Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

I dislike union shops that say "you can only work here if you are in the union".

Right to work protects workers from unions that would force them to pay dues simply to get a job.

Thats how they help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What union are you a boss in? You sure sound like one of those people.
Typical of your approach to debates. You have no substantive response so you descend to the level of ad hominem attacks.

You have nothing to add to any conversation I've seen you participate in.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 02-17-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I dislike union shops that say "you can only work here if you are in the union".

Right to work protects workers from unions that would force them to pay dues simply to get a job.

Thats how they help.

If they (the workers) benefit from the union doing their contract negotiations, why should they not have to join or pay dues?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Michigan, the bastion of uniondom, led the US in unemployment for the vast majority of the last decade, OP. The transplants have provided tens of thousands of jobs, and have yet to open one in a closed shop state. 3 are scouting new site locations, and all are in RTW states. The reality is all closed shop does is reduce future employment opportunities.

Unions exist in RTW states, but management manages. The inmates are not running the asylum, as is often the atmostphere in a closed shop, unionized facility.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
If they (the workers) benefit from the union doing their contract negotiations, why should they not have to join or pay dues?
It is illegal for a company to show favoritism like that, so they have to pay all for the extra income or benefits.

But I'm not talking about benefits alone. I'm saying that the rules about "Its a union shop, if you want to work here, you HAVE to be in the union", is ended when you enact right to work.

No one should be forced to be in a union, or pay union dues, simply to get a job.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Right-to-work is great for workers who are happy to be paid what they are worth. Compulsory unionism is great for workers who want more than that...until the plant shuts down.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
"No one should be forced to be in a union, or pay union dues, simply to get a job".

Amen. The union steward did not provide the capital to start the business. The owners, who are management, DID.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It is illegal for a company to show favoritism like that, so they have to pay all for the extra income or benefits.

But I'm not talking about benefits alone. I'm saying that the rules about "Its a union shop, if you want to work here, you HAVE to be in the union", is ended when you enact right to work.

No one should be forced to be in a union, or pay union dues, simply to get a job.

So hundreds of workers are going to negotiate their own contracts or work for what ever is offered?

Maybe everybody should work for minimum wage.......no favoritism at all. You can go first.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So hundreds of workers are going to negotiate their own contracts or work for what ever is offered?
Yeah, I'm in the hiring process with another company now. Negotiation of benefits and pay are part of that hiring process.

Every individual does the same when they are hired. If you don't like the benefits, then go somewhere else. If you are a valuable asset, like they seem to think I am, you get more.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Right-to-work is great for workers who are happy to be paid what they are worth. Compulsory unionism is great for workers who want more than that...until the plant shuts down.
A big happy for management to pay workers, less then what they are worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies