Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,593 times

Advertisements

How's come people from southern states call people from the north Yankees but people from the north never call southerners rebels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I was told, as a female, that using profanity was a sign of poor breeding.
And to use profanity in front of a lady was not the act of a gentleman.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
South Texas and West Texas are more of a Tex Mex culture... Just as friendly and polite but in a different way.
Yes, I know. I've lived in West Texas and have visited South Texas many times.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with being open-minded and accepting differences though. There are certain customs and ways of thinking in any place, and that holds true in New York as well.
I think part of it is that New York is more of a melting pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'm also not saying that Southerners can't be accepting of people from other places in the country and be accepted there (assuming they adapt properly.) I'm more interested in the identity aspect.
Identity? I don't idenitfy myself as a Southerner. I do as an American and a Texan, but I don't consider myself to share any identity with people from Georgia or Alabama or South Carolina or Tennessee.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
How's come people from southern states call people from the north Yankees but people from the north never call southerners rebels?
People in the north considered themselves Yankees... People in the south never really considered themselves as rebels but rather defenders against an invading force.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I always wondered that, when we had guys from Louisiana and Mississippi working up here in refineries they would call us Yankees all the time. Great welders those gents were. I'm guessing its a complex or something because they would say " Like you guys don't call us rebels" and my answer along with most others were that we never give it that much thought or even care. Who's got time to hold grudges from over 100 years ago?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That may be true in South Carolina, but believe me, in California and most parts of the country, being called "sir" or "ma'am" is not important.

I beg to differ with u P.S. CA. You know where i live out here, and recently by a young guy, was called ma'am. Infact i was looking at appliances at the time. I just thought it was sincere in his gesture to me and being very polite.

None the less, i find that no matter what part of the Country you live in there are two kinds of people Polite, and Rude.

I have been to most States, and find that the typical is not always the norm. States you would think that people should be very nice and sweet and polite, is not always the way it is, and vice versa.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
In other words, New York is more open-minded and accepting of people who are different.
Just when I thought we were going to have one nice thread about southerners, here you go with that bigoted opinion of the south. Where do you live?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,431,797 times
Topics...funny things aren't they?

Quote:
My question is - from a cultural standpoint - can somebody from a Northern state, that is any state that wouldn't be considered Southern, regardless of whether it's Northeast, Midwest, or West - become a true Southerner? Or do you have to be born there to qualify?
This is the topic that needs to be addressed. Please, stay on topic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Because Southerners are generally very polite, even to strangers. Midwesterners? Some are polite, some aren't...especially in large cities. The same could be said of Westerners to some extent. Northeasterners are the least polite.
some individuals are polite. some individuals aren't polite. it's not just a matter of culture. there are also different standards for what constitutes politeness. for example, in the south calling a woman "ma'am" is often considered polite and in the north it's often considered rude.

i'm not a southerner but i have acclimated to southern culture from having lived there. no one was about to call me a southerner, though. lol. i would call someone a northerner if they acclimated to a certain extent, even if they were technically born in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies