Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Finding a job at a retail store just before Christmas is not exactly a miracle.

I wonder where this 'friend' lives, because you haven't been able to collect 99 weeks since 2011.

Note the language in 2013: as of July it is 20 weeks, with no federal benefits.
The thread was started in January 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Just last night I spoke to a friend whose wife had collected 99 weeks of unemployment benefits. Those benefits expired at the end of December, he proclaimed. Mysteriously enough, he also mentioned that she got a call from the local Victoria's Secret offering her a job two days after an interview she participated in last week.

Anecdotal, yes. But I find this to be highly suspect. What are the chances of not finding a job in the previous 99 weeks that unemployment benefits were flowing, but on the 100th week.......when UI benefits are exhausted..... all of a sudden a job presents itself?

How many millions of Americans are milking my wallet dry in order to live on Easy Street?
Probably not that many. It's easy to invent an anecdotal story that fits your prejudice and pretend that it represents everyone.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Probably not that many. It's easy to invent an anecdotal story that fits your prejudice and pretend that it represents everyone.
True story. Whether you believe it or not is of no concern of mine whatsoever.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
True story. Whether you believe it or not is of no concern of mine whatsoever.
Evidence and data speaks louder.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
When someone is on a goverment program you can bet they are on more than one. So its not just unemployment but also ebt- food stamps and also heat assistance etc.

There are more than most realize who will milk that 99 weeks and take cash jobs so they dont lose those beni's. I have known some when i lived in michigan who did just that because the job market didnt pay as well as a part time cash job and the assistance.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
When someone is on a goverment program you can bet they are on more than one. So its not just unemployment but also ebt- food stamps and also heat assistance etc.

There are more than most realize who will milk that 99 weeks and take cash jobs so they dont lose those beni's. I have known some when i lived in michigan who did just that because the job market didnt pay as well as a part time cash job and the assistance.
Absolutely. It's rampant....everyone knows it's rampant....except for the swooner's who can stand the idea of Barack Obama being labeled the Welfare and Food Stamp President. They'll say anything to try to convince us that there are only a few abusers of the system. It defies common sense and contradicts what people see with their very own eyes.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
How many millions of Americans are milking my wallet dry in order to live on Easy Street?
Did you ask your friend for all that money back that was stolen from you by his wife?

If not, why not?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How can you say the economy isn't great? It's fantastic for illegals who are having no trouble at all finding work here --- if they want to work. Otherwise the government handouts are more than generous if they don't want to work also. In fact it can only be a great economy is we can add 11 to 30 million cheap workers to the legal labor force --- which is exactly what Obama and Boughner intend to do.

Why can lazy Americans claim with a straight face that they cannot find work but someone fresh over the border has a job instantly?
Because illegals are living and doing things citizens can't or won't.

For instance, illegals think nothing about having 10 people living in a 8 person house. They can live in the farmers own housing, as part of payment which is illegal in some states.

I agree there are lazy people, but when you have a 1200 dollar a month mortgage and a college loan to pay off, doing migrant work isn't exactly benefiting society. The relative small amount of money, around 600 every two weeks, is easily paid back by three years of decent tax returns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies