have the family Bibles from both sides, one is in French, the other German.
The French one has births recorded from late in the 17th century in Quebec, before they came down the Mississippi.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:16 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Did I ever say to exclude infants?
Oy vey.
No, you didn't say anything about infants, nor did you know what survivorship bias was, which is how I know you're calculating it improperly.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Listing the number of the departments in an agency irregardless of headcount, performance, spending, comparisons to other departments with less/more, and redundancy makes no sense. All it does is show the world you have no idea what you are talking about, but find any god awful reason no matter how stupid or insane in order to justify your belief.
The President’s FY 2011 budget includes $4.0 billion for FDA programs to protect and promote public health. This represents an increase of $756 million for FDA programs, which includes $601 million for statutory increases for user fee programs in current law and four new user fees to support public health priorities.

IV. DETAILS OF THE FY 2011 BUDGET
Transforming Food Safety Initiative

For FY 2011, FDA proposes an increase of $326.3 million for Transforming Food Safety. This increase includes $87.8 million in budget authority and $238.5 million for three new user fees related to food safety: Food Inspection and Registration User Fees, Reinspection User Fees for food facilities and Export Certification User Fees for food and feed products. The funding for Transforming Food Safety includes the budget amendment of $8 million that the Administration recommended on February 12, 2010.

better?

i am sure that everyone will agree with you that all those departments are needed and, not only that, yet even more funding needs to be directed to the FDA in a recession.

it pretty much goes along with all of big government, though.

our congressional leaders get salaries in this range, starting at 174 thousand and going up:
http://www.freep.com/article/2011032...ies-allowances

as "public servants", while the average american salary is this (CNN):

In 1988, the income of an average American taxpayer was $33,400, adjusted for inflation. Fast forward 20 years, and not much had changed: The average income was still just $33,000 in 2008, according to IRS data. (end)

there needs to be some adjustment in the scope and salaries of the government sector if we are going to move forward as a country successfully. i can't believe that the government would cut medicare/medicaid or any other social program and not have room to reduce the size and salary of the bureaucracy first.

why do you think the greeks are in full revolt in europe? why do you think that we have movements here (in both the TEA party and the OWS movement) which object to the increase in size of the public sector (because they keep voting themselves raises, perks, and bigger government, with more departments), while the private sector, particularly the middle class, stagnates.

life isn't getting better for the middle class, but it sure seems to be improving for the government sector according to those numbers-particularly the top tier of government.

i think it is time for them to join the real world.

Last edited by floridasandy; 12-28-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
No, you didn't say anything about infants, nor did you know what survivorship bias was, which is how I know you're calculating it improperly.
Grasping at straws does not make you look any better here.
Please point out where I said to exclude infants, or better yet, where I said I knew nothing about survivorship bias.
Oh thats right, I never did....must be those glasses you are using to read stuff between lines that isnt there.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Repeal the Kefauver Amendment and the FDA would at least be in a position where it possibly saves more people than it kills.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually the USDA is responsible for meat but it was the FDA that allowed the animals to be fed all those chemicals. Now it's coming back to haunt them in the form of killer hamburger meat.
Yes. Business interests corrupt government functions. It happens. What we have to do is to find these things out and rectify it. That's one of the functions of a free press, which is also diminishing in the US.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Underfunded FDA by Congress results in tainted antibiotic resistant meat sold in US:

Bacteria 1, F.D.A. 0 - NYTimes.com

LOL, this reminds me of the teachers arguing that our education system stinks because we do not spend enough money. Yet no one spends more money on education than we do. Or, how about if doctors were to claim or infant mortality rates are not up to snuff because we don't spend enough on health care. Sometimes throwing more money at a problem doesn't fix it.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Wow, do you like to twist the truth. It was business who kept pushing the limit to cut corners to make increasing profits. It is governments role to protect our food supply from unbridled industry. This should not be so hard for you to understand.
And the government knew for 35 years (since 1977) that chemicals in animal feed was bad. 35 years and they said NOTHING.

Is that the government protecting you or corporate interests ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies