Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No it's not 1940...which is kinda my point.

Why this GREAT LEAP in progressive thinking on race all of a sudden since 2008? Why wasn't this great leap on this topic made between the years of 1940 and 2008? Or between 1865 and 2008....you know....i'll give it even more cushion.

But between 2008 and 2012, all of a sudden certain whitefolks have had this great enlightenment on racial matters....wanting to embrace all the mullatos of the world and claim them as their own.

LOL....come on. The game is up. No one is being fooled here.
What "GREAT LEAP?" LOL. Circumstances and classifications have always changed in this country. It's not like biracials were always considered black until 2008 lol. I don't know what part of the country you grew up in, but "mixed" folks who identified themselves according to their parentage goes back atleast 30 years from my memory. Every white mom with a mixed kid growing up that I knew never simply referred to their children as "black"...they always called them just what they were..."mixed." Same with the kids and what they called themselves. I never heard them say "I'm black"...they always said "I'm mixed." And to be quite honest, I don't think Obama himself has ever called himself "black"...he has always made vague references (i.e. if I were to try catching a cab in NYC...what do you think?") to draw parallels between he and the black community or by checking off African-American on his census card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,753,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Lucario

What's bizzare about it? The world and the circumstances that produce these children are not the same as they were in slavery times lol.

How hard is that to understand?
I'm not talking about slavery times. I'm talking about the 1960s - when Barack Obama and myself were born. Do you not realize that blacks were still not allowed to vote in many parts of this country then? Do you not realize that there were still parts of this country that were legally and de facto segregated into the 1970s? Things have not changed that much.

Quote:
If Frederick Douglass were born today--yes--he would be considered biracial. He was born a slave sometime in the early 18th century, where in those times, multattoes still occupied apart of the slave class by default.

By "cherry picked" I'm referring to the consant historical hypotheticals (i.e. you're taking historical norms and applying them to the standards of today.")

And calling him a"black guy" with a white mom is simply inaccurate or no more accurate than calling him a "white guy with a black dad."
Since you keep talking about the rules........in this society (and most of them, frankly) a black person cannot be the parent of a white person, because whites are not of discernible African (or non-European) ancestry.
Quote:

The man is biracal. Like it or not he is not the first "black president" lol. We know there's a lot of invested pride there, but some of you are really kidding yourselves.
I think the only delusional person in this conversation is you.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,329,937 times
Quote:
What "GREAT LEAP?" LOL. Circumstances and classifications have always changed in this country. It's not like biracials were always considered black until 2008 lol. I don't know what part of the country you grew up in, but "mixed" folks who identified themselves according to their parentage goes back atleast 30 years from my memory.
Fair enough, but when did white folks become the great defenders of mullato autonomy and the need for them to be separated from those bad ol' black folks?

This has historically been an intra-black conversation, and i'm not going to get into the details, but i've never known whites to give a damn about this conversation EVER!!! I mean, i've never heard white folks be so interested in chiming in on this topic.

The way i see it, (although i'm arguing with you about it....an anomaly) it's STILL a black conversation, and outsiders aren't really invited. Now you can state your opinions since it is a free country. But the heavy lifting on the topic will be done by black folks and only we will determine the outcome.

That said, i do find your comments to be interesting, if not a bit misguided. Maybe a little dubious in your intent too....but i can't prove that.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Lucario

Quote:
I'm not talking about slavery times. I'm talking about the 1960s - when Barack Obama and myself were born. Do you not realize that blacks were still not allowed to vote in many parts of this country then? Do you not realize that there were still parts of this country that were legally and de facto segregated into the 1970s? Things have not changed that much.
Things have changed a lot since then. And do you think racial discrimination is what defines being "black" is? If people treated the whitest white man, as if he were black...would that all of a sudden make him black too due to said treatment? Of course not. What about a black guy who hasn't experienced any of the racism that you've named. Does that make him white? Again,...of course not. This is why this application of racial identity doesn't make any sense.

You can't experience "being black" because not all blacks have the same experiences.

Quote:
Since you keep talking about the rules........in this society (and most of them, frankly) a black person cannot be the parent of a white person, because whites are not of discernible African (or non-European) ancestry.

I think the only delusional person in this conversation is you.
lol I didn't discuss any rules. I just said that to call him a "black guy with a white mom" is no more accurate than calling him a "white guy with a black dad." Neither of the two make any sense.

I'm calling him what he is by racial identity...both black & white. You can't erase his genetic identity just to suit your political needs.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Lucario

Things have changed a lot since then. And do you think racial discrimination is what defines being "black" is? If people treated the whitest white man, as if he were black...would that all of a sudden make him black too due to said treatment? Of course not. What about a black guy who hasn't experienced any of the racism that you've named. Does that make him white? Again,...of course not. This is why this application of racial identity doesn't make any sense.
In this country, a person such as this does not exist.

Quote:
You can't experience "being black" because not all blacks have the same experiences.
I can experience being black because I have been black all my life.

Quote:
lol I didn't discuss any rules. I just said that to call him a "black guy with a white mom" is no more accurate than calling him a "white guy with a black dad." Neither of the two make any sense.

I'm calling him what he is by racial identity...both black & white. You can't erase his genetic identity just to suit your political needs.
Why can't I do it? It's been being done for centuries. I didn't set this up, but all of a sudden since I follow the rules and norms of my culture (and the mainstream), I'm trying to suit my political needs? I am getting tired of this insanity.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM

desertdetroiter
Quote:
Fair enough, but when did white folks become the great defenders of mullato autonomy and the need for them to be separated from those bad ol' black folks?
Honestly, I haven't heard whites really go on about it. As someone who is fully black--the only difference in opinion that I saw was in a CNN poll where more than 50% of whites saw him as biracial, where an overwhelming majority of blacks saw him as black.

From my POV a lot of whites were strictly going by his parentage while blacks were just using their understanding of how he historically would have been catagorized.

Personally, if Obama had of been a "true African-American" where his family would have been mixed historically--I think most whites would have called him "black" just as they would have called anyone else historically mixed as black.

Quote:
This has historically been an intra-black conversation, and i'm not going to get into the details, but i've never known whites to give a damn about this conversation EVER!!! I mean, i've never heard white folks be so interested in chiming in on this topic.
Agreed.

Quote:
The way i see it, (although i'm arguing with you about it....an anomaly) it's STILL a black conversation, and outsiders aren't really invited. Now you can state your opinions since it is a free country. But the heavy lifting on the topic will be done by black folks and only we will determine the outcome.
That said, i do find your comments to be interesting, if not a bit misguided. Maybe a little dubious in your intent too....but i can't prove that.
Thanks for the invitation, but I am black. Besides this isn't a discussion of a opinion the way I see it. The man's mother is white--his father is black--the man is biracial. There's nothing else to debate about. He's both, either way that you slice it.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Lucario

Quote:
In this country, a person such as this does not exist.
No one is at liberty to say that. But here's a better question. If someone has experienced pervasive racism throughout their lives for being black...does that make them more black than someone who has experienced less racism?

Quote:
Why can't I do it? It's been being done for centuries. I didn't set this up, but all of a sudden since I follow the rules and norms of my culture (and the mainstream), I'm trying to suit my political needs? I am getting tired of this insanity.
Your points are obviously politically and socially motivated for your own gains. If it weren't, you would admit to the fact that he's 50/50 biracial and no more black than he is white. But because you have a void that you need to fill, you insist on coming up with these ambiguous identities such as "black guy with a white mom" to atleast satisfy some of your needs.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Lucario

No one is at liberty to say that. But here's a better question. If someone has experienced pervasive racism throughout their lives for being black...does that make them more black than someone who has experienced less racism?

Your points are obviously politically and socially motivated for your own gains. If it weren't, you would admit to the fact that he's 50/50 biracial and no more black than he is white. But because you have a void that you need to fill, you insist on coming up with these ambiguous identities such as "black guy with a white mom" to atleast satisfy some of your needs.
Is that so? Do tell. What is this void that I have to fill? What are these needs of which you speak?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:18 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,329,937 times
Quote:
Lucario

Obama himself identifies this way. Why not take it up with him?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,488,507 times
I think we should just start calling all black people in this country Pardo. Or maybe mulatto. If you family has been here before 1900 and you consider yourself black, there's a 95 percent chance you got some white in you. I think if we start categorizing black folks like that it would be more accurate and itshim would be satisfied i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies