Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Clearly you are the gourmand here CIA is excellent, good for her..shrimp and crab boil, fresh, yum..... Baltimore cracked crab...Cant get that here either

im sure u like me would not be caught dead at a red lobster or applebees
I like the deep-fried soft-shell blue crab you get from the east coast, but I truly love the giant red or blue king crab we get in Alaska. They are sweeter and better tasting than the giant golden king, snow, or dungeness crab, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Ever had a Florida lobster?

Not as good as a Maine one, IMHO, but more like a giant prawn.

I'm a proponent of slow food, eating local and scorpacciata whenever feasible.

I get some great cheese from these guys who are just a few miles from my house:

Sweet Grass Dairy

But of course, this is impossible, since clearly NO good food and NO food culture can exist outside of NYC.

That cheese looks amazing.

Rock lobster is Florida lobster, its great if its fresh....smaller than the Maine big boys...

I loved the french Quarter in New Orleans, amazing choices, forget which one we ate at years ago...lobster thermidor

Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I like the deep-fried soft-shell blue crab you get from the east coast, ...
Lake Pontchartrain crabs are fatter.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A lot of those recipes do not originate from the southern States. Be careful, or you might be labeled a "food snob" like New Yorkers.

There are certainly enough recipes and techniques that were developed in southern States to qualify it as a unique cuisine, but there are also many recipes and techniques that were derived from other sources (primarily the french) that are also considered southern cuisine when they are not.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A lot of those recipes do not originate from the southern States. Be careful, or you might be labeled a "food snob" like New Yorkers.

There are certainly enough recipes and techniques that were developed in southern States to qualify it as a unique cuisine, but there are also many recipes and techniques that were derived from other sources (primarily the french) that are also considered southern cuisine when they are not.
The French influence in the South goes back over 350 years. I don't think they can necessarily be seperated as you may imply.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Perhaps if you took 2 seconds to actually look at where I live before you attempt to upbraid me, you could have stopped yourself.
I live an hour away from either coast, so, no, we dont have any good fishing locally, unless you count catching stumpknockers as fishing.
I think perhaps knowing the difference between a purveyor and a supplier might help you before you make any more comments about things you really dont understand regarding restaurants, fine dining, and our (sic) local wharf.
Nice try at deflection!

I read that you lived away from the coast but that was not my point and you know that. I was responding to your comment about the value - or lack there of in your opinion- of local seafood. But I guess you know it all as usual.....

Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Perhaps if you took 2 seconds to actually look at where I live before you attempt to upbraid me, you could have stopped yourself.
I live an hour away from either coast, so, no, we dont have any good fishing locally, unless you count catching stumpknockers as fishing.
I think perhaps knowing the difference between a purveyor and a supplier might help you before you make any more comments about things you really dont understand regarding restaurants, fine dining, and our (sic) local wharf.
And if you live in such a dining depressed area, how did you become such an 'expert' on fine dining and restaurants......it boggles the mind.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
And if you live in such a dining depressed area, how did you become such an 'expert' on fine dining and restaurants......it boggles the mind.
Did you really think I was born and raised here in FL?
Or have even lived in the States my whole life?
Too bad you cant be bothered to look at anyones profile page before making a gaffe.
Please point out where I said where I live is a "dining depressed area".
Because I didnt.
Flail away, honey, you just keep digging that hole deeper.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The French influence in the South goes back over 350 years. I don't think they can necessarily be seperated as you may imply.
Considering the fact that much of the South and the Midwest lies within the confines of Louisiana Territory, I dont see how the other poster is calling French technique into question.
Not to mention other parts of the South settled by the French.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Did you really think I was born and raised here in FL?
Or have even lived in the States my whole life?
Too bad you cant be bothered to look at anyones profile page before making a gaffe.
Please point out where I said where I live is a "dining depressed area".
Because I didnt.
Flail away, honey, you just keep digging that hole deeper.
Oh I see...you are a Jack of all trades whom knows everything. Got it! A legend in your own mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies