Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The thing is, I'm speaking from experience. Coming off as a decent human being doesn't mean a person is going to be free from racial profiling or other things of that manner. That is what I have been trying to tell you. I'm being myself because that is who I was taught to be, myself. I'm speaking from my own experiences.
Move out of Georgia? I have no idea, I'm not you so I can't see into your mind and recall your experiences with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you need a definition of what a statistic is and what it means?

And yes, ALL blacks that I have met and had this discussion with either in person or online get defensive about said statistics. Including that poster.
You mean unlike so many right wing conservative whites, who BTW for some reason always seem absolutely obsessed with "minority communities"?!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You mean unlike so many right wing conservative whites, who BTW for some reason always seem absolutely obsessed with "minority communities"?!
This thread, in case you missed it, is about race, not politics.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 PM

If you're so concerned with the OP, then why do you keep giving us such great examples of white defensiveness (among other things)....?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
If you're so concerned with the OP, then why do you keep giving us such great examples of white defensiveness (among other things)....?
Mateo, you are no better than Edward.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

191 posts, read 242,677 times
Quote:
I'm actually not sure what you're saying. Depending on the job, if the white felon was more qualified and the felony was something stupid, he probably would get more offers. Education is not equal to qualifications. There are lots of factors in play. At my work, we don't care what your criminal history is as long as it's not something that could endanger our employees or customers (such as theft, selling drugs or something violent, aside from domestic violence).

But yes, segregation here is very bad. Horrible. But it's not really even segregation by race, it's segregation by crime rate, it's bad areas with high crime that has mostly blacks versus good or at least decent areas with a much smaller rate of crime with mostly whites. With the exception of Brown Deer, which has a higher proportion of blacks but low crime, these are mostly older folks and blue collar workers.

I don't know what "disproportionate impact" you're talking about. If you live in the ghetto, talk like a ghetto person and do ghetto behaviors and try to get a job pretty much anywhere, you will be looking for awhile.
What would be a stupid felony?? By definition, it's more serious than a misdemeanor.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Mateo, you are no better than Edward.
Ah, speaking of "defensiveness", I see someone's still smarting from my little observation about their, um, judgment (or lack thereof) re: "automotive purchases" (...LOL)!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 PM

288 posts, read 283,569 times
Quote:
I wish there was an icon that would roll around laughing. You are missing the entire point and making quite a few generalizations of your own.

A couple things I do feel the need to address: blacks are not the victims of crimes committed by whites, by and large, it is from black on black crime, so crying "victim!" in this discussion only makes your side look worse. Second, nobody is harassing black people in nice cars or running from black men in business suits. What planet do you live on? It doesn't sound very fun there. Continue feeling sorry for yourself, it will get you nowhere. You have only yourself to blame for your problems, no matter what race you are.
There are black men that drives nice cars that get harassed, and I do know of white women who cross the street when the see black man coming towards them and it doesn't matter what they have on. Just because you don't see something doesn't be that it don't happen..

Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Ah, speaking of "defensiveness", I see someone's still smarting from my little observation about their, um, judgment (or lack thereof) re: "automotive purchases" (...LOL)!
I stand corrected. Edward would be smart enough to link to something he actually posted in and also would not assume I'd bought a Saab just because I was asking a warranty question about it.

If you want to make fun of my C6 Z06 then by all means go for it.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
There are black men that drives nice cars that get harassed, and I do know of white women who cross the street when the see black man coming towards them and it doesn't matter what they have on. Just because you don't see something doesn't be that it don't happen..
What does THAT tell you? Remember Jesse Jackson's story of hearing stepping behind him and seeing the dudes were "white" and he relaxed? Jackson's also Black. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies