Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Gold tells me that oil is being priced higher due to the ruin of our financial system, not peak oil. Its an inflation hedge. That is not to say that right behind it is cheap peak oil. However there is really no market based evidence we are at peak oil. That is a geologist's call to make.
Wrong. Gold is going higher because the world economy can no longer grow due to peak oil meaning fiat currencies are toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
The problem with electric cars is that they are reliant on advanced industrial tecnologies, underpinned by cheap fossil fuels. Scaling these things up will prove extremely difficult in an energy (and finance) scarce future.

Its clever monkeys up against making something out of pebble bed reactors or thorium. We are all of course extremely thankful for Japan's complete misuse and concentration of nuclear energy in the worst possible way to completely defame the only real alternative.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Its clever monkeys up against making something out of pebble bed reactors or thorium. We are all of course extremely thankful for Japan's complete misuse and concentration of nuclear energy in the worst possible way to completely defame the only real alternative.
If the world was run soley on nuclear power we would have to decommission and commission a new nuclear reactor every day. Also the worlds reserve to production ratio of uranium and thorium combined would be 5 years. Just something to think about.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
The problem with electric cars is that they are reliant on advanced industrial tecnologies, underpinned by cheap fossil fuels. Scaling these things up will prove extremely difficult in an energy (and finance) scarce future.
Even more than difficult... it's impossible with current technology. As long as electric cars can only go a 100 miles and take 8 hours to charge they will be nothing more than toys.

It can only happen with a serious game-changer that will be just as revolutionary as the invention of steam power.

And here it is:

The Wonders of Nanotechnology - YouTube

This is only the tip of the iceberg, BTW. Nanotechnology is the world-shaking paradigm shift that will make it possible to completely replace fossil fuels as an energy source. It will lead to efficient solar power collection and grid-less energy distribution (probably eventually beamed to earth from space where solar panels can be collecting solar energy 24/7 with no interruptions), real-life superconductors, efficient and instantly chargeable long-life batteries, an entirely reinvented medical care system and new, interesting ways of killing each other.

The future will be exciting and scary, but the point is that we really do have a future. Peak oil is not the end, not by a long shot.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
If the world was run soley on nuclear power we would have to decommission and commission a new nuclear reactor every day. Also the worlds reserve to production ratio of uranium and thorium combined would be 5 years. Just something to think about.

Where do you get only 5 years worth? I am really going to need to see some evidence for that.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Even more than difficult... it's impossible with current technology. As long as electric cars can only go a 100 miles and take 8 hours to charge they will be nothing more than toys.

It can only happen with a serious game-changer that will be just as revolutionary as the invention of steam power.

And here it is:

The Wonders of Nanotechnology - YouTube

This is only the tip of the iceberg, BTW. Nanotechnology is the world-shaking paradigm shift that will make it possible to completely replace fossil fuels as an energy source. It will lead to efficient solar power collection and grid-less energy distribution (probably eventually beamed to earth from space where solar panels can be collecting solar energy 24/7 with no interruptions), real-life superconductors, efficient and instantly chargeable long-life batteries, an entirely reinvented medical care system and new, interesting ways of killing each other.

The future will be exciting and scary, but the point is that we really do have a future. Peak oil is not the end, not by a long shot.

How much oil does it take to make those though?

In the long run i've no doubt we'll adapt, but there is no quick fix in the short term (ie the next 20 years).

Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
How much oil does it take to make those though?

In the long run i've no doubt we'll adapt, but there is no quick fix in the short term (ie the next 20 years).
It's a good thing half the oil that has ever existed is still in the ground, that we can make synthetic oil from coal and that Canada is our tarry, sticky friend. I guess we can strip mine Colorado as a last resort too, but stay away from Utah!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's a good thing half the oil that has ever existed is still in the ground, that we can make synthetic oil from coal and that Canada is our tarry, sticky friend. I guess we can strip mine Colorado as a last resort, but stay away from Utah!
You know shell state that optimistically the tar sands production will reach 5 million barrells per day by 2035?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Where do you get only 5 years worth? I am really going to need to see some evidence for that.
It's BS. When i was 8 I was taught we only had 50 years of oil left. I am 53 now.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The paper was published on the energy bulletin website about a year ago. I'll have a look. The paper didn't take into account breeder reactor technology though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies