Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Getting back on topic here, it only makes sense. It works this way: Racists are bigots. Bigots are closed minded people afraid of those who are different from them. They rarely associate with anyone outside their own kind. Naturally, people with this mentality are more likely to be against same sex marriage. Those who are educated and open minded are less likely to feel this way. It's really not rocket science.
This ^

Old 01-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Why don't you gays just give it a rest. Your problems just aren't that important to most of us. Our nation is facing far greater issues.
If gay marriage is not that important to you, you shouldn't have any problem with it being legal then.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
If gay marriage is not that important to you, you shouldn't have any problem with it being legal then.
Many Conservatives say that, but what they mean is that they have been proven wrong and have no real argument.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
The logical foundation of the OP's premise is weak, as it ignores the existence of racism within the gay community.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
70% of African Americans backed Prop. 8, exit poll finds - latimes.com

Glad to see the OP admits that "racists" are not just white folks.
That initial exit poll figure was later found to be incorrect.

About 7% of voters in California in 2008 were black.

About 58% of blacks voted for Prop 8, 42% against.

And it had more to do with religion than race.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
That initial exit poll figure was later found to be incorrect.

About 7% of voters in California in 2008 were black.

About 58% of blacks voted for Prop 8, 42% against.

And it had more to do with religion than race.
Yep, African Americans are from my experience, much more religious as a race. Probably because they are poorer, and that poverty cycle is hard to break. Impoverished people tend to be more religious.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Since the initial proposition is pretty limited in substance, one might just as easily say, "Those who are for gay marriage are more likely to be racist". Aren't they always the one playing the 'race card' when it comes to equating the struggles of gays with those of blacks? -- I've never heard black people say, "our struggle for equal rights is a lot like the struggle of gays for equal rights"

Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
I am a heterosexual male.

In my state it is not lawful for me to marry another man. The law applies equally to homosexuals and heterosexuals.

What right is being denied?
Some are not allowed to marry the person of their choice.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep, African Americans are from my experience, much more religious as a race. Probably because they are poorer, and that poverty cycle is hard to break. Impoverished people tend to be more religious.
It has very little to do with poverty. Many if not most middle-class blacks attend church regularly, or at least profess a Christian faith. It has more to do with the cultural legacy of church attendance stemming from their southern Baptist and Methodist roots.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
I'm black and a Democrat. I don't support gay marriage. I also don't condemn homosexuality. Being anti-gay marriage does not equal being homophobic or a bigot. Not sure why that's always the conclusion that some leap to in this debate.

The issue for gays seems to be having access to the same rights that marriages provide (which I fully support). Quite honestly, it seems like the best route to having this done is to fight to have civil unions afford gay couples these rights. Expecting the US to include gay couples under the marriage umbrella will probably take another 50 years.

No matter how marriage was originally defined, it is, for millions of people, considered a union between a man and a woman. Unfortunately, no matter how much it is argued that it isn't "fair" to exclude gays, I am against redefining marriage.

And no sure why blacks are blamed for Prop 8. Asians were almost half-and-half on the issue as well. I wonder why they are never "blamed"?

News flash: Blacks don't "owe" gay people their support. The attempt to guilt minorities into lending their support is very interesting.

BTW, I'm neither a racist nor a bigot. If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies