Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Basically, conservatives by and large don't think workers should have any rights whatsoever. What rights and protections have they ever supported, I wonder. Unfortunately padcrasher, we're on the fast track to "developing nation" status. My grandkids will have the same standard of living that the average Mexican enjoys, sadly. I'm more certain of it by the day.
In the back of their minds, these ignorant, scared imbeciles think that if they just give up more of their demands for good pay/benefits....the corporate masters will take pity on them and reward them with good jobs ( in comparison to the riff raff) ...LOL

Little do they know, because of their assault on unions, and cutting taxes on the rich, middle class existence is a thing of the past.

Only a small fraction of their kids/grandkids will thrive because they've allowed coporations and the elite to consolidate all the power and money.

And these poor white low IQ voters keep voting GOP.....hastening their demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
In the back of their minds, these ignorant, scared imbeciles think that if they just give up more of their demands for good pay/benefits....the corporate masters will take pity on them and reward them with good jobs ( in comparison to the riff raff) ...LOL

Little do they know, because of their assault on unions and cutting taxes on the rich, middle class existence is a thing of the past, only a small fraction of their kids/grandkids will thrive because they've allowed coporations and the elite to consolidate all the power and money.
It's like serfs who, once freed, choose to return to their serfdom, thinking that they don't deserve any of the respect and dignity that they worked so hard to win. Because of course, the Lord in his Manor is richer, more powerful, and therefore better than they are. It's pretty much the same attitude we're seeing today. Very sad.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Unions had a good run. The economy is very different now than it was back in the 1920s.
Actually, the workplaces are starting to resemble the non-union workplaces of the 1920's more everyday.

I work for a large gas/electric utility. I've been a union man for 25 years and they've been good to me. I can make 100K by Labor Day if I'm motivated to work that much OT.

I have a pension plan that will pay me 60% of my average salary for my last 5 years at work. Full retirement age for me is 58 with a health insurance and social security bridge until I turn 67. To me, that should be the minimum for any working person in this country. When have we decided that less is ok?

My company hasn't laid anyone off in 100 years. They are profitable and their customers get the best rates in the country (that includes non-union workforce utilities).

The company loves the union. The union ensures a trained, quality and diverse workforce for them (the IBEW was fighting for the rights of minorities and women since before anyone on this forum was born).

I've heard how people are treated in non-union workplaces and I'll tell you this. It sucks compared to what I have. We have a professional, well trained workforce. When your lights or gas goes out you know it will be put back in service. When it's 30 below zero, you know you'll have enough gas to heat your house.

Unions are in jobs where companies can't afford to allow management alone to make the decision regarding safety and personnel. Our union protects management from their own stupid decisions. Kind of like a democratic congress and republican senate.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
It's like serfs who, once freed, choose to return to their serfdom, thinking that they don't deserve any of the respect and dignity that they worked so hard to win. Because of course, the Lord in his Manor is richer, more powerful, and therefore better than they are. It's pretty much the same attitude we're seeing today. Very sad.
Exactly. It's a sick version of Stockholm Syndrome.

That's how you get ahead in 3rd World Nations. Show the big boss, how loyal you are. Be the person that will do ANYTHING he asks of you.

Nations with the highest rates of union memberships have the highest standard of living in the World.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
And these poor white low IQ voters keep voting GOP.....hastening their demise.
I'd bet more low IQ voters vote Democrat than Republican.

The percent of high school dropouts who consistently vote Democrat is much greater than the percent who consistently vote Republican.

The percent of people with Bachelor's degrees who consistently vote Republican is greater than the percent who consistently vote Democrat (though those with advanced degrees do favor Democrats).

What you and the other pro-union posters are spewing is insane.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't think it'll make any difference. The percentage of American employees in unions is 8% and dropping. The average American worker has never been in a union, and probably won't be in a union.
It will make a difference in democrat coffers, where all that money the unions can no longer FORCE out of their members goes.

Quote:
It's so amazing the hate US citizens have for union workers trying to provide for their families.
Not the workers, but the political apparatus the unions have created - a parasitic relationship between the unions and the democrat party, costing jobs, bloating government, wasting taxpayer money all for the benefit of a political party.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The economy is very different now than it was back in the 1920s.
The economy now bears a striking resemblance to the economy after 10/24/1929.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Unfortunately, this law solves nothing. What the legislature needs to write and pass is a "Go To Work" bill to get folks off their couches. Take off those bedroom slippers, put on your work boots, shake it off, quit whinin, quit complain,, that sorta stuff.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The economy now bears a striking resemblance to the economy after 10/24/1929.
No, it's not. Are you serious?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'd bet more low IQ voters vote Democrat than Republican.

The percent of high school dropouts who consistently vote Democrat is much greater than the percent who consistently vote Republican.

The percent of people with Bachelor's degrees who consistently vote Republican is greater than the percent who consistently vote Democrat (though those with advanced degrees do favor Democrats).

What you and the other pro-union posters are spewing is insane.
Well there are Democratic voters and there are Liberal voters.

Liberal voters, (the ones most likely to be pro-union) do have higher IQs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies