Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

Are parents in denial regarding what their children know about sex? A 14 year old is well aware of all this. Stop pretending like your children are under a rock and stop pretending that sexual topics are bad or a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post

Isn't home schooling starting to sound pretty good?
No, but private schooling is. If you can't afford it, then take Herman Cain's advice: Blame yo-self.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, but private schooling is. If you can't afford it, then take Herman Cain's advice: Blame yo-self.
I don't like that guy.... but he made a good point there.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Had to post immediately and say after reading the article that I doubt the 14 year old girl doesn't know anything about masturbation LOL! That is what her step dad said and that is hilarious!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Okay, after getting over my laughter at the step dad's quote, this whole thing reminds me of when I had to read a bunch of books that said "n*gg*r" in them when I was a kid in high school. I knew that people said it and it wasn't something I had never heard or heard of, so as a black child it wasn't a big deal.

I also remember them trying to deny me from reading The Color Purple at school. It wasn't even an assignment, I was just reading it because I was on an Alice Walker kick and wanted to read all her books and I got into a debate with our office staff at school due to me reading this book in lunch because it was "sexually explicit." I was 15 and a virgin and I knew what sex was and masturbation and about sexual abuse, which the main character endured in the book. Literature is suppose to reflect life. People have sex. If they didn't we wouldn't be here. People say and have said "n*gg*r" it is just a fact of life.

These parents should have talked to their daughter about her questions and used it as a start about being sexually responsible versus going off about someone describing a BJ or masturbation. Also a book isn't going to make a teen go out and have sex, if that were the case I should have been a nympho as a teen since I always had my nose stuck in a book and I never read "children's literature" since I was probably 8 years old. I read a lot of those raunchy romance novels as well and honestly they didn't make me want to go and have sex.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Had to post immediately and say after reading the article that I doubt the 14 year old girl doesn't know anything about masturbation LOL! That is what her step dad said and that is hilarious!
He was probably saying that to save face but in the back of his head he knew better.

[we are all born with the equipment needed for sex and it isn't long before the owner of said equipment decides to see what all the buttons do]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 01-28-2012 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
He was probably saying that to save face but in the back of his head he knew better.

[we are all born with the equipment needed for sex and it isn't long before the owner of said equipment decides to see what all the buttons do]
holy **** this thing has buttons?!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Questioning is always good. The schools have degenerated. One school made news a couple of years ago for instructing their students to "mutually masturbate" as if they could keep the pregnancy rate down with that instead of Birth Control!
Uhhhh, you can't get pregnant from mutual masturbation, so it technically IS safer than birth control - try 0% percent chance of pregnancy, versus ~3-20% depending on the form of BC. That particular act (between couples) has long been suggested as an alternative to sex, which I'd think would make you happy... as it's actually a part of abstinence education, and nothing is safer than that! Or would you rather they have intercourse, and hope the birth control doesn't fail & is used properly?

Quote:
Thank goodness parents raised heck about it, as they should have.
Sounds like only ONE parent "raised heck about it," so it really couldn't have been all that graphic... if you'd carefully read the article, it states "The school district also said no other parents came forward with complaints." I haven't read that book yet myself, but we do carry it in the Young Adult section (at the library) where I work. And not only is it very popular, but it has received national awards, and zero complaints/challenges at our branch. As many of us suggested on a similar old thread, maybe you should read the book before passing judgment?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,200,258 times
Most 14-year-olds wouldn't really care. Half wouldn't read the book, a quarter would only read the good parts, and the rest would finish the book but wouldn't be very shocked.
There's no point to sheltering kids these days. Anyone with mild curiosity and the necessary resources can be exposed to far worse than a mildly appalling work of fiction.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Just recalling the dozens of books that dealt with significantly more serious issues than sex and the body that I read before I was 14. Why do we readily accept violence in our culture, but shun anything to do with the human body? We are a backwards people.
It is not sex and the body it is the robbing of innocence what is left anyways and leaving kids to be kids for as long as possible.
Just because adults know about things does not mean all children know.
Funny how the libs are brushing a wide brush to say all kids know when they don't like the same brush stroke to lump them all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies