Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Abortion, the killing of innocents, is clearly murder.
No.

It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Abortion, the killing of innocents, is clearly murder.
Your "clarity" is anomalous.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How do they propose that the joint rights conferred by marriage contracts be applied to groups of any number of people?

If I can register as many marriage contracts as I want, what would stop me from marrying all 5,000 of my girl and boyfriends down in my favorite Mexican border town and moving them all to the US via spousal immigration visas?

This is the hook that separates polygamous marriages from same sex marriage debate.

Polygamy involves fundamentally changing the way marriage benefits are doled out. From a practical standpoint, it may be impossible.

Same sex merely expands the category of people that can take part in an alread-existing framework.

Government "recognition" of polygamous marriages (which I have no moral qualm with) would be unworkable, unless all benefits of government-recognized marriage are done away with. At that point, the government would have no interest at all in who gets to marry whom, because it won't be able to enforce the marriage contract.

And those who are for the government having NO interest in conferring rights and benefits often forget the practical implications of that argument. Immigration implications alone are huge.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Money is, indeed, an important factor. And, as one can see in this article from the Toronto Sun, polygamy can be a financial drain on society.

"Hundreds of GTA Muslim men in polygamous marriages -- some with a harem of wives -- are receiving welfare and social benefits for each of their spouses, thanks to the city and province, Muslim leaders say."
It's none of my business if a man wants 2 or more wives, but I sure as hell don't want to be supporting their lazy arses. I believe that there was something in the Quran about the man being able to support his wives. If they are living off of the welfare system it would be contrary to what their religion says!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I think FLDS should be able to marry as many women as they want. Not my problem.

So yea...i think polygamy laws are a violation...or at a minimum, too intrusive.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
He isn't married to all of them. He is married to 1 an "spiritually" married to the others.

I think his church does not condone polygamy anymore. It leads to not enough men for marriage. They boys are chased off when they get to the marriage age. Really horrible stories coming from polygamy camps.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM

186 posts, read 263,414 times
Why are people so against polygamy, yet don't seem to mind males who get multiple females pregnant, and can't support the children and don't stick around. We seem to have so many single mothers with multiple children from multiple fathers, yet the Government spends money to investigate households with mutltiple adults in them who say they love each other and want to try to build a family unit.

I would rather see them try and fail than the rampant baby making that seems to be going on. There is no "family" in throwing sperm at as many willing women as possible and seeing how much sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies