Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Maybe, we should get a "American white girl" museum!!
I thought that was the Playboy Mansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Most museums honor and cater mostly white accomplishments.
Untrue! What color are all the artists in every major art museum in America? What prevents any black with talent to pick up a paint brush? Nothing ever did, save for the dues paid by any stereotypical starving artist. Volunteering to starve for art isn't attractive to normal people, but it is to people who have a passion to create.

Lack of patrons (blacks and women have always been held at distance in deference to males), perhaps you have a point long ago, but in the modern world, art is very color blind if you'll pardon the pun. If a painting is universal and moves the spirit, it touches the common thread of humanity. If blacks would rather play sports than participate in artistic endeavors, that's their choice, and we need to honor that about them. If what is coming out of Maya Angelou's mouth is brilliant, it simply IS. Color of mouth irrelevant.

I don't hear white guys or the midgets whining they've been discriminated against in the NBA. Clearly black physique gives them a competitive advantage that dominates that sport and they simply deserve it. I don't cry foul when there are no women in the NFL. I definitely don't belong there. Not now, not ever. Just be fair with each other. Merits are merits are merits.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I thought that was the Playboy Mansion.
Too bad white women aren't more than a nationalized town wh*re to you. What a shame. I hope you qualify your opinion someday.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Wow...speaking of vile hatred...take a look at your own post. A little overboard don't you think?

I would say the birther thing is a little loony but to say they're the most vicious haters in 60 years? Come on now.

Why should an office holder not have to prove he's eligible for the office? It's a pretty simple thing. To be President you need to be born in the USA. He's President, and wouldn't show proof he was born in the USA. So what's the big deal about people getting suspicious?
You are completely wrong. They are for the most part, Vicious haters. Not only are they haters they are cowards also because anyone with even half a brain knows what the real issue is here. The real issue is that Obama is a man of colour and this is the new cowards way to attack a man because he is brown and not white like they believe all presidents should be. Now, those of them that are not racists that are birthers for some other reason are just your regular run of the mill ignoramuses.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Untrue! What color are all the artists in every major art museum in America? What prevents any black with talent to pick up a paint brush? Nothing ever did, save for the dues paid by any stereotypical starving artist. Volunteering to starve for art isn't attractive to normal people, but it is to people who have a passion to create.

Lack of patrons (blacks and women have always been held at distance in deference to males), perhaps you have a point long ago, but in the modern world, art is very color blind if you'll pardon the pun. If a painting is universal and moves the spirit, it touches the common thread of humanity. If blacks would rather play sports than participate in artistic endeavors, that's their choice, and we need to honor that about them. If what is coming out of Maya Angelou's mouth is brilliant, it simply IS. Color of mouth irrelevant.

I don't hear white guys or the midgets whining they've been discriminated against in the NBA. Clearly black physique gives them a competitive advantage that dominates that sport and they simply deserve it. I don't cry foul when there are no women in the NFL. I definitely don't belong there. Not now, not ever. Just be fair with each other. Merits are merits are merits.

Why would they complain when Larry Bird, who is mentioned with the greatest, is white himself? He is mentioned among Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and other great NBA players. You have white NBA players that are mentioned with the greatest. Hell, Larry Bird is put above some of the greatest. He has his own monument and was ranked #30 out of the top 50 NBA players. Bob Cousy, one of the first NBA players to become big, was also white. Whites were never discriminated in the NBA. The NBA started out majority white. That "blacks have an advantage at sports" argument does not work with someone who knows sports history.

But, when was the last time you heard someone bring up Benjamin Banneker? When was the last time you heard someone bring up Dr. Benjamin Carson or George Carruthers? These are all blacks who have done great things. But, how often do you hear these names?

The ones who do/did other things just don't get recognized.

Last edited by Ilovethecommunity; 02-17-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Or better yet just an" American Women Museum", who cares!! It's when a President does things like this at election time it becomes politics as usual.

President's should just deal with Foreign and domestic affairs, we have plenty for this President to be doing.
You mean like these?

The Women's Museum | Home

National Museum of Women in the Arts.

National Women's History Museum - NWHM

U.S. Army Women's Museum - Fort Lee, Virginia

Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Too bad white women aren't more than a nationalized town wh*re to you. What a shame. I hope you qualify your opinion someday.
Whoa!!!! I think he was being facetious. In fact, i'm pretty sure he was.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Well, when I was a working man, (retired) The black folks at work, put a display up for a week or so during AA month. I had no issue with the idea of displaying accomplishments of any one group, but the a lot of it focused on slavery and I would have liked to have seen it focus more on black accomplishments. After it was over, one person (black) complained not enough people came to see it, she said ''maybe they were scared''. Pretty stupid thing to say. Does anyone white really want their nose rubbed in the fact there was slavery? We are not proud of it and do not need to be reminded at every turn.

Several years ago they opened this in the down town area of the city...
August Wilson Center for African American Culture

I think it was a bad idea, not the museum, but having it separate and standing alone. I understand they wanted their own thing, but to gain more exposer, especially for white folks to see it, it should have been incorporated with the Carnegie museum in the Oakland section of the city. No one, blacks included, are supporting it and it is in danger of closing. Had it been incorporated with the Carnegie, this would probably not be happening. Shaping the building like a slave ship was another bad idea buy the planners, It tends to drive white people away. Again we don't need to be reminded at every turn.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Votes -- but what surprises me is that Obama has to worry about the votes of blacks. Even with the fact that under Obama, the unemployment rate of blacks is higher than any other group, I would have assumed 95% of blacks would be expected to vote for him anyhow.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Votes -- but what surprises me is that Obama has to worry about the votes of blacks. Even with the fact that under Obama, the unemployment rate of blacks is higher than any other group, I would have assumed 95% of blacks would be expected to vote for him anyhow.
95% of blacks vote for the Democratic Candidate even when he is white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies