Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
it is immoral to give money to corporations so they can go and give it to their cronies the lobbyist republicans. for that sole reason lobbyists should be abolish destroy!! they are political no more about america!!
agree!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Speaking of auto plants I once again ask, If Right to Work works, then why did the GM plant close in Oklahoma, a Right to Work state? It did so during Bush's recession.
Because the plant was a typical, high-cost union shop complete with anti-productivity work rules and contractual wages in excess of the value of the labor. It's pretty simple.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Stillwater, If unions offer a good service, RTW is not a threat to them. But alas they don't, and in most RTW states, a minority of employees opt to join the union racket.

Perhaps someday unions will wake up, offer a good service that is conducive to steady employment and win-win environments, and grow again. But I would not bet they would change to doing that, and unless they do, RTW states will grow in number and population.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Stillwater, If unions offer a good service, RTW is not a threat to them. But alas they don't, and in most RTW states, a minority of employees opt to join the union racket.
Then Right to Work Hucksters better be careful of what they wish for. Passing Right to Work may make unions work harder than ever to represent workers in hopes they won't see fit to drop their union memberships. If the main point of bringing in Right to Work is to get rid of labor unions, then it could backfire.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Then why is it so right that workers in a unionized workplace, who don't pay a dime into a union, get to have full representation by the union after such workers file grievances against the company? How is this so right and so fair to the union? People need to wake up and see that the main point to passing right to work is so the company boss can do as he pleases in running roughshod over the union contract once enough workers can be persuaded to drop union membership so the union won't have enough money to legally challenge the boss's moves.
Why do unions have to push their services upon us. I don't want to be represented. If unions insist on representing me, why should I pay for that?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Then Right to Work Hucksters better be careful of what they wish for. Passing Right to Work may make unions work harder than ever to represent workers in hopes they won't see fit to drop their union memberships. If the main point of bringing in Right to Work is to get rid of labor unions, then it could backfire.
If that is the case, what are you guys complaining about?

You get better unions, we don't have to join or pay for something we don't want or support.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
High damn time the unions EARN their membership and dues rather than have it handed to them on a silver platter by the laws.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 AM

428 posts, read 487,375 times
Something that strikes me as odd about right-to-work is that unions still have to represent non-union employees. Why are employees who don't pay union dues allowed to reap the benefits of having a union?

And from what I've read about right-to-work states, non-union employees are still bound by the union contract. So non-union employees still can't negotiate their own wage and benefits with the company?

From what I'm gathering so far, what a right-to-work law only really does is potentially weaken the union while giving the illusion of power to the worker. Something so absurd can't be right, can it? I'll keep researching.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Why do unions have to push their services upon us. I don't want to be represented. If unions insist on representing me, why should I pay for that?
Unions do not insist on representing you. Like all other workers, you get to vote on whether a union will represent you. Once the union is certified the union has a legally enforceable duty to represent you whether you are a member or not.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Perhaps someday unions will wake up, offer a good service that is conducive to steady employment and win-win environments, and grow again. But I would not bet they would change to doing that, and unless they do, RTW states will grow in number and population.
So let's see, unions are so powerful that they force employers to pay benefits that are too high and costly for the employer.

They also are so ineffective that they do nothing for workers,, so they need the law to protect them because otherwise workers wouldn't vote for them.

I guess consistency isn't your strong suit.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 02-20-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies