Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Being a Homosexual doesn't make you a race. Just because someone doesn't agree with your views doesn't make them a racist or any thing else.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Being a Homosexual doesn't make you a race. Just because someone doesn't agree with your views doesn't make them a racist or any thing else.
Exactly. There are those who think that if they label you a bigot, etc., they can guilt or shame others into changing their opinions. Unfortunately for them most of the time it doesn't work.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
I am a heterosexual male.

In my state it is not lawful for me to marry another man. The law applies equally to homosexuals and heterosexuals.

What right is being denied?

You're a heterosexual male, and you face no limitation on your right to marry a person of the sex that you desire - which is a woman, not a male.

A homosexual male DOES face limitation on his right to marry a person of the sex that he desires - which is a male, not a woman.

Applying your own heterosexual orientation-driven desires to a homosexual is like telling blacks back in the 1930s, "well, you can use the same bathroom as me, just as long as you're white. See, the same law applies to me - I have to be white-skinned, not black."

How CONVENIENT that the law just so HAPPENS to favor you. I wonder how that came to be.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: rude/personal attack

Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
People that are hateful tend to hate multiple groups of people. It's not like there is a quota for the number or types of people you can hate. If you hate one group you are more likely to hate another group. Seems logical to me.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
I am a heterosexual male.

In my state it is not lawful for me to marry another man. The law applies equally to homosexuals and heterosexuals.

What right is being denied?
What's so good and proper about the legal right of a homosexual to marry a heterosexual? I'm kinda surprised people on the right haven't suggested that such marriages should also be banned.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So do you think that interracial marriages between blacks and whites should be called an interracial 'union' not marriage? With the same rights of course to those white/white marriages - just not the same name. Because you know, marriage was considered a union between a man and a woman of the same race for hundreds of years in the US. It took the US Supreme Court to 'redefine' marriage 45 years ago so that blacks and whites could legally marry in all States in the US. Were they wrong to go against the will of the majority of people back then when more than 70% of people thought it should be illegal? Perhaps they should have waited until the mid 1990's (less than 20 years ago) when finally slightly more than 50% of people in the US thought that interracial marriage should be legal.

History on Screen- Interracial Marriage

Why the Ugly Rhetoric Against Gay Marriage is so Familiar to this Historian of Miscegenation

We’ve Heard this Before: The Legacy of Interracial Marriage Bans and the Implications for Today’s Marriage Equality Debates,” Vermont Law Review 34, no. 2 (2009) (http://lawreview.vermontlaw.edu/articles/v34/2/johnson.pdf - broken link)

Gay Marriage Has Twice the Support Today That Interracial Marriage Had When It Was Legalized in the 1960s

I wonder if many people in the 1960's thought that being anti-interracial marriage did not equal being racist or a bigot?

Do you think that people who are still anti-interracial marriage now in 2012 (and there are quite a few especially in the south) are racists or bigots?
The interracial argument has no place in the gay marriage debate. They have nothing to do with one another.

To start, interracial marriages were common throughout the world. During slavery, many laws were brought about to degrade blacks. One of these was anti-miscegenation laws. This included marriages and cohabitation. So, these laws took away a past freedom. The striking down of these laws simply restored what was taken away. This restoration did not redefine anything.

I don't think anyone who disagrees with IR marriages are bigots. They just don't agree with it. If these opinions are not accompanied by violent acts against those who are in IR relationships, I don't care what beliefs they hold.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
So let me get this straight. Anti-gay bigots are more likely to be bigoted against other groups of people than non anti-gay bigots?

Shocking.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The interracial argument has no place in the gay marriage debate. They have nothing to do with one another.
Well, legally speaking, they're nearly perfectly analogous.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, legally speaking, they're nearly perfectly analogous.
Nope....refer to the rest of my post for why this isn't so.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Nope....refer to the rest of my post for why this isn't so.
I read the rest of your post. There doesn't seem to be a legal argument within it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies