Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:08 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,968,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Anything that contributes to the demise of union thuggery is a good thing.

That said, right-to-work is kind of a raw deal, too. I don't think an employer should have the right to fire you because you smoke or because they find gingers offensive or you won't work 100 hours a week. There really does need to be a balance struck by which there are SOME protections besides age, gender, race, and orientation.
No there shouldn't.

Otherwise you take the rights of the business owner away and place it into the hands of the bureaucracy to which feeds off the public demand for special treatment and places us right back into the process of union thuggery.

The only way to protect an individuals rights is to completely protect ALL individuals rights, not just the select to which fits any given groups agenda. If people do not like the way a business functions, they can refuse to work for them, refuse to do business with them, and inform others as to their opinion so they can also decide if they agree. That is the extent of respecting liberty. The rest is rationalization to infringe and there is no justification for infringement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,968,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And with all due respect, if things keep going the way they're going, those "resonable labor laws" and balance between labor and employers will be swept aside, and die away. I'm not really a union guy, and I understand why people support right to work, but I do understand that they have played an important role in the rise of the middle class and giving workers some kind of dignity. I also believe that the only motivation that Indiana Republicans have behind this is to cripple a political foe.

I often hear the argument that "unions were useful once , but now they're not needed." I disagree. I'd sure like to know who exactly would support the rights of workers once unions are gone. Because it certainly won't be any business owner, that's for sure.

Welcome to the Gilded Age, part II
The greatest achievement of an encroaching government is that the people are convinced that they are powerless without it.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,968,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Indiana becomes 23rd right-to-work state | Reuters

Good for Indiana!

Indiana is the first state to enact right to work legislation since 2001. Hopefully other states will soon follow its lead.

Good job Indiana.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,998,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think you should have the right to work and not be forced into a union to have a job.
Well then you think that unions should be destroyed basically.

Because if union members are allowed not to join a union, then they will be favored for promotion, they will be used as scab labor.

In short, so called "right-to-work" laws destroy any leverage the union has in negotiating their contract.

It's so amazing the hate US citizens have for union workers trying to provide for their families.

You will not find this mentality anywhere else in the World.

Almost an entire populace that's so ignorant and lazy that they fall for right wing propaganda designed to increase corporate power and weaken workers pay/benefits/rights.

In a time where the gap between rich and poor is the greatest in our history.

Pathetically sad how ignorant US citizens are. I'd rank them having a intellect on the level of African tribal communties. Just as misinformed, no reason, no rational in their thinking.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,491,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The greatest achievement of an encroaching government is that the people are convinced that they are powerless without it.
One of the main functions of good government is to protect the weak from being exploited by the strong. It WILL happen because power will corrupt anyone and must be checked (including the government). Therefore governments have to enact regulations to protect people from others. Britain recognized this during their industrial revolution, and we did in the early 20th century. In fact the reason we have labor laws in this country is because during the 19th century industry proved that they had NO PROBLEM exploiting workers, putting them in dangerous sweatshop conditions, and employing children to work in dangerous occupations if it fed their bottom line.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,491,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Because if union members are allowed not to join a union, then they will be favored for promotion, they will be used as scab labor.

In short, so called "right-to-work" laws destroy any leverage the union has in negotiating their contract.

It's so amazing the hate US citizens have for union workers trying to provide for their families.

You will not find this mentality anywhere else in the World.

Almost an entire populace that's so ignorant and lazy that they fall for right wing propaganda designed to increase corporate power and weaken workers pay/benefits/rights.

In a time where the gap between rich and poor is the greatest in our history.
Basically, conservatives by and large don't think workers should have any rights whatsoever. What rights and protections have they ever supported, I wonder? Oh that's right--NONE! Unfortunately padcrasher, we're on the fast track to "developing nation" status. My grandkids will have the same standard of living that the average Mexican enjoys, sadly. I'm more certain of it by the day.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,533,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Indiana becomes 23rd right-to-work state | Reuters

Good for Indiana!

Indiana is the first state to enact right to work legislation since 2001. Hopefully other states will soon follow its lead.

Hallelujah! Common sense in yet another state. I'm very happy for their citizens. The unions and often their thuggery is hopefully losing grips while their Communist president is in our White House.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,819,095 times
Quote:
Pathetically sad how ignorant US citizens are. I'd rank them having a intellect on the level of African tribal communties. Just as misinformed, no reason, no rational in their thinking.
Unions had a good run. The economy is very different now than it was back in the 1920s.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,567,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't think it'll make any difference. The percentage of American employees in unions is 8% and dropping. The average American worker has never been in a union, and probably won't be in a union.
But 90% of C-D posters think they are an expert on unions

Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,486,079 times
Quote:

Hey - that's a good reason to support right to work laws!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies