Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The problem is conservatives don't discriminate when they want to cut programs. They aggressively target Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Food stamps when the primary beneficiaries of those programs are children and the elderly. A lot of conservatives don't realize this, but the primary beneficiaries of Food Stamps are children and the main use of Medicaid is nursing home care.
I don't think that's it. I think liberals don't want to discriminate as far as who receives handouts. There is wide spread abuse which makes help pretty scarce for those that really should be receiving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Rant on, John Donne.
What does your post mean, and do you have anything except for your opinion? Doesn't look like it from here.
Those questions were rhetorical because those positions do not logically reconcile.

Judging by your deflecting non-answer, it seems you may have figured that out.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Thus why I said 3-5 years and "it would be gone in 5 years" You also act like its so easy just buy more coverage. If you want you can spend a fortune and get millions in coverage. That is not an option for many people as even basic ltc coverage is not an option if you are barely making ends meet, but hey I guess someone who works 2 30 hour a week jobs with no benefits is just being lazy.

As to personal responsibility I hate it when people use those words since they never apply it to themselves. Why not just say what you really mean? "I like to judge other people's choices and set the penalties and rewards as I see fit."

And yes I do believe the government should provide that. I think it would be the single greatest boon to small business and the middle class if government took the full burden of health care coverage mark me down as a liberal for single payer cradle to grave health care.
I do not have the power to choose winners and losers, neither does the government.

My point is this.....YOU should realize that you will be old some day and prepare for it. Adjust your lifestyle so you can afford the necessary insurance instead of throwing your life at the feet of some bureaucrat to do with as they wish.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Fixed that for you....

We donate money and goods to the local shelters, food banks, Goodwill and the like. How much varies from month to month, year to year.

Since I started working in St Louis every week about 9 mos ago, I've probably averaged over $40/mo to the homeless guys on the corners downtown. Does that count?
Certainly. Because it goes directly to the source. Had that been filtered through the sticky fingers of government, about .15 cents would get through.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I might also note that for all of the conservatives on this board who have told me that my story is one that would make them pull their wallet out to help me, it's been the liberals here who have donated to help me pay rent and medical bills while facing cancer.

The same is true in my personal life too. Liberals universally were the ones who helped drive me to and from chemo, make me meals when I couldn't do it myself, helped with laundry, and offered money to help pay bills. I can't think of a single conservative who so much as offered - and there are many conservatives in my life (including several wealthy relatives who acted as if I had leprosy during my illness). I never asked for help from them - it was freely offered.

The conservatives are also the ones who make it increasingly difficult for young adults with serious illness to get financial help.

So I am fairly confident with my assumptions that the average conservative does not care much about the poor and the sick. I will continue to believe that until I am proven otherwise. In my decade of volunteering, interning, and working with nonprofits (mostly in a very conservative part of the country), it's laughable to think that conservatives put forth more effort than liberals.

Protip: Typically the donation statistics are skewed by religious donations. Churches are the biggest destination of donor dollars in the country. I'm not talking religious-based service organizations (like the Salvation Army), but straight up donations to houses of worship. Some of that money trickles down to the poor to be fair, but much of that is tied up in salaries and real estate.
I'm sorry for your illness and I'm glad to hear that you had people willing to help you.

Stay well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies