Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I just can't believe that people live in this country and don't understand separation of church and state. How would they feel if a Muslim prayer was hung up in the school?
If we were in a Muslim nation or even a nation with a strong Muslim history, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,964,429 times
The old "abide by the constitution" BS Atheists throw around is crap. They just want things done their way and the hell with the rest of the people. No wonder they are the most hated group in this country. I see Jewish, Islam, and other stuff all of the time and it does not offend me, but the atheists seem to be offended by anything Christian. One person has to upset the apple cart,

Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What denomination was the mural??
That's a good question. Not because we don't know the answer but because the answer could be several religions, just not atheism. It's such a bitter belief isn't it.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,047,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
No, not really because people 50 years ago weren't that petty.
I agree with you here.
First, you don't know me so how can you assume that I haven't done anything in my community?
Second, I just find it funny that you praise her for standing up for her views and for "speak out against the man" but when young person who doesn't agree with you or believe the same things as you, you bash them for it. Just makes no sense.
I assume nothing of the sort. if your efforts are successful and get the attention this young woman's did then you should share a link. only a grump would not applaud the efforts of a person.

I have never bashed a young person for expressing their views even if it is one different then mine. I do expect a young person who feels strongly about their issues to be fully educated about them if they want a dialog. nothing worse then a close mind at any age that has taken a stand prematurely.

you posted the story. shouldn't a person be able to attend a public school that has no prayer on the wall? it is a public school. the administration can't promote religion even if most people think it is a non issue.

some of our spaces have to be neutral and a public school is one.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,047,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The old "abide by the constitution" BS Atheists throw around is crap. They just want things done their way and the hell with the rest of the people. No wonder they are the most hated group in this country. I see Jewish, Islam, and other stuff all of the time and it does not offend me, but the atheists seem to be offended by anything Christian. One person has to upset the apple cart,

the atheist you describe would be offended at all showings of any religion not just christian.

FYI there are far more then "one person". atheists and agnostics number in the millions

Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If we were in a Muslim nation or even a nation with a strong Muslim history, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Muslim nations... we ought to be like them. Great benchmark to support your agenda.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:

Appeal to tradition doesn't hold much sway when attempting to argue a point.

Try again.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Do you see Jewish, Muslim and "other stuff" being displayed in *public schools*? If so, they should be removed too.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,051,460 times
Quote:
That's a good question. Not because we don't know the answer but because the answer could be several religions, just not atheism. It's such a bitter belief isn't it.
Even if it's non-denominational, it's still religious, and it still breaks the law.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,622,400 times
Quote:
The old "abide by the constitution" BS Atheists throw around is crap. They just want things done their way and the hell with the rest of the people. No wonder they are the most hated group in this country.
Add the fact that most vocal Atheists are also bitter, narcissistic, whiny, insensitive and condescending. Is it any wonder that the general public has a sour opinion of Atheists when their loudest representatives constantly trumpet their intellectual superiority while at the same time insulting that which the majority hold sacred?

Not that the vocal representatives of Christianity are any better when they damn everyone to hell that doesn't fit into their narrow definition of what it means to be Christian. Though you have a pool of about 200 million Christians in the US to find the wackos, while you're only dealing with a few million true Atheists and still find a huge number of jerks.

Last edited by Vejadu; 01-19-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies