Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM

674 posts, read 699,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
But this isn't Mississippi, or South Africa circa 1950. And he is the POTUS. So I guess the question remains...how is he anymore qualified to be black than he is white?
Please don't attempt to logically reason with this man about his arbitrary classifications. If a Swede wanted to claim he/she was black this guy would welcome them to the charade with a ceremony. One drop of black blood somewhere in a pinky toe is good enough for people like him.

However to me Obama is not black. He's mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,214,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Please don't attempt to logically reason with this man about his arbitrary classifications. If a Swede wanted to claim he/she was black this guy would welcome them to the charade with a ceremony. One drop of black blood somewhere in a pinky toe is good enough for people like him.

However to me Obama is not black. He's mixed.
But Obama identifies as black. Does your label trump his own self-identification?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
But Obama identifies as black. Does your label trump his own self-identification?
In Thailand there are bathrooms for the third sex. Thai school adds 'third sex' bathroom for trangender students - New York Daily News
Does their self-identification really create a third sex? Is everyone what they self-identify as? Can I be an Asian man if tomorrow I wake up and proudly declare that I am?

Mine is not a label. It's the truth. No sticky philosophical issues really need to be addressed here.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
In Thailand there are bathrooms for the third sex. Thai school adds 'third sex' bathroom for trangender students - New York Daily News
Does their self-identification really create a third sex? Is everyone what they self-identify as? Can I be an Asian man if tomorrow I wake up and proudly declare that I am?

Mine is not a label. It's the truth. No sticky philosophical issues really need to be addressed here.
The transgender issue does not apply here.

Neither does the Asian analogy unless there's a genetic link. Are one of your parents Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc? If so, sure you can self-identify as Chinese/Korean/Japanese.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The transgender issue does not apply here.

Neither does the Asian analogy unless there's a genetic link. Are one of your parents Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc? If so, sure you can self-identify as Chinese/Korean/Japanese.
Thank you for identifying yourself as someone who is not swayed by the rules of logic. Cheers!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you for identifying yourself as someone who is not swayed by the rules of logic. Cheers!
Nah, I'm just not the sanctimonious type that thinks my POV/opinion should be enforced on others.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,988,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
.....and neither is how he chooses to self identify.

Damn, since when in this country does a black person have to PROVE he's black? When did this little development begin? Used to be that if you were a little too swarthy, you might have some problems. Now, a black man can't be black even if he wants to be.

I know when it started. Sometime around November 2008.
I'm not sure what the fascination with your son's self identity is on this forum but it is a bit odd. I feel if people are of mixed ancestry they should self identify with the ancestry they feel the biggest draw to, and that's their personal decision. Who am I to question a person's personal decision to identify with whatever ancestry they want? People are always so nosy and want to dictate how people should live. I identify and am very proud of my Germanic heritage and would never let someone tell me I couldn't identify with it. I don't begrudge another man or woman the same opportunity.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,079,601 times
Pardon my ignorance on this question, but how are the two mutually exclusive? I don't exactly see race and gender as competing; they're two separate constructs.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
No one is arguing about what your son chooses to self-identify as. Any one can choose to identify themselves as whatever it is that they want. If your son wants to wake up tomorrow and "self identify" as a spotted toad...that's his individual choice. I'm sure he'll have his own reasons as you have already mentioned. But it doesn't mean the rest of us will agree with him though--and that's what's not up for debate.
That's my question that you and others simply fail to answer. When did this little development start where a black man can't be black even if he wants to be? When did white folks become the arbiters of blackness?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,065,834 times
I think black women, and white women, identify race more than gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies