Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Pretty much. What other choice do I have?

I've talked to some family members about it. If I was going to accept outside capital (in return for an ownership stake), it would have to be kept in the family.

You don't know that. This opportunity for arbitrage has a limited geographic range; it just so happens that the geographic area in which it can be realized is a place that most people aren't familiar with. So, there's a severe lack of competition, and an opportunity that has gone unrecognized.

But, even if you're right, and someone beats me to it -- there's nothing I can do about that.
But there is something you can do about it. You can attract investors and put your ideas into action. You are choosing not to try. That's your prerogative, but if you are going to do that, please stop complaining about how the rich are stopping you from realizing your dreams. The door is there, and it's even unlocked. You're refusing to grab the handle, turn it & pull, choosing instead to just complain about the closed door. Or maybe hoping the wind will blow it open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I've, and it is why I question the insanity. It is why you've now begun the typical run around.

Creating demand via appeal is different though, it is still creating demand. A product won't be produced if there wasn't demand for it. Well, except in the right wing world, where goods are produced because the rich can afford to produce and hence they're the "job creators".
I'd argue there was no demand for tablets before Ipads created it. Netbooks & oversized pdas were tried and flopped. When Ipads came out, they were functionally just bigger but broken Iphones. But Apples fans went crazy when the Ipad was announced, snapped it up when it was released, and the industry followed.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'd argue there was no demand for tablets before Ipads created it. Netbooks & oversized pdas were tried and flopped. When Ipads came out, they were functionally just bigger but broken Iphones. But Apples fans went crazy when the Ipad was announced, snapped it up when it was released, and the industry followed.
There was demand though, created or otherwise. This is different from Apple hell bent on producing something there is no demand for, but just because it has capital laying around.

Tablets were only a matter of time. We should have seen that coming ten years ago, with laptops gaining ground.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Ha, I used to do that to my parents, when I was about 7 years old. You know, cryptic answers, to disguise the fact that I was a 7 year old who didn't know what I was talking about.

I guess some people make this into a lifelong habit: if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t.
Your introspection is showing.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
For the other idea, which is a business built around my personal skillset, this might work. I'd basically need to sell myself. The big challenge in that one is not so much capital, as it is clients. It does require some capital, but that's not a huge obstacle.
So what's the problem?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
So what's the problem?
Problem with what? There is no problem with that idea. There is an obstacle, and that obstacle is that I haven't found any clients yet. This is proving to be a difficult obstacle to overcome.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Without the seed, there would be no plant, so to speak.

As much as it disturbs you, the rich do create the jobs in America.
No, they don't and another banal post with no support for it isn't going to change that. They have one element that is necessary, being of a lower marginal propensity to consume allows one to increase wealth. Wealth allows one to divert resources not dedicated to subsistence. That is not the big picture for all that is necessary.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 02-06-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 11:27 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
But there is something you can do about it. You can attract investors and put your ideas into action.
Like I said, I don't want to give away my idea for free.

Quote:
You are choosing not to try.
That's not true. I'm raising my own capital. It is just going to take a few decades.

Quote:
That's your prerogative, but if you are going to do that, please stop complaining about how the rich are stopping you from realizing your dreams. The door is there, and it's even unlocked. You're refusing to grab the handle, turn it & pull, choosing instead to just complain about the closed door. Or maybe hoping the wind will blow it open.
These are all hollow metaphors which bear little relationship to what I'm dealing with. The bottom line, relative to this thread, is that the source of capital is the Federal Reserve, and I can't borrow from the Federal Reserve.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
The big lie, "rich people create jobs"....

Of course not! We all know that the poor create the jobs in this country.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Rich people don't create jobs.

Demand creates jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies