Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
If the country was founded on the ideas and beliefs on Christianity why is it that the country continues to bow to minority groups? Is it really a big deal if there is a time for prayer before school or that God is a word in the Pledge? Really? I mean really? People need to get a life and stop focusing on small stuff.
Is it really a big deal if there isn't prayer in the schools and if the word God were not in the Pledge? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I wonder if you'll be singing the same tune if Muslims become the majority and decide to change the pledge to 'Under Allah'. I mean, they're the majority and shouldn't be bowing down the Christian minority right?

I'm an Atheist and I don't care what you believe it, but forcing me to participate in your rituals that go against my beliefs is wrong. You can silently pray to yourself, pray at home, read the bible whenever you want and even in the fairly liberal California city I grew up in, the Christian group at my High School met 'At the pole' in the morning every day before school started to pray with each other. Nobody really cared, just don't force me to join you.

"Met at the pole." Are you saying they weren't allowed to meet inside because of their religious beliefs?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, I'm an Atheist who focuses mostly on Buddhist beliefs, which is deity free.

Respect for my Country? Well, technically I wasn't born in the US, I have respect for many different countries that I've traveled to but I've never thought to pledge my allegiance to any of them. Not even my home country.
I never got that allegiance thingy, either. I guess it means you support and are willing to die for the elite, um, I mean the country even if it is a total bully After all, the US would fall without its military, so the dying part is quite important.

Not to mention that a good god would probably not like the US at all and be offended by being associated with it.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
If the country was founded on the ideas and beliefs on Christianity why is it that the country continues to bow to minority groups? Is it really a big deal if there is a time for prayer before school or that God is a word in the Pledge? Really? I mean really? People need to get a life and stop focusing on small stuff.
It says one nation under God, not one nation under Christ.

There are more than 5,000 names for God in recorded history, can you point out where a speciific one is mentioned?

Last edited by burdell; 01-25-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
"One Nation Under God" was really a logical outcome of the Nazi promotion of "Gott Mit Uns".

Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the Declaration of Independence - George Washington, who presided over the Constitutional Convention - and James Madison, who drafted the Constitution (and the First Amendment) - all declared that our nation was not founded on religion. The separation of church and state is the founding principle in the protection of religious freedom as provided in the First Amendment to the Constitution; and, moreover, the Supreme Court has so interpreted it. Everson v. Board of Education of Ewing TP. et al., 330 U.S. 1 (1947).

Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Is it really a big deal if there isn't prayer in the schools and if the word God were not in the Pledge? Really?
The Lilliputians were feuding over how to break an egg, which goes to show that people will get up in arms about many things that should be a personal choice and not mandated....religion for instance.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:

We've left God long ago in this sin sick nation......

And from the way things look, He's letting us go too.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Nope it is one nation under the donkeys.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Nope it is one nation under the donkeys.
Chances are, donkey was Jesus' mode of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies