Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

We've got more water than we know what to do with. There may come a time when desalination plants are needed to make the saltwater drinkable like Israel does but that mountain will need to be climbed if it ever comes to that. Who knows when the US may become a desert or half of it an ocean again??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Just like the Keystone pipeline project he's trying to kill.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post

It's a process for extracting oil and gas from the ground. There are some environmental concerns about its use.

The OP here has stated that Obama wants to stop it, but the article he linked shows he actually talks about increasing the use of it. The OP won't admit he's wrong as he is on most every post he makes here. Much like many of the other partisan right wingers, he's high on emotion and completely devoid of any real facts. There's a reason why some people aren't going to college.

Thanks for the reply.
BTW, I recently saw an item on the nightly news about how gas prices are taking an even bigger bite out of people's finances. The reasons given included demand for our oil overseas and also East Coast refineries being closed, but the reason for those refineries closing was not elaborated upon.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Too much money involved, Ohio is doing much better economically with all the gas drilling...fracking has been around for 70 years...nothing new about this other than drilling equipment is much more high tech...
How about you stop pushing industry lies. The fracking they're doing today is nothing like what they did 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, or even 10 years ago.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
NYC water is not simply rainwater...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstat00a.pdf
It is for the most part, that report says 1% is supplied from wells.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

And what drives me nuts about this is that it is just plain old water, nothing more, nothing better than what comes from our own taps.
The quality of tap water varies widely depending where you live. I live in an area tha has great tap water supplied from reservoirs. I often laugh when I hear the locals complain about it since I have had the displeasure of drinking some really bad water from other areas of the country. My new house has a very deep well with outstanding quality, the tap water as good as it was I now consider crap. LOL

Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
We've got more water than we know what to do with. There may come a time when desalination plants are needed to make the saltwater drinkable like Israel does but that mountain will need to be climbed if it ever comes to that. Who knows when the US may become a desert or half of it an ocean again??
So we can't turn to renewable energy because it costs too much, but its cool to pollute our water because we can build de-salinization plants?

You DO understand that the reason we dont' do more de-salinization is because its...... wait for it..... EXPENSIVE..

Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
No I am pro-fracking for natural Gas and the reason the EPA wants to slow it down is because it has become too cheap ...and we have too much stored up too where we have a glut and share holders/investors are losing money on it...

Only way for them to Re-Coup their money is have the EPA shut it down... thus raising the prices here in North America or we offshore it to the ever hungry for energy East Asian markets...
A large part of the reason natural gas prices have stayed so low is that many or most operators hedged their production when natural gas was trading at historic prices. The volume of gas produced and sold hasn't changed much since that bit of unpleasantness in 4th quarter 2008 because many have been selling a significant percentage of their gas at $8, $10, $12 and even $14 per MCF after the hedge correction (and many hedge funds have gone bankrupt). Once the hedges expire and companies have to bear <$4 natural gas spot prices, production will dip precipitously and the market prices will adjust upward. 2012 and 2013 will be interesting years.

As far as what Salazar is proposing, bear in mind that it only affects public lands and also bear in mind that the Texas RRC is already doing this. This doesn't equate to a ban, this means that there are new standards in tracking and permitting. It's essentially the same thing as building codes; it generates additional revenue for the regulating authority and encourages a certain standard of performance. It's not going to have a very significant impact on finding costs nor on volumes as far as I can tell and I can't really even come around to believing that it's unreasonable. The potential for more onerous regulation exists and the stage has been set for it, but this isn't that bad.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Just like the Keystone pipeline project he's trying to kill.
Please don't get me started on the sheer folly of that mess. That pipeline is going to happen eventually, it just looks like we're going to wait and waste a few hundred billion until it's obvious that we're wasting hundreds of billions.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
So we can't turn to renewable energy because it costs too much, but its cool to pollute our water because we can build de-salinization plants?

You DO understand that the reason we dont' do more de-salinization is because its...... wait for it..... EXPENSIVE..
I'm not talking about tomorrow or next year I'm talking decades from now if the water supply starts drying up due to massinve drought for example. You green weenies and you knee jerk reactions are what get us in trouble in the first place. We got plenty of water. Go drop yourself into the middle of the pacific and take a look.

Why does Israel do it?? Because they have to. Pretty simple stuff.

"Israel's national water company signed a financing agreement to build a desalination plant, which officials said could allow drought-ridden Israel to export water to its neighbors upon completion in 2013."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7B50V520111206
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies