Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Requiring a woman to be informed before making her choice (to kill her baby) is not an unreasonable demand. The pro-abortion crowd is upset that public opinion has finally turned against them. Thay is why they want to turn the topic from abortion to contraception. No one is going to take the bait on that, despite the pushing of the liberal media.
I'm a R--not a D. The virginia house just passed a bill that would effectively ban most forms of birth control by declaring that life begins at the moment of fertilization. I don't think it's the D's pushing the birth control issue--the radical right end of the R party moved that one forward all on their own, and you don't have a majority of R women with you on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Looks like VA voters APPROVE of the measure.

Moving ahead | WORLD Virginia

A very credible pollster with an excellent reputation.

Looks like the OP is in the minority.

I wonder how many they polled in Northern Va. Not many I see lol

Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Can someone please explain the hypocrisy of conservatives. They claim they want less government interference. But when it concerns social issues it's ok. Is this correct?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Can someone please explain the hypocrisy of conservatives. They claim they want less government interference. But when it concerns social issues it's ok. Is this correct?
It's apparently the only way conservative men can get into women's pants.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
I wonder how many they polled in Northern Va. Not many I see lol
Where do you see this?

Quote:
Government intruded in the abortion issue in the first place, when the court found a "right" to kill your in utero baby.

The pro-abortion monsters at Planned Parenthood are terrified women will change their mind and keep/adopt instead of kill their baby.

See, uneducated women have been told for years and years that what they are ripping to shreds is not really a baby, not really human...just a clump of cells.

An ultrasound will shoot that to all heck.

Besides, they can choose to not have the ultrasound by going to another state that doesn't require it.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
It's an old quote, but just as true today as it was in 1981:

“The Moral Majority supports legislators who oppose abortions but also oppose child nutrition and day care. From their perspective, life begins at conception and ends at birth.”

The Virginia state government is completely under GOP control, and - just as it has happened in other states - the GOP here is passing the legislative equivalent of a right-wingnut's wet dream. Here's a political party that SAYS it's against big, intrusive government, but they will pass legislation that is extremely intrusive.

Not only will Virginia compel women to undergo this unneeded and invasive ultrasound, but for what I believe is the first time ever, Virginia will dictate a specific medical procedure to doctors in the state.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Transvaginal US are pretty common really early in pregnancy. I had them with both my older children when I was less than 10 weeks pregnant. I would assume that's the reason they are using that method.

Just out of curiousity, wouldn't the actual abortion be equally as invasive, in fact, even more so? It's not like they can do that with a wand over the belly, like a traditional US.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
I've read some opinions that this bill is intentionally political posturing with the knowledge that if signed into law it will be struck down by the courts. The pubbies get to say they tried, and get to blame "activist courts", a twofer win.

Seriously, usually unwanted penetration like the proposed t-v sono is called penetrative sexual assault with a foreign object. It serves no medical purpose for either the patient or the doctor doing the abortion. Its purpose is to intimidate and harrass, and it won't stand up in court. Not that Cooch won't spend more of our tax dollars trying to defend it when that day comes, though.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Transvaginal US are pretty common really early in pregnancy. I had them with both my older children when I was less than 10 weeks pregnant. I would assume that's the reason they are using that method.

Just out of curiousity, wouldn't the actual abortion be equally as invasive, in fact, even more so? It's not like they can do that with a wand over the belly, like a traditional US.
There's a difference between an unwanted invasive act and the actual medical procedure one goes in for. Should they do a colonoscopy while they're at it? Heck, you're already being invaded, what's the big deal?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where do you see this?

Government intruded in the abortion issue in the first place, when the court found a "right" to kill your in utero baby.

The pro-abortion monsters at Planned Parenthood are terrified women will change their mind and keep/adopt instead of kill their baby.

See, uneducated women have been told for years and years that what they are ripping to shreds is not really a baby, not really human...just a clump of cells.

An ultrasound will shoot that to all heck.

Besides, they can choose to not have the ultrasound by going to another state that doesn't require it.
Sorry, Northern Va is mostly democratic and would never agree to this law. I don't even know how to address the part in bold. No one is pro abortion but abortion is legal and PP provides that service. To think that you really believe that they enjoy doing that really blows my mind. And why do you say uneducated women. You think they are the only ones who get an abortion.....really? Even some educated women believe that it's only cells. So who is going to pay for these mandatory ultrasounds.
You still didn't answer my question about conservatives wanting less government in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies