Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:48 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Definitely $3,500 per year. Why? Because you'll get "free" benefits close to $60,000 per year.

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

However, I take issue because a one-parent family is really often two parents.

This is something I saw working as an enumerator for the Census Bureau. You have a single mother with 1-5 kids living in HUD tax-payer subsidized housing, and living with her is a male who often is the father of at least one of the kids, and he has a decent job usually earning $12-$20 an hour.

Now, the *******s will lie and scream and cry that they are impoverished, but the facts speak for themselves. They are not in poverty at all. They live better than many people live.

That was one of the things that aggravated me when I was working as a cable-TV installer. I am working my ass off for a living and I worked for the damn cable company, but I couldn't afford to have cable-TV and here are these people on welfare getting cable-TV.

How in the Hell can that possibly be?

Not only did they have cable-TV, but they were driving $30,000 to $40,000 cars (and that was in the early 1980s). Again, how in the Hell is that possible?

Well, I found out how it was possible. Again, these women have a live in lover that provides a huge chunk of income in addition to the tax bennies they get.

So here's someone getting $7,200 per year in HUD benefits, $800 per year in heat/electricity subsidies, $1,380 in cash subsidies from the State, $4,382 in cash SSI benefits from the federal government, $5,784 in Food Stamp benefits, $792 in WIC benefits, $4,694 in Medicaid benefits (and that doesn't count any procedures or prescription drugs, plus $1,580 in earned income credit.

So, $27,000 per year, plus the unclaimed income from their live-in lover.

And people want to give them more?

The system is insane...

Mircea
Since you are basing a lot of this off of experiences you had in the 1980s I think a lot of that is off. Nowadays many welfare bennies related to children are tied to the recipient pursuing child support. That was one of the major reforms in the 1996 welfare bill. Basically if you have kids and you want public assistance you are going to need to actively pursue child support and child support estimates are factored into reduce what the state hands out, or directly paid to the state to offset welfare. This measure was designed so states could reduce the amount of welfare they paid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
What exactly brain dead math were they using to get the federal and payroll tax amount for those making $60,000

Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Since you are basing a lot of this off of experiences you had in the 1980s I think a lot of that is off. Nowadays many welfare bennies related to children are tied to the recipient pursuing child support. That was one of the major reforms in the 1996 welfare bill. Basically if you have kids and you want public assistance you are going to need to actively pursue child support and child support estimates are factored into reduce what the state hands out, or directly paid to the state to offset welfare. This measure was designed so states could reduce the amount of welfare they paid out.
The fly in the ointment is benefits aren't "disposable income." The premise is busted right there.

I really don't care want welfare was in 1980's today, post-welfare reform things are different....

$16,500 Medicaid is a number pulled out of the air. The $60k family doesn't have medical concerns?

Many middle income employers provided or assist with day care needs. McDonald's not so much...

The op and his crazy Blogger failed to calculate the added benefits the $60k family enjoys from their employer(s), health care, 401k, employee discounts, life insurance, education reimbursement, paid training, use of company equipment for personal use (surfing the internet and making personal calls when you're supposed to be working)

One fi

Last edited by buzzards27; 02-18-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
No surprise every lefty rushes in defending this insanity.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Its not even true. The author of the article lied. The author counted medicaid as disposable income (its not). Not to mention, the author absolutely lied about the taxes the family making $60,000 paid. Outright lied about it. Do the math, under no circumstances is a family making $60,000 paying the $13,000 in federal and payroll taxes (even without the payroll tax cut taken into consideration). The author made it up, lied. Do the math, the income tax calcs and tax brackets are easy enough to find.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Don't worry you folks will get your wish soon and nobody will be paying taxes. Then what will you do? LOL. Any defense of this entitlement landslide we are on is pathetic. Folks used to be ashamed and were mocked for living off others. Nowdays if you work hard and try and make a living your laughed at by the leeches for being a sucker. How times have changed.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM

78,398 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
KUchief, I'm as fiscally conservative as most people but your numbers are just flat out busted.

Take the mea culpa, go to snopes.com and bookmark it.

Falling for things like this does not help make a reasonable case for needed reforms in some areas.

I understand your *general* point and some of it is valid, just this article is largley garbage overall.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Their not my numbers. I simply posted an article. Now all I hear is folks squealing about a number off here and there instead of the real point which is the entitlement insanity that is taking this country over.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The Blogger needed to use that lie, medical coverage is income, to make his story work. Where is the ADDITION to the $60K family's income for their medical coverage? Are they one of those middle class families that lost their employer provided insurance?

TANF is a temp program, 5 year LIFETIME entitlement.

Check the wording of the blog, is it a family of 3 or 4? Are the family even the same size?

Eligibility of each program and how much benefits from one would affect others is questionable.

SNAP payment is overstated. For a family of four living on min wage their MAX benefit would be $408 a month or $4900 a year. Is Mississippi paying less than Max?

A Quick Guide to Food Stamp Eligibility and Benefits — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Partially true!!!

The states are allowed to waive time limits for approximately 25% of their TANF recipients if they qualify() as hardship cases.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Their not my numbers. I simply posted an article. Now all I hear is folks squealing about a number off here and there instead of the real point which is the entitlement insanity that is taking this country over.
Is that what you tell everyone when they call you on one off those pack of lies wingnut emails that you forward?

If your going to post something you should research a bit, maybe actually read the full article. See if someone, comments after the article, did some myth busting already.

It isn't everyone else's job to debunk whatever trash you post. Really makes you look bad.

Clearly, you are cutting and pasting stuff without fully reading it and without fully understanding what is in your article. Another think, your really should be extracting text from article and posting those words as your own, CD TOS asks that you only use a sentence or two from a source and link to the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies