Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:13 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is not sex and the body it is the robbing of innocence what is left anyways and leaving kids to be kids for as long as possible.
Just because adults know about things does not mean all children know.
Funny how the libs are brushing a wide brush to say all kids know when they don't like the same brush stroke to lump them all together.
She is in HS! How long do we want "kids to stay innocent" and still expect them to be adults and sometimes be out on their own by age 18? This is just stupid. It's not as if it was an elementary school kid involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
There were 450 girls in my high school, and I can recall off the top of my head at least six who became pregnant and several others who disappeared for several months. I'm sure there would have been others that I didn't know about.

I think if people really thought back they would remember girls that left "to help take care of grandma, aunt "Mary", whomever", and came back a year or so later.

Hiding sex and/or making things "evil" can cause sexual dysfunction later in life.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Anybody who believes that a modern day 14 year old has not seen every sexual position imaginable on the internet is living in a dream world.

Where do these people come from? It's NOT 1950 anymore.
No kidding. Do you people think that this teenager didn't know anything about masturbating or how to do it before reading that book?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:24 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I'm sure there are some 14 yr olds who don't have sexual thoughts or much curiosity, everyone matures at a different rate and not all kids think the same. But on average they are familiar, and it's to the average and not the exception that we teach. It's always been that way and always will be.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Questioning is always good. The schools have degenerated. One school made news a couple of years ago for instructing their students to "mutually masturbate" as if they could keep the pregnancy rate down with that instead of Birth Control!

Thank goodness parents raised heck about it, as they should have.
Do you have some links to this story? Something other than FoxNews???

Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
All I know is 40 years ago there was not much teen pregnancies in school. We had maybe one girl drop out because she got pregnant. Now look at what is happening. The proof is in the pudding.
Perhaps you should write that as "all I assume is 40 years ago..."

Teen Pregnancy: Trends And Lessons Learned

The rate of teen childbearing in the United States has fallen steeply since the late 1950s, from an all time high of 96 births per 1,000 women aged 15-19 in 1957 to an all time low of 49 in 2000 (see chart below). Birthrates fell steadily throughout the 1960s and 1970s; they were fairly steady in the early 1980s and then rose sharply between 1988 and 1991 before declining throughout the 1990s. In recent years, this downward trend has occurred among teens of all ages and races.

Interestingly it is likely the same expanded access to information that causes you concern that has also given you the false impression that teenage pregnancy is recent trend. It was happening back in your happy safe days 40 years ago, you just didn't read about it as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Why do we readily accept violence in our culture, but shun anything to do with the human body? We are a backwards people.
I'm not sure this is really accurate. From this thread it appears the majority are on the same side as you are... there are only a few posters still clinging to this "backward" notion that teenagers need to be shielded from the reality of their bodies and sexuality.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
My dad was the product of a teen pregnancy in the 50s, just as his mother was the product of a teen pregnancy in the 40s - and those were far from isolated instances!

We talked about masturbation at slumber parties when I was 9 or 10 years old - that was almost 15 years ago. Even if a 14 year old isn't actively doing it, she absolutely knows what it is. Hell - I would consider it parental failure for a parent to not have addressed that before that age! Masturbation was wrapped up in talks about periods and puberty for me.

While her parents are more than welcome to have their daughter not read the book, it's interesting to me that they feel the need to flaunt their lack of mentoring and parenting skills on national news. She's in high school - why is she not more prepared?

Last edited by charolastra00; 01-29-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
{snip]
I'm not sure this is really accurate. From this thread it appears the majority are on the same side as you are... there are only a few posters still clinging to this "backward" notion that teenagers need to be shielded from the reality of their bodies and sexuality.
I haven't read the book.

There's a right way for young teens to learn about their bodies and sexuality. Is learning 'how to' perform sexual acts from that particular book appropriate ? I doubt it.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Gee, what happened to the "classics" ? Do they not read them in school anymore ?
Does it HAVE to be about sex ?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee, what happened to the "classics" ? Do they not read them in school anymore ?
Does it HAVE to be about sex ?
The book is not about sex. It is about a teen growing up on a reservation, surrounded by extreme poverty and alcoholism. It's wonderfully written, Sherman Alexie has an almost lyrical style. It is the kind of thing that should be read in high school since it makes you think and sparks discussion. Kids who are growing up facing dysfunction in their surroundings can relate, and kids who live idyllic lives start to get a sense of some parts of the world outside their paradise. Plus the protagonist as wicked sense of humor, so the book is also funny while dealing with serious subject matter.

If this was assigned in 5th grade I would totally agree, but high school? 14 is to old to expect " preservation of innocence". Anyone who has made it through the first couple of years of middle school has had an earful already. That ship has sailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies