Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How did 'one of the most conservative big cities' come to elect Democrat Jerry Springer as mayor?
The same reason why liberal big cities like New York would elect a Republican like Rudy Giuliani as mayor. Local politics doesn't ascribe to the national divide. There are many Republicans who vote for Democrats locally but would never vote for a Democrat in national elections and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Since when is Cincinnati a "highly Democratic area"? It's one of the most conservative big cities in the US.
And Hamilton County, in which Cincy is located voted 53-46 for Obama over McCain. 'Most Conservative,' my lol.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,649 times
Quote:
And Hamilton County, in which Cincy is located voted 53-46 for Obama over McCain. 'Most Conservative,' my lol.
Here is the map from the 2004 Kerry-Bush election:

Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yep.

I'm sure she still feels superior and that any consequences she faces won't change that. The fact this sort of thing still happens in 2011 is terrifying. It would be one thing if it was in Mississippi or Alabama (it would certainly be just as bad, but it would be less shocking), but in Ohio?

Racial bigotry and prejudice is not contained by any physical or geograpical boundaries. These things happen in 2011. They will happen in 2021.

When I hear stories like this it empowers me. Not to protest or boycott, etc. But it drives me even more to have more, earn more, invest more, learn more. When things like this happen, we (African Americans) need to remind ourselves of the struggles that we had pre-Civil Right era. We need to remind ourselves how much stronger we were, how much more we depended upon each other, patronized our own businesses, supported our own organizations, started our own businesses because "they" would not serve us.

When I look at pictures of my grandparents and older relatives from "back in the day" and what always strikes me is that they all looked so polished. Even in candid photos. Men in hats and shirts with ties just sitting on the porch talking. Women in beautiful dresses, gloves and pumps just to go to the grocery store or to visit friends. There was a different level of pride. They owned gas stations, restaurants, hotels/inns, farms, grocery stores, insurance companies, etc. They created their own jobs, hired our own people.

We need to remember those days when we hear stories like the one being posted about. We need to get back to that mentality because we have truly lost the narrative.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 AM

Kerry Bush or Obama McCain?

Anyway it's really a moot point. As has already been noted the article does not reference the woman's politics. Claiming that she is a Republican is either stupid or disingenuous. Most likely the latter, IMO, it's a calculated trick to try to foment hostility and division, in other words the very racism of which these lefty posters accuse.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 AM

765 posts, read 2,129,649 times
Quote:

Anyway it's really a moot point. As has already been noted the article does not reference the woman's politics. Claiming that she is a Republican is either stupid or disingenuous. Most likely the latter, IMO, it's a calculated trick to try to foment hostility and division, in other words the very racism of which these lefty posters accuse.
I was merely trying to prove my point that Cincinnati is a historically conservative city. Again, the map below supports this. And, you're right that it's outrageous whether she's Democrat, Republican or Anarchist. However, the fact is that more racist (or at least vocally racist) people are republicans than democrats, probably a result of the fact that more people in rural areas are democratic than republican. No, it's not right to stereotype people. Just because someone is republican doesn't mean they're racist, just like just because someone's black doesn't mean they commit crimes, but both types of people are overrepresented in those respective areas.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
They shoot themselves in the foot, don't they. In trying to name-call and paint the opposition, they expose themselves as being that of which they accuse. Maybe it's really a mistake to even discourage them...
Who is "they," exactly? I ask (facetiously) because this comment could be directed at Democrats AND Republicans throughout the country - especially on this forum.

Whatever side this landlord is on, she's a disgusting excuse for a human being... glad I live in a country where you're free to be a racist, but that doesn't mean I have to like these scumbags! Oh, and if it's really a PUBLIC pool, her freedom to hate should be immediately revoked.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
P.S. Chemicals my arse... I'm a fair-skinned redhead, and I often buy hair products straight off the "ethnic hair" shelf (for my thick Jewish curls). Not to mention I've had my hair chemically straightened before, as have many other non-Black folks. So that's a bunch of baloney, and I'm not buying it for a NY second.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who is "they," exactly? I ask (facetiously) because this comment could be directed at Democrats AND Republicans throughout the country - especially on this forum.

Whatever side this landlord is on, she's a disgusting excuse for a human being... glad I live in a country where you're free to be a racist, but that doesn't mean I have to like these scumbags! Oh, and if it's really a PUBLIC pool, her freedom to hate should be immediately revoked.
Who is 'they?' Read the post that I was responding to and it should not be much of a mystery. It is people such as 'New York Guy,' 'Enemy Country' and 'Even Star' who constantly throw out these false accusations of racism against their political opponents. Check the posting histories of those three. I somehow doubt that even one out of the three is a Republican.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,136 times
Quote:

I say she is a Republican and I am sticking by that. It's not the first time Republicans have done things like that. This type of bare faced racism is becoming an increasing trend in the GOP. That is just the reality of things nowadays. I am simply observing what is before my very eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies