Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the poster from a different thread, who read a book given to middle and high schoolers called, "Norwegian Wood" and defended that book as not graphic and non-objectionable for school kids?
I will correct you and you are wrong, since I haven't read that book yet... but again, parents should be reading these books if they are so concerned. I'm not a parent nor am I a teacher, so the burden of "proof" really doesn't lay on me anyway. But why are you depending on OTHER people's recommendations? I assume you can read pretty well, so a young adult book shouldn't take much time for you to finish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I'm sure they were, LOL Only difference is they weren't described in books assigned for students to read for class.
Yes they were... I could name many "classics" that contain graphic sexual content, from rape to pedophilia to everything else you could imagine. Do you all honestly think this is a new phenomenon? If so, you either have a selective memory or you're being purposefully deceitful.

And I'll ask you the same question I've asked others, despite the fact that nobody has answered - have YOU read this book yet? If not, how do you know what it contains, or whether the overall content is appropriate & valid in a classroom setting? I haven't read it myself, which is why I've refrained from passed judgement one way or another (on this specific title, at least). But I do have it in my possession now, and will begin reading it tonight.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
"When Vincent's 14-year old daughter began reading the book, she became upset. Vincent couldn't believe the actions described by one of the literary characters."
"She was masturbating and (describing) how to masturbate and how she did it and also giving a boy a (expletive) and going into great detail of how to perform it," said Vincent."

Read more: Parents Outraged Over School Book's Graphic Sexual Content - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville

And it won a "National Book Award" for Young Readers Literature, of course...

Isn't home schooling starting to sound pretty good?

Parents Outraged Over School Book's Graphic Sexual Content - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville
I am a Liberal, and I personally do not think 14 years old's should be reading about BJs and masturbation. Come on people, where is the common sense.

Last edited by NYer75; 02-02-2012 at 11:50 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I will correct you and you are wrong, since I haven't read that book yet... but again, parents should be reading these books if they are so concerned. I'm not a parent nor am I a teacher, so the burden of "proof" really doesn't lay on me anyway. But why are you depending on OTHER people's recommendations? I assume you can read pretty well, so a young adult book shouldn't take much time for you to finish!
Oh, I'm not. I have read enough of the books in question to know that the objections are usually valid despite the minimizing done on these boards. I trust this one will be no different. But, just to be fair, I have ordered it from Amazon and will report back on my findings, which may differ from yours. BTW, sorry for mixing you up with another poster regarding the Norwegian Wood book. But, I'm curious, assuming my description of it is correct, would you think that book would be appropriate for public school reading? Here, again, is the description of the book.

That was the book that described in great detail over the course of 3 or 4 pages, a sex scene between a 13 year old girl and a middle aged mother. The book carefully described the girl unfastening the woman's bra and feeling her breasts and performing oral sex on her and told how the woman liked the touch of the girl, comparing it favorably to that of her husband.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm not. I have read enough of the books in question to know that the objections are usually valid despite the minimizing done on these boards. I trust this one will be no different. But, just to be fair, I have ordered it from Amazon and will report back on my findings, which may differ from yours. BTW, sorry for mixing you up with another poster regarding the Norwegian Wood book. But, I'm curious, assuming my description of it is correct, would you think that book would be appropriate for public school reading? Here, again, is the description of the book.

That was the book that described in great detail over the course of 3 or 4 pages, a sex scene between a 13 year old girl and a middle aged mother. The book carefully described the girl unfastening the woman's bra and feeling her breasts and performing oral sex on her and told how the woman liked the touch of the girl, comparing it favorably to that of her husband.
First I'd have to know where/who that exact synopsis comes from, and then I'd have to know the context surrounding the scene... from what another poster (the one I believe you confused me with) said, it wasn't that graphic and had an important role in the overall themes of the novel. They also said it was displaying how manipulative the CHILD was, and that it was more of an "I'm going to get you in trouble" kind of situation. I really can't give my personal recommendation without reading it first, but in that context it seems okay for a high schooler - maybe not a middle schooler, though.

Example: If I simply told you "I'm going to assign a book which involves bigotry/racist slurs, domestic violence, and the incestuous rape of a child" - would you think that was appropriate for a high school student? Of course I'm describing The Color Purple, which has been assigned in classrooms for decades, and has won numerous prestigious awards. See where I'm going with that analogy?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 AM

14 posts, read 10,292 times
This book should not be read by anyone under the age of 18 years of age. It's disgusting smut.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Conservative View Post
This book should not be read by anyone under the age of 18 years of age. It's disgusting smut.
Did you read it? If so, in what ways do you disagree with the National Book Award committee?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 AM

14 posts, read 10,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you read it? If so, in what ways do you disagree with the National Book Award committee?
I've read graphic excerpts and I found them unsuitable for high school aged children.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
I've read graphic excerpts and I found them unsuitable for high school aged children.
How about a book that talks about men having penises like donkeys and semen like horses?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Context surrounding the passages should also be considered, but going with what you're saying as truth... if you feel it's inappropriate, then tell your children (if you have any) not to read it. Again, there were permission slips sent home in this case, which the father could have easily opted not to sign.

Btw, I just started perusing the book, and it's definitely geared towards a teen reader - almost like Diary of a Wimpy Kid or TTYL in terms of formatting & language. I haven't seen the "graphic" passages yet, but I don't see how this could be marketed to anyone BUT teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies