Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Um, I believe there's a clear and distinct difference between government policy and those who would abuse that policy.
You imply in multiple threads that jobs are not being created, yet you claim that there are plenty of jobs. Which one is it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
I believe this is a phenomenon that exists all across this country. I also believe it is a subject that Liberals and Obama supporters don't want to broach because it works directly against their Big Government Come Save Me philosophy.

Interesting, so by your reasoning there aren't ANY conservatives reaching out to the Government for Unemployment, Social Security or Medicaid. These are only Liberal accepted programs.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Just last night I spoke to a friend whose wife had collected 99 weeks of unemployment benefits. Those benefits expired at the end of December, he proclaimed. Mysteriously enough, he also mentioned that she got a call from the local Victoria's Secret offering her a job two days after an interview she participated in last week.

Anecdotal, yes. But I find this to be highly suspect. What are the chances of not finding a job in the previous 99 weeks that unemployment benefits were flowing, but on the 100th week.......when UI benefits are exhausted..... all of a sudden a job presents itself?

How many millions of Americans are milking my wallet dry in order to live on Easy Street?
Why don't you take this up with your friend?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It could also be that AGDC and his friends are gullible enough to believe this propaganda because it lets them feel alls so superior to the unemployed.
Propoganda? This is a real life story that is likely happening all across this nation. I appreciate that you have faith in your fellow American's to be all they can be, but no doubt the Bailout Mentality generated by this government has created a class of lazies all of its own.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You imply in multiple threads that jobs are not being created, yet you claim that there are plenty of jobs. Which one is it???
I've said all along there are jobs out there for people to take, and they're conveniently walking past them after doing their own personal cost/benefit analysis. Undoubtedly, that's what my friends' wife did as well. A retail job probably didn't beat out her unemployment benefits. I find that to be problematic because it creates a whole new mentality in our workforce, as well as unsustainable reliance on the government.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,836 times
Quote:
Propoganda? This is a real life story that is likely happening all across this nation. I appreciate that you have faith in your fellow American's to be all they can be, but no doubt the Bailout Mentality generated by this government has created a class of lazies all of its own.
Is this what you think of your friends?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are no numbers indicating that a significant percentage of unemployed are going all 99 weeks then finding a job just as they expire.

Lots of people get jobs every week, and lots of people are laid off or fired every week.

Its not like the number is going up, its going down.
If, as you say, that number of losing jobs people is going down why did the government admit that the number applying for assistance went up last week. Thursday is that reporting day, you know.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If, as you say, that number of losing jobs people is going down why did the government admit that the number applying for assistance went up last week. Thursday is that reporting day, you know.
About 400,000 people come off of unemployment every week.

The number of new applicants was around 390,000 last week.

So we stalled for the first full week of the year. But we still are improving the unemployment numbers.

Unemployment claims tick up again - Jan. 12, 2012

One or two weeks does not a trend make. The 8.5% number they released a few weeks ago was a monthly trend, much more accurate.

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Just last night I spoke to a friend whose wife had collected 99 weeks of unemployment benefits.
How many millions of Americans are milking my wallet dry in order to live on Easy Street?
So, tell us, is this person still your friend after you told his wife to start paying you back for all the money she took out of your wallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Interesting, so by your reasoning there aren't ANY conservatives reaching out to the Government for Unemployment, Social Security or Medicaid. These are only Liberal accepted programs.
Of course there are conservatives on the government teat. But it's Liberal Factions that claim Armageddon Is Imminent whenever Congress mentions cutting back on benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies