Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

Someone suggested that these types of signs only hurt people's feelings, how could some be some dumb??..I believe they think someone else will be dumber for believing them.

Signs like this are a propagandist's tool to continually disenfranchise, dehumanise, and treat others with contempt.

These signs beat down on the psyche of the targeted people and continually shout, "you are less than us", "you are less than human", no I will not subject my children to this brain washing.

I will take every opportunity to legally fight these displays, and if you feel your property rights are violated..too bad.

If you open a business, I will frequent it if I choose, if you sale a product I will purchase it if I choose.

If you attempt to charge me more for said product, I will sue you in court, I will attempt to bank rupt you.

This country will never be a post 1900 America. Stop living in the past or just go die.
I call it backdoor racism. If they are willing to support that in the name of "private enterprise exercising their free will", it won't be long before they start accepting other expressions of racism until full blown segregation and jim crow laws become the norm once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Are you really that childish that you're incapable of coming up with your own reply? This reminds me of the gradeschool taunts used by elementary-aged kids all over the country, "you're stupid", "no you're stupid", "but I said it first!" wahh wahh So unoriginal.

Oh, so your part time job years ago makes you an expert so you don't feel the need to expand your knowledge base to include things that might be too scarily accurate for you to want to admit to. Got it. Don't bother to broaden your knowledge base. It's best to stick with your racist sources so as not to challenge your bigoted opinions with facts. And, I highly doubt this part time job entailed much more than menial duties given that it wasn't a career path but a college job.

Reading comprehension is not one of your strong skills, obviously. Instead of responding to what I have actually posted, you like to imagine that something completely different is being stated. Its like you are having your own separate conversation...with yourself.

So with this last irrational rant you have earned a well-deserved and long overdue place on the ignore list.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Despicable as this is, it's no different than the free speech that the Westboro Baptists hide behind. Free speech trumps their vile message the same way that private property rights trump what some idiot decides to do on his private property.
Sounds like Ron Paul is not the only tea partier who would oppose the judges ruling.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

Someone suggested that these types of signs only hurt people's feelings, how could some be some dumb??..I believe they think someone else will be dumber for believing them.

Signs like this are a propagandist's tool to continually disenfranchise, dehumanise, and treat others with contempt.

These signs beat down on the psyche of the targeted people and continually shout, "you are less than us", "you are less than human", no I will not subject my children to this brain washing.

I will take every opportunity to legally fight these displays, and if you feel your property rights are violated..too bad.

If you open a business, I will frequent it if I choose, if you sale a product I will purchase it if I choose.

If you attempt to charge me more for said product, I will sue you in court, I will attempt to bank rupt you.

This country will never be a post 1900 America. Stop living in the past or just go die.
Gee, the last sign in particular is so mean. Hard to imagine that people who put up such a sign back then didn't notice they were being mean (which is sometimes said in their defense, like that back then it was normal to think that way).

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
As history has shown us, the average White American person could care less that things like this are mentally draining or hurtful and will continue to live with the status quo of discrimination. And so does the average Afriacn American person. And the average Asian American. And the average Hispanic American, etc.

African Americans need to turn inward. We need to become more cloistered (like Asian Americans, Jewish Americans, Hispanic Americans). They support each other. They support each others businesses. They network amongst each other for services and other needs. They rent their properties to each other. They recycle their resources within their own communities. We need to stop giving our money to people who have little regard for us. We need to vote with our "pocketbooks" and put those companies out of business who do not respect our buying power or us as people.
CP I usually agree with you on most things,but I feel you are painting every white person with the same brush due to a minority of idiots who happen to be white...As a kid on up to being a young adult I was raised around several different Indian Rezs(yes,that's what the are called so I'm not being racist)...I was generally treated very well,but there were NAs who were dumb asses too....over time I've known quite a few people who just happen to be African American(who almost to a person wanted to be called "black" instead of A/A)....I was treated with respect by them,BUT they had their share of total clueless idiots among them too.

The area I live in now is 100% white for at least 30 minutes any direction you turn when you leave my driveway and if you head due north due south or east it may be several hours drive before you see anything but white folks...guess what,meth heads have blown up 2 houses in the last week in a town of 700,two have been severely injured in those fires...8 seperate arrests for making meth (not the house fires yet BTW) have been made this past week and 1 is DEAD after an OD from shooting up crank and just this morning a rolling meth lab took our power out when the person ran off the road and smacked a power pole and then ran on foot...THIS all in ONE week and within a 5 mile radius of me..every one of those idiots to the person was a white person....stupidity knows no racial boundaries.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension is not one of your strong skills, obviously. Instead of responding to what I have actually posted, you like to imagine that something completely different is being stated. Its like you are having your own separate conversation...with yourself.

So with this last irrational rant you have earned a well-deserved and long overdue place on the ignore list.
Boohoo *tantrum* boohoo . Ignore list is for those who like to only hear "their side" of an argument to reinforce their own biased opinions. Whatevs, no skin off my back.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
CP I usually agree with you on most things,but I feel you are painting every white person with the same brush due to a minority of idiots who happen to be white...As a kid on up to being a young adult I was raised around several different Indian Rezs(yes,that's what the are called so I'm not being racist)...I was generally treated very well,but there were NAs who were dumb asses too....over time I've known quite a few people who just happen to be African American(who almost to a person wanted to be called "black" instead of A/A)....I was treated with respect by them,BUT they had their share of total clueless idiots among them too.

The area I live in now is 100% white for at least 30 minutes any direction you turn when you leave my driveway and if you head due north due south or east it may be several hours drive before you see anything but white folks...guess what,meth heads have blown up 2 houses in the last week in a town of 700,two have been severely injured in those fires...8 seperate arrests for making meth (not the house fires yet BTW) have been made this past week and 1 is DEAD after an OD from shooting up crank and just this morning a rolling meth lab took our power out when the person ran off the road and smacked a power pole and then ran on foot...THIS all in ONE week and within a 5 mile radius of me..every one of those idiots to the person was a white person....stupidity knows no racial boundaries.

MS, I do not think that ALL White people are racist/bigoted/prejudice at all. That was not my intention at all. I have a lot of wonderful people in my life who happen to be White or non-Black.

I do, however, feel that we as African Americans need to spend more time building our own businesses and then we wouldn't need to ask anyone for anything. Its about being more self reliant.

In an earlier post I made reference to my grandparents generation. They started businesses and opened practices because Whites would not serve them, it was out of necessity. I think that we need to go back to that as African Americans because it made us stronger. I am not saying that we exclude others from our businesses but we need to support each other before other groups will take us seriously. We need to not financially support businesses who do not respect us or our buying power.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
In what rationale and thoughtful mind does this not construe discrimination with a "White Only" sign? What would others say if it said "Blacks Only"? or " Hispanics Only"? If this pool owner was concerned about what chemicals could make her water "cloudy" why isn't she banning old white women who dye their hair?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
In what rationale and thoughtful mind does this not construe discrimination with a "White Only" sign?
go back a few pages and read some of the responses, there lies your answer.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
MS, I do not think that ALL White people are racist/bigoted/prejudice at all. That was not my intention at all. I have a lot of wonderful people in my life who happen to be White or non-Black.

I do, however, feel that we as African Americans need to spend more time building our own businesses and then we wouldn't need to ask anyone for anything. Its about being more self reliant.

In an earlier post I made reference to my grandparents generation. They started businesses and opened practices because Whites would not serve them, it was out of necessity. I think that we need to go back to that as African Americans because it made us stronger. I am not saying that we exclude others from our businesses but we need to support each other before other groups will take us seriously. We need to not financially support businesses who do not respect us or our buying power.
Now that I can fully agree with as I can the rest of your post.

About 15 years ago I unfortunately found myself working in LA area near Compton running equip on a utility const. job for a week...I stopped in a small store with a African American fellow who was working with me(actually assigned by the company really just to keep me from wandering into the wrong area and getting killed) to buy my cigs the first night (talk about sticker shock)...the market was Asian owned I guess because that's all I saw with aprons on and I watched as the store owners workers,relatives or whatever they were followed every black customer everywhere they went inside that market and they were extremely rude to a couple of smaller kids as I remember...prices were unreal high...I got my smokes and boogied. I asked the guy I was with who in their right mind would buy from a place like that and he said they were basically held hostage by the Asians in that area due to no African American store owners in that neighborhood.

That really gave me an eye opener about how things work in an imperfect America....I don't know if it has changed in that neighborhood because I have been blessed and never had to go back to LA for anything,but I still remember it and even though they did not bother me personally I still had quite a bit of anger at them for the way they treated those kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies