Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I will take it for granted that you know nothing about the threat of an EMP. One would be all it takes to wipe out much of the ability of this nation to defend itself. Also you happen to live a bit too close to where the EMP is to be detonated when it happens. Look into the thing.
Electro magnetic pulse? Your kidding me. The military has been shielding their equipment since the 50s, and many of the electronics today are shielded, even your phone.

You've watched "Escape from LA" to many times man.

Last edited by Memphis1979; 02-16-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Damn those Admirals of the US Navy, right?

Describe this "warhead"

Yes fear mongering.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,919,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I want the salvage rights to whatever is left of our fleets if we are stupid enough to attack Iran. They do not need any nuclear weapons to stop an invasion in its tracks. If we do I expect Iran to have international news feeds on the beaches and in the air to broadcast that we started and invasion and they stopped it. We will get our Arse kicked because we believe our own propaganda and have lost touch with the concept of fighting a war with people that can fight back.

The “suicide” boat the OP mentioned does not need any people on board to find and hit our surface ships. The entire job can be done with a laptop PC and a few infrared sensors. No nukes required. Just modern electronics, decent programmers and a people willing to give the worlds biggest bully a well deserved punch in the nose.
I think it's very foolish to underestimate Iran. The regime is more powerful and wealthy than the other "rogue" states out there, and they've had the benefit of sitting on the sidelines watching what works and what doesn't when it comes to fighting the US. It's obvious that the key to beating our carrier battle groups is asymmetric warfare. It doesn't matter if that's small-craft launched anti-ship missiles, mines, suicide boats, or (and most likely) all of the above and then some. I know that if I was Ahmadinejad, I'd use all my resources available to prepare. Building thousands of fast-attack craft is feasible. Imagine that only 10% have warheads, well we'd still have to destroy all of them before they reached our ships.

The good news for us is that our admirals are not so stupid as to keep surface ships anywhere close to Iranian forces. The whole idea of a carrier is to be able to be far enough away that you can be out of your enemy's range but still able to attack them.

Of course, us cruising through the strait would be the *perfect* time for Iran to strike. In the short-term they could sink anything and everything that sails through. However, in the long-term this would be game over for their regime and they know it. And by long-term I mean a month or 2.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
However, in the long-term this would be game over for their regime and they know it. And by long-term I mean a month or 2.

Even if that were so (haven't we heard that before?) the Straits would remain closed the whole time because the insurance companies wouldn't let ships go through there.

Two months without any Gulf oil getting out? You can kiss the world economy goodbye.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Is there a reason why we must sit on our butts waiting on someone else to be the attacker? Just wondering since recovery might take a very long time.
Yes, the reason is our troops are exhausted from doing multiple tours in a war we didn't need to be in. Look at what the cost was for them. And now you want to send them back out there. Are you kidding me. I would rather sit on my butt and let them attack then to send our troops out there again. You want protection then protect yourself And screw recovery since you are only thinking about yourself and not our troops.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,859,880 times
America could blow Iran to bits from the air.

There is no reason to ever send in American troops. Somebody else can clean up the mess.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
America could blow Iran to bits from the air.

There is no reason to ever send in American troops. Somebody else can clean up the mess.

Yeah. How's that workin' in Afghanistan?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM

15,097 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Such hubris and underestimation of our enemies has gotten us into trouble before.

The Taliban, Saddam Hussein, the North Vietnamese, Somali warlords and Lebanese militia's were "easy" to defeat too. And, that's just recently. Going back a little further, we could include the Philippine insurrectionist's, the Seminoles, the Confederate states and the British/Canadian's.

How did those work out for ya?
Short wars don't make nearly as much money as long protracted conflicts do.

But short memories are the war profiteers best friend.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM

15,097 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
I wonder what our leader will say to the Admiral who says this is the case. I also wonder what happens when Iran, the nation that has the fastest torpedoes in the world uses them with nuclear warheads. They wouldn't do a thing like using those after the US unilaterally gets rid of all but 300 of their nuclear bombs, would they? I bet Obama thinks the answer is no.

U.S. Naval Commander: Iran Has (http://cowboybyte.com/4289/u-s-naval-commander-iran-has-suicide-boats-outfitted-with-large-warheads/ - broken link)
You don't know very much about "nookular" weapons, do you Roy?

They aren't designed for such uses.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 PM

802 posts, read 564,453 times
Has anyone ever seen that video of the Iranian missle that can be launched off a ship into the water and it travels so fast the camera man has trouble keeping up with it? It can travel underwater at speeds up to 400 mph. Also I just saw tonight that the Iranians have some kind of winged attack boat that flies above the water lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies